Can SORTITION help fix the increasingly polarized and toxic political landscape?

cwjerome

Rookie
Jul 21, 2021
Sortition: In governance, sortition (also known as selection by lottery, selection by lot, allotment, demarchy, stochocracy, and aleatoric democracy) is the selection of political officials as a random sample from a larger pool of candidates.

Greek democracy was largely based on sortition.

I believe our democracy is broken as political cults engage in toxic permanent campaign with divide and conquer tactics while putting the true long term health of the country way down the list. What we need is SORTITION! Turn the House of Representatives into a REAL representative legislative body. Make it a lottery-based system with citizens drafted by (mostly) random sample… 1 year terms.
This would help move away from special interests, cronyism, corruption, oligarchy, and the horrible party bullshit that’s dragging us down. A legislative body free from election and party pressures, free from power hungry stuffed suits with ulterior agendas and no inclination to reason or compromise.

Another benefit of sortition is that it encourages a type of citizenship that I promote... a true "republican" type of citizenry in the classic sense.

I had a much different sort of "lottery" in mind...

30465929._SY540_.jpg

1627245485176.png

That might be a good way to fill the Senate seats in Congress.

Then even the lowliest could achieve a position to have a say in the government instead of special interests.

But then even the lottery can be rigged or corrupted... just look at Vegas.

*****SMILE*****

:)

What is needed, is a better resolve concerning government officials and their being removed from power, otherwise to abdicate them due to a failure to do the people's work as an elected official. We probably have the mechanisms in place I'm sure, but even those mechanisms have been abused, and therefore it has rendered them useless because of that abuse.

Time to get real folk's, and remove corrupted officials who are found derelict in their duties by not honoring the people's majority will in the nation. It's also time to clean up election's by creating a more full proof selection process, and this through the integrity of our votes being found solid in a system that works.

What is needed, is a better resolve concerning government officials and their being removed from power, otherwise to abdicate them due to a failure to do the people's work as an elected official. We probably have the mechanisms in place I'm sure, but even those mechanisms have been abused, and therefore it has rendered them useless because of that abuse.

Time to get real folk's, and remove corrupted officials who are found derelict in their duties by not honoring the people's majority will in the nation. It's also time to clean up election's by creating a more full proof selection process, and this through the integrity of our votes being found solid in a system that works.
I don't think that will happen in our hyper-partisan team sport dysfunction. We need some structural changes.

It's basically simple.
We only need Voter I.D. with Bi-partisan enforcement in ALL STATES.
The majority of Americans want it!!

It'll begin to counter 'The Big Steal' in 2020 and be a good start towards the majority of Americans re-gaining trust in our electoral process.
Yes but our fundamental issues are so much deeper. Having 100% fullproof elections will not stop the toxic and dysfunctional two party polarization that's ripping the country apart.

Yes but our fundamental issues are so much deeper. Having 100% fullproof elections will not stop the toxic and dysfunctional two party polarization that's ripping the country apart.

It'll initially temper it. And nothing is 100% foolproof than death and taxes.
What we have now coming off the last election is that 1/3rd no longer trusts the electoral process, 1/3rd may or may not, and 1/3rd does.
A majority of Trust in our electoral process IS necessary to give consent to the governing over the governed; otherwise, our Republic fails!

If 12 random, normal people can decide whether or not a human being will spend their life in prison, or be sentenced to death… can random, normal people represent each other? Can normal, random people help create (or remove) legislation and policies? Can anyone explain to me why slick, power hungry hacks that belong to corrupt cults are necessary to make and carry out laws? Why exactly do we need a professional political aristocracy to rule over us?

We don’t need a rigged and destructive electoral system, but people are trapped into thinking this is the only way.

I don't think that will happen in our hyper-partisan team sport dysfunction. We need some structural changes.
Structural changes or backbones, one or the other. Like I said, we probably have everything we need in the constitution, and within our laws, but no backbones to administer the law or uphold the constitution. To many compromised official's, because once become accepted to the class, most people just get in line these days. It's up to the people again to demand accountability.

If 12 random, normal people can decide whether or not a human being will spend their life in prison, or be sentenced to death… can random, normal people represent each other? Can normal, random people help create (or remove) legislation and policies? Can anyone explain to me why slick, power hungry hacks that belong to corrupt cults are necessary to make and carry out laws? Why exactly do we need a professional political aristocracy to rule over us?

We don’t need a rigged and destructive electoral system, but people are trapped into thinking this is the only way.
Those 12 random normal people are becoming more abnormal by the day, so it may be that in order to save the nation, we all will have to agree on some basic rules and beliefs that guide us in the right directions again.... We had these already, but the radical leftist have all but torn them to pieces right before everyone's eyes. Sadly it's getting worse.

Either return to a Godly nation where freedom abounds, and good is rewarded or parish.

Sortition: In governance, sortition (also known as selection by lottery, selection by lot, allotment, demarchy, stochocracy, and aleatoric democracy) is the selection of political officials as a random sample from a larger pool of candidates.

Greek democracy was largely based on sortition.

I believe our democracy is broken as political cults engage in toxic permanent campaign with divide and conquer tactics while putting the true long term health of the country way down the list. What we need is SORTITION! Turn the House of Representatives into a REAL representative legislative body. Make it a lottery-based system with citizens drafted by (mostly) random sample… 1 year terms.
This would help move away from special interests, cronyism, corruption, oligarchy, and the horrible party bullshit that’s dragging us down. A legislative body free from election and party pressures, free from power hungry stuffed suits with ulterior agendas and no inclination to reason or compromise.

Another benefit of sortition is that it encourages a type of citizenship that I promote... a true "republican" type of citizenry in the classic sense.

Well the best I can tell, that would take at least 2 constitutional amendments. Do you think the people in congress will propose them or the people in State legislatures, who want to be in the house or senate, will vote to ratify them? Just some food for thought.

Well the best I can tell, that would take at least 2 constitutional amendments. Do you think the people in congress will propose them or the people in State legislatures, who want to be in the house or senate, will vote to ratify them? Just some food for thought.

It would require amending the Constitution and a major shift in civic thinking, neither of which would happen. I'm trying to highlight some problems and get people to think differently and show some imagination. In any case, removing some of the toxic and polarizing politicalness of legislators and elections would go a long way.

It would require amending the Constitution and a major shift in civic thinking, neither of which would happen. I'm trying to highlight some problems and get people to think differently and show some imagination. In any case, removing some of the toxic and polarizing politicalness of legislators and elections would go a long way.

Yeah, good luck with that when you have commies, like here in TX, that will flee the State in an attempt to stop the peoples business from being done.

Forum List

Back