Can the USA ever be United again?

This message is hidden because LoneLaugher is on your ignore list.

get off my thread, idiot. no one reads your posts.

libturds need not bother, way too intellectual for morons....

Interesting piece, give it a few sentences:

Ace of Spades HQ

In the beginning was the Word
—Monty

[bumped by BenK: This is worth a read for those who missed it last night]

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. - John 1:1

This is what I have to say about the SOTU, and every other content-free political speech and op-ed we're going to have inflicted on us from here on out:

There is a price to be paid for divorcing actions and concepts from the words that describe them. Government, and the law that undergirds it, is made up of words. Devalue the words, strip them of meaning, and you do the same thing to the concepts those words describe. Action follows Thought, and for Thought to exist there must be the Word.

This was George Orwell's central insight when he invented Newspeak for his novel 1984. Language doesn't just describe what we think about, and allow us to communicate with each other; in a major way, it actually determines what we think about, and how we think. We conceptualize the way we do, even in the abstract, using constructs of language - even mathematics and computer code is a kind of language. Orwell understood that the Word could actually be turned into a weapon, an invisible knife to cut away a man's ability to think (and thus, to act). All you have to do is convince a man that the Word he's hearing means something other than what he thought it meant...or can mean anything, really. Or nothing at all. Science, history, literature, even music -- they evaporate like a puddle in the hot sun because the Words used to build them stop conveying meaning.

Words have meaning. They must have meaning, for if we are to communicate at all we must transmit meaning from one person to another. This is perhaps the most unforgivable part of the postmodernist assault on the language itself: it has weakened our ability to even describe the loss of meaning.

If a Word can mean anything, it means nothing. Think of that while his Majesty the King speaks tomorrow night.

Edge:

I've said in here on several occasions: Language IS thought.

Think about that next time someone chastises you for using 'inappropriate' or Non-PC language.

People don't do that to me. Well.... They don't do it to me twice

When one reads the various threads on this message board, listens to the media, listens to the rhetoric coming out of DC, it becomes a real concern whether this country has become so divided politically and philosophically that it may not ever be united again.

we have always had different ideas, but we have always been able to find the common ground and go forward as Americans with a common purpose. I do not see that happening today.

Thoughts, comments.

Conservatives don't want a united country. Conservatives want to balkanize America every way they can,

under the banner of their own perverted definition of 'liberty'.

Liberals want to unite the country thru dependence on uncle sugar......which removes all liberty. Enjoy.

When one reads the various threads on this message board, listens to the media, listens to the rhetoric coming out of DC, it becomes a real concern whether this country has become so divided politically and philosophically that it may not ever be united again.

we have always had different ideas, but we have always been able to find the common ground and go forward as Americans with a common purpose. I do not see that happening today.

Thoughts, comments.

I don't even understand the question. Can you tell me when, other than in times of disaster and emergency, this country was ever united the way you think it should be? Is your problem that you bought into the lies that it was different in the good old days?

not at all. the USA has always had differing viewpoints on many issues. But, we were all in agreement that we had the greatest country in history and would do whatever it took to keep it great and strong. Even though we had different religions, cultures, races, and incomes: we were all americans.

Now, there is a contituency that does not like the country, its history, or what it stands for. They want to bring the USA down because they believe in the flawed premise that when one country is successful, others must be made unsuccessful.

The hate-america constituency is mostly liberals and democrats, with obama as their current leader.

Excuse me?

When, exactly, did everyone agree on that? When, exactly, did it stop?

If you can't answer those questions you really need to reconsider your premise.

If the US was run as a business, you can be sure that compromise would be on the table. Successful business always look at all the options with an open mind, that leads to success. Those who don't get the art of compromise are doomed to failure,

I don't even understand the question. Can you tell me when, other than in times of disaster and emergency, this country was ever united the way you think it should be? Is your problem that you bought into the lies that it was different in the good old days?

not at all. the USA has always had differing viewpoints on many issues. But, we were all in agreement that we had the greatest country in history and would do whatever it took to keep it great and strong. Even though we had different religions, cultures, races, and incomes: we were all americans.

Now, there is a contituency that does not like the country, its history, or what it stands for. They want to bring the USA down because they believe in the flawed premise that when one country is successful, others must be made unsuccessful.

The hate-america constituency is mostly liberals and democrats, with obama as their current leader.

Excuse me?

When, exactly, did everyone agree on that? When, exactly, did it stop?

If you can't answer those questions you really need to reconsider your premise.

Are you claiming that a majority of americans did not think that this was the greatest country in history? Are you also claiming that that is the case today?

Can the USA ever be United again?
I agree that there are divisions along political lines, however for the most part, as far as I can tell, we all still remain civil. When conversing with neighbors and friends, both republicans and democrats alike, I do not feel any tension. Most of us talk about issues other than politics (football, trucks, home renovations, stock tips ...etc). When greeting strangers passing though my neighborhood, they greet back. Unless the economy were to take a major dive, and we'd wind up in a great depression, I really don't foresee any conflict.

Thoughts, comments.

If we ever find we have a common enemy which we agree on fighting and in HOW we fight it, we would probably be reunited.

Thoughts, comments.

If we ever find we have a common enemy which we agree on fighting and in HOW we fight it, we would probably be reunited.

probably true, how about the national debt as a common enemy?

Another stupid ass statement from dipshit.

No.

Never.

Unless dimocraps commit mass suicide. :eusa_dance::eusa_pray:

obama5year.png

WORST.PRESIDENT........EVER.

Even worse than Tricky Dick. Or the rapist. Or Truman.

Worst ever.

Biggest reason why? Look at the spread between Patriotic Americans and dimocrap scum... Massive.

The worst part? dimocraps don't care. They just aren't interested.

Just remember something, dimocraps..... Payback's a bitch

Another stupid ass statement from dipshit.

No.

Never.

obama5year.png

Worst ever.

Biggest reason why? Look at the spread between Patriotic Americans and dimocrap scum... Massive.

Reid changed the rules in the senate, those new rules will be in place if the GOP takes the senate in november.

We live in a plutocracy. And the plutocrats are definitely not divided on their goals, aims and purposes.

It is the rest of us that have a division problem. Some don't want to be governed by plutocrats and some do.

Which side are you all on?

I don't think you can prove that claim. It's a nice claim. But it's not a supportable, or provable claim that we are in a plutocracy.

Nor can you claim that the plutocrats are not divided on their goals.

Why is it that some rich advocate policies completely the opposite of other rich? Mitt Romney / Warren Buffet / Donald Trump / Bill Gates / Ted Turner.

All have differing views, and differing policies, often completely contradicting each other.

Raúl Rafael Labrador. Grew up single child of a single mother in Puerto Rico.
Jeff Sessions. Born in Selma, Alabama, to a man who ran a tiny mom&pop general store.
John Boozman. Born to a sergeant in the Air Force.
Thomas Richard Carper. Went to Ohio State, degree in economics, 3 tours during the Vietnam war.
Marco Rubio. Parents were immigrants escaping Cuba, running from Castro's workers paradise.
Saxby Chambliss. Son of a Episcopalian minister.

Now all these people are Senators, and I only went through the first 10 of the list, and excluded people who were children of prior politicians, and I excluded those who don't list their up bringing.

Only a few, are openly and obviously, wealthy from child hood.

I'm just not seeing this plutocracy.

So back to your question, am I for or against, an unprovable claim not supported by the evidence?

Um.... don't care? Because you have to prove the claim, before I can be for, or against, the claim?

Thoughts, comments.

probably true, how about the national debt as a common enemy?

Normally - say 30-35 years ago - the debt might be a "common enemy". However, those days are long gone. Our national debt is looked upon by the left as a "fundamental right" of the "entitled". We just keep running it up to "take care" of the lazy - and, as in the case of Obama - uses it to destroy the middle class (like the good Marxist that he is).

Here's another example:

We defend our President---------------------with guns
We defend our Congressmen---------------------with guns
We defend our Governors---------------------with guns
We defend our celebrities ---------------------with guns
We defend our sporting events-----------------with guns
We defend our jewelry stores-------------------with guns
We defend our banks----------------------------with guns
We defend our office buildings------------------with guns
We defend our factories--------------------------with guns
We defend our courts-----------------------------with guns
We defend our Judges--------------------------with guns

We defend our children--------------------With a sign that reads "Gun Free Zone"

And call someone with a gun when something goes wrong.

Our "common enemy"? Simple…..it's us.

Conservatives don't want a united country. Conservatives want to balkanize America every way they can,

under the banner of their own perverted definition of 'liberty'.

Be honest, the same can be said about liberals. Obama will say it tonight, its my way or I will do it by dictate.

I don't. I don't want to see America turn into 50 little kingdoms with a nearly irrelevant central government.

Conservatives want states rights so they can roll back human rights.

Conservatives want states rights for some very common sense reasons. First, and foremost, is that is how our government was set up by the United States Constitution. We are a union of soverign states. Second, it is a simple fact that government closest to the people is government more easily controlled by the people. Third, is that we have little fear of a state governor becoming a dictator. Fourth, is that the United States is far too large and far to diverse to be governed by a central government.

Conservatives are humans who believe in human rights. Especially the prime human rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Thoughts, comments.
No, that bird has flown with the onset of multiculturalism. Unity demands a common identity and as long as that is no longer demanded as what it is to be American, it cannot endure.

No.

Never.

obama5year.png

Worst ever.

Maybe if you get in charge you can set up some camps for "dimocrap scum"....with ovens and such.

Thoughts, comments.
No, that bird has flown with the onset of multiculturalism. Unity demands a common identity and as long as that is no longer demanded as what it is to be American, it cannot endure.

So what do we do? The current divisions are destroying us. Do we break up the country? What is the answer?

Thoughts, comments.

So what do we do? The current divisions are destroying us. Do we break up the country? What is the answer?
There will invariably be upheaval not only in the US, but in much of Europe as well. The West will be seriously weakened and the future will belong to the East-Asians who will not accept the bastardization of their civilizations. It is too late to do anything. The triumph of political correctness and multiculturalism is the fail of Western civilization.

There will invariably be upheaval not only in the US, but in much of Europe as well. The West will be seriously weakened and the future will belong to the East-Asians who will not accept the bastardization of their civilizations. It is too late to do anything. The triumph of political correctness and multiculturalism is the fail of Western civilization.

I hope you are wrong, but I fear that you are right.

Forum List

Back