Civil War (In Theaters)

g5000

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2011
I had heard this was a good movie, and a few friends who have seen it said it was a good movie, but I was still surprised how good this movie is.

The second American civil war is already in progress when the movie starts. There are 19 secessionist states.

California and Texas have banded together to form the Western Forces, and they are winning.

I don't know in what bizarro universe Texas and California would band together, but never mind that.

Despite the huge plotline, the movie focuses very tightly on a band of journalists who plan on interviewing the President (Nick Offerman) before he is overthrown. This means putting their lives at risk as they move through the front lines documenting various battles along the way.

Kirsten Dunst is the lead character, portraying a war torn photojournalist on the verge of burnout. She is unwillingly shepherding a 23 year old Bambi photojournalist and an aged journalist who really should not be along for the ride. Wagner Moura as Joel rounds out the cast.

This is one you will want to see while it is still in theaters. The final battle for DC is worth the price of admission.

Last edited:
I had heard this was a good movie, and a few friends who have seen it said it was a good movie, but I was still surprised how good this movie is.

The second American civil war is already in progress when the movie starts. There are 19 secessionist states.

California and Texas have banded together with other states to form the Western Forces, and they are winning.

I don't know in what bizarro universe Texas and California would band together, but never mind that.

Despite the huge plotline, the movie focuses very tightly on a band of journalists who plan on interviewing the President (Nick Offerman) before he is overthrown. This means putting their lives at risk as they move through the front lines documenting various battles along the way.

Kirsten Dunst is the lead character, portraying a war torn photojournalist on the verge of burnout. She is unwillingly shepherding a 23 year old Bambi photojournalist and an aged journalist who really should not be along for the ride. Wagner Moura as Joel rounds out the cast.

This is one you will want to see while it is still in theaters. The final battle for DC is worth the price of admission.

I thought it was decent. Saw on IMAX. Acting was really good, visuals were arresting, sound was crazy immersive and the tension was constant. You were certain any or all main characters could or would die any second all movie.

It’s not political so if you want to attend to see who the movie maker thinks is better at fighting a civil war or more righteous, the right or left, you are out of luck.

It seemed like it wanted to tell an important message but I missed it. Just seemed like a movie glorifying violence to condemn it. Meh. But I enjoyed it.

I too have heard good things about this flick. I would like to see it.

". . . . We see these extremes every day, from the serious to the silly: conservatives who want gun control criticized by right-wing extremists who give their children guns for Christmas, liberals who reject other liberals because they weren’t as vocal about one social injustice as they were for another, and grifters who make audacious claims and promise the truth, for a monthly fee. More distressingly, we’re seeing horseshoe theory in action, with supposed liberals saying they’ll vote for Trump after being incensed by Biden’s support of Israel against Palestine, or that they won’t vote at all, as if any such choice allows them a moral high ground that absolves them of any further suffering people will endure.

We form our personalities around these ideologies and become so enmeshed in them that we start to lose sight of what we stand for, and who our allies and enemies really are, until it all dissolves into chaos.

While I am personally unbothered, I found it interesting that I couldn’t even talk about this movie on socials without a couple of people insinuating I, a Black writer who is vocally liberal, was supporting a film that supports neo-Nazis. Does an obligatory, and legally necessary credit of Andy Ngo, for the use of seconds of footage that shows where America’s conflict resides mean Garland supports him? Does a thank you in the credits to a controversial journalist whose right-wing writing undoubtedly informed Garland’s thinking while making Civil War suggest the film is aligned with TERFism? Or is Garland’s film merely showing us images, all the way through the credits, that force us to ask questions of whether the acknowledgment of work we don’t agree with means the entire endeavor is worthless and contains no truth that we can acknowledge?.. . . "

The joining of Texas and California was brilliant, for a movie that is supposedly so realistic, you don't want to give any actual states any ideas. Make this an arrangement that is too ridiculous to take seriously.

The director said the goal of the film is to remind people that this can happen to any country, and frequently does, and a divided and heavily armed one is as good a place as any to start.

Last edited:
The joining of Texas and California was brilliant, for a movie that is supposedly so realistic, you don't want to give any actual states any ideas. Make this an arrangement that is too ridiculous to take seriously.

The director said the goal of the film is to remind people that this can happen to any country, and frequently does, and a divided and heavily armed one is as good a place as any to start.
Yeah, you really can't tell what anyone's political beliefs on either side are in this movie, with the exception of the guy played by Jesse Plemons who is taking advantage of the war to carry out his own personal racist agenda, which is exactly what you would expect in such a situation.

Not the historic Civil War but a digital modern remake that no doubt portrays the usual suspects as right wing militia. Ho hum.

After watching this video and reading the comments, I suppose I can wait for the video or streaming. . . whenever.

Folks that have seen it are saying meh. Not too real.

The Critical Drinker & Nerdrotic were not impressed either.

Last edited:
After watching this video and reading the comments, I suppose I can wait for the video or streaming. . . whenever.

Folks that have seen it are saying meh. Not too real.

The Critical Drinker & Nerdrotic were not impressed either.

We went. There were a total of 8 people in the theater at a 7:30pm show. 🤦‍♂️.

Yes, wait till it hits the streaming services. Not terrible, but not worth the price of a ticket.

Forum List

Back