Captain America: Civil War

My wife wants to see it tomorrow for Mother's Day, and then she requested we surprise her by taking her to Famous Dave's.

I was bored because I couldn't follow the story. I saw the previous movies, but forgot all about them, so my son had to explain who the Winter Soldier was, and why he was important to Captain America, and what he did that caused all the problems to begin with.

Because they showed a small scene where he caused a car to crash on the side of the road, but that's the only hint they gave until way into the movie when I was already confused.

And I thought they made the story move forward by having Tony Stark carry the "idiot ball." He basically acted really stupid and refused to listen to anything Captain America had to say, and then after he started listening, he became stupid again and demanded revenge, even though he knew the guy had been brainwashed. So really, I didn't buy any of it.

And I thought they made the story move forward by having Tony Stark carry the "idiot ball." He basically acted really stupid and refused to listen to anything Captain America had to say, and then after he started listening, he became stupid again and demanded revenge, even though he knew the guy had been brainwashed. So really, I didn't buy any of it.

Okay, that's one way of looking at it.

Another way of looking at it was that the Stark character has gone from being someone who wanted to use his technical genius to help people, but over the course of five movies, has seen his technologies perverted into ways that hurt people.

So by this movie, he has largely given up being Iron Man, and is perfectly willing to let the UN make decisions because, frankly, he hasn't had a really good track record up to this point. The confrontration with the mother whose son was killed in the last movie was pretty good.

The thing that made this movie work for me was that you could see both Iron Man and Cap's point of view. Neither one of them was "wrong", and both of them were trying to find solutions to the problem.

My sympathies were always on the side of Captain America. For a superhero team to submit to the will of the United Nations, you might as well hang it up, because they will have you peacekeeping in some hellhole African country, while real problems are ignored.

My sympathies were always on the side of Captain America. For a superhero team to submit to the will of the United Nations, you might as well hang it up, because they will have you peacekeeping in some hellhole African country, while real problems are ignored.

Well, of course they are, because you are a Libertarian Loon with a dog-eared copy of Atlas Shrugged.

Frankly, I look at Cap's character, and see a character that is totally at odds with the one from Captain America II: The Winter Soldier who questioned unchecked authority when SHIELD wanted to put high-altitude helicarriers in the air, and was proven right when we found out SHIELD had been infiltrated by HYDRA.

I had a harder time accepting his character's arc than I did Iron Man's.

I was actually against Captain America, and thought Stark had the right idea. The only reason that Cap and the Avenger's actions are acceptable, in our eyes, are because they are doing what we think is "right". But that is oftentimes pretty debatable. Now, when it comes to world saving, like in the 1st or 2nd Avengers movies, I think that crying over collateral damage is missing the big picture...as the planet has been saved. However, taking the specific incident in the movie that sparks all of this, the African incident, let's examine this from their perspective.

Imagine that a foreign staffed and owned band of elite military personnel came into America. In this case let us just say that they come from China. Now, imagine that they came to fight a band of "terrorists" conducting operations on our soil, but that they had not told any of our leaders, military, or people that they were conducting said operations. Now, let us put them in a highly populated city, maybe Boston, and have shit go south and have them end up killing (unintentionally) and injuring hundreds of American citizens. Now, given this hypothetical scenario, where Chinese special forces came into our nation, didn't work with our people and caused a ton of collateral damage...would ANY of this by okay with the majority of Americans? Hell no.

Well, this is what they did in the opening sequence. Now Cap is well-intentioned and he is, literally, an archetypal good guy superhero. We are okay with his actions because we trust in his judgment and see it from his perspective. However, if he was named Captain China and was running amok in our nation unchecked I'd hazard to say we may very well be on the opposite side...and with that in mind, I think that Stark is in the right here.

The movie certainly had high receipts; $181.79 million according to a source.

I was actually against Captain America, and thought Stark had the right idea. The only reason that Cap and the Avenger's actions are acceptable, in our eyes, are because they are doing what we think is "right". But that is oftentimes pretty debatable. Now, when it comes to world saving, like in the 1st or 2nd Avengers movies, I think that crying over collateral damage is missing the big picture...as the planet has been saved. However, taking the specific incident in the movie that sparks all of this, the African incident, let's examine this from their perspective.

Imagine that a foreign staffed and owned band of elite military personnel came into America. In this case let us just say that they come from China. Now, imagine that they came to fight a band of "terrorists" conducting operations on our soil, but that they had not told any of our leaders, military, or people that they were conducting said operations. Now, let us put them in a highly populated city, maybe Boston, and have shit go south and have them end up killing (unintentionally) and injuring hundreds of American citizens. Now, given this hypothetical scenario, where Chinese special forces came into our nation, didn't work with our people and caused a ton of collateral damage...would ANY of this by okay with the majority of Americans? Hell no.

Well, this is what they did in the opening sequence. Now Cap is well-intentioned and he is, literally, an archetypal good guy superhero. We are okay with his actions because we trust in his judgment and see it from his perspective. However, if he was named Captain China and was running amok in our nation unchecked I'd hazard to say we may very well be on the opposite side...and with that in mind, I think that Stark is in the right here.
Captain America puts his faith in individuals, including himself. Tony Stark puts his faith in the collective. I think that's what this movie is about.

Captain America puts his faith in individuals, including himself. Tony Stark puts his faith in the collective. I think that's what this movie is about.
Captain America has always been about protecting America even before he was given his abilities.....Tony Stark.....sometimes.....

And that is the thing...in a real world with the Avengers...do you think they would actually behave like that....that Steve Rogers would not coordinate with a government before the operation....? That is where the movie forces the issue because they need to generate conflict.....

I haven't seen the movie yet.....is it true they want them supervised by the U.N..........the guys who stood by in Rwanda during the genocide of about 800,000 people...whose military are constantly implicated in sex trafficking in the countries they set up shop? Who puts Iran, and Syria and other 3rd world monsters on human rights commisions....those are the people who should be in charge of calling on the Avengers?

Seems like Stark has become a big government statist in this movie.....

Okay, that's one way of looking at it.

Another way of looking at it was that the Stark character has gone from being someone who wanted to use his technical genius to help people, but over the course of five movies, has seen his technologies perverted into ways that hurt people.

So by this movie, he has largely given up being Iron Man, and is perfectly willing to let the UN make decisions because, frankly, he hasn't had a really good track record up to this point. The confrontration with the mother whose son was killed in the last movie was pretty good.

The thing that made this movie work for me was that you could see both Iron Man and Cap's point of view. Neither one of them was "wrong", and both of them were trying to find solutions to the problem.

Yeah....and he makes an even dumber decision to give up power to the U.N.....they have a great track record.......just ask the Rwandans.....

And that is the thing...in a real world with the Avengers...do you think they would actually behave like that....that Steve Rogers would not coordinate with a government before the operation....? That is where the movie forces the issue because they need to generate conflict.....

I haven't seen the movie yet.....is it true they want them supervised by the U.N..........the guys who stood by in Rwanda during the genocide of about 800,000 people...whose military are constantly implicated in sex trafficking in the countries they set up shop? Who puts Iran, and Syria and other 3rd world monsters on human rights commisions....those are the people who should be in charge of calling on the Avengers?

I'm sure the UN in their universe is different than the one in ours..

But to the point, I can see why this movie upsets you. The concept that people who are capable of doing some really dangerous stuff should be registered and monitored by the government. Oh, the horror of it all.

Yeah....and he makes an even dumber decision to give up power to the U.N.....they have a great track record.......just ask the Rwandans.....

Are there Rawandans in the Marvel Universe? Weren't they annexed by Wakanda (The Black Panthers fictional country)

I'm not sure what your complaint is with the UN? Could they have done something to prevent the Hutus and Tutsi's from killing each other? Maybe. Maybe not. Theres just not a lot you can do when a whole country loses its mind.

Forum List

Back