Can God be known?

Is God knowable? On another thread the other day someone stated that God cannot be known. His exact words were: “You can't know God; you can only know God's creation.” I’ve never seen a thread on this topic before, so instead of replying to him on the other thread, I figured I’d start a new one.

So, is God knowable?

I’ll give my answer to the question, but feel free to correct me if you think I’m wrong! I’m basing my answer on what the scriptures say, as well as common sense and self-evident truths.

I think the answer to the question is yes and no.

From a biblical perspective, the scriptures are clear that we can’t fully understand God, but at the same time, we can have a personal knowledge of God.

In other words, we can’t know God exhaustively, obviously that is beyond our human ability, but God is knowable.

Here are a few scriptures on the Incomprehensibility of God:

For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.​
Isaiah 55:8-9​

Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;​
it is high; I cannot attain it.​
Psalm 139:6​

How precious to me are your thoughts, O God!​
How vast is the sum of them!​
If I would count them, they are more than the sand.​
I awake, and I am still with you.​
Psalm 139:17–18​

Great is our Lord, and abundant in power;​
his understanding is beyond measure.​
Psalm 147:5​

Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God!​
How unsearchable are His judgments and His ways past finding out!​
“For who has known the mind of the Lord? Or who has become His counselor?”​
Romans 11:33-34​

There are many more, but I’m not going to write a book here. :)

There are also tons of scriptures on knowing God. Here are a few. (Bold added by me)

Thus says the Lord:​
“Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom,​
Let not the mighty man glory in his might,​
Nor let the rich man glory in his riches;​
But let him who glories glory in this,​
That he understands and knows Me,
That I am the Lord, exercising lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness in the earth.​
For in these I delight,” says the Lord.​
Jer. 9:23–24​

For I desire steadfast love and not sacrifice,​
the knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings.​
Hosea 6:6​

Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.​
John 17:3​

We know also that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true. And we are in him who is true - even in his Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life.​
1 John 5:20​

For this reason I also suffer these things; nevertheless I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep what I have committed to Him until that Day.​
2 Timothy 1:12​

"...because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened.​
Romans 1:19-21​

None of them shall teach his neighbor, and none his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for all shall know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them. For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their lawless deeds I will remember no more.”​
Hebrews 8:11-12​

"...that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death"​
Phil 3:10​

"If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.
John 14:7​

As I said, I'm not basing this only on the scriptures. I think it's just common sense, as well. Ask yourself the question.... would a loving, good God want His own creation to seek and know Him? Of course, in the same way that a parent wants a relationship with their child, the Creator wants us to know and be reconciled to Him. What would be the point of creating us if He didn't want us to know Him?

The bottom line is, just because we can’t know EVERYTHING about God doesn’t mean that we can’t know anything. Not only is God knowable, but God WANTS us to seek and know Him.

If you disagree, please make your case! :)

PS: This is not a thread about the existence of God. So to the atheists here, I know you're always itching to change the topic into that, but that's not the debate here. The debate is: Is God knowable? So if you want to debate the existence of God, I'm sure there are probably hundreds of threads on that topic, or you can always start a new one. Thanks!
The Knowledge of the Holy

Read this book...
It's THE textbook covering the subject.

Is God knowable? On another thread the other day someone stated that God cannot be known. His exact words were: “You can't know God; you can only know God's creation.” I’ve never seen a thread on this topic before, so instead of replying to him on the other thread, I figured I’d start a new one.

So, is God knowable?

I’ll give my answer to the question, but feel free to correct me if you think I’m wrong! I’m basing my answer on what the scriptures say, as well as common sense and self-evident truths.

From a biblical perspective, the scriptures are clear that we can’t fully understand God, but at the same time, we can have a personal knowledge of God.

In other words, we can’t know God exhaustively, obviously that is beyond our human ability, but God is knowable.

For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.​

There are also tons of scriptures on knowing God. Here are a few. (Bold added by me)

That I am the Lord, exercising lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness in the earth.​

Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.​

We know also that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true. And we are in him who is true - even in his Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life.​

For this reason I also suffer these things; nevertheless I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep what I have committed to Him until that Day.​

"...because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened.​

None of them shall teach his neighbor, and none his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for all shall know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them. For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their lawless deeds I will remember no more.”​

"...that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death"​

"If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.

As I said, I'm not basing this only on the scriptures. I think it's just common sense, as well. Ask yourself the question.... would a loving, good God want His own creation to seek and know Him? Of course, in the same way that a parent wants a relationship with their child, the Creator wants us to know and be reconciled to Him. What would be the point of creating us if He didn't want us to know Him?

The bottom line is, just because we can’t know EVERYTHING about God doesn’t mean that we can’t know anything. Not only is God knowable, but God WANTS us to seek and know Him.

PS: This is not a thread about the existence of God. So to the atheists here, I know you're always itching to change the topic into that, but that's not the debate here. The debate is: Is God knowable? So if you want to debate the existence of God, I'm sure there are probably hundreds of threads on that topic, or you can always start a new one. Thanks!
You're reading his autobiography, so we should know Him. However, there is much to know about God, so we won't know everything in this life. For example, the last thing I learned about God was that those who are saved do not know what happens to the unsaved. However, the unsaved will be able to see what happens to the saved from the Lake of Fire. That would be painful.

You're reading his autobiography, so we should know Him. However, there is much to know about God, so we won't know everything in this life. For example, the last thing I learned about God was that those who are saved do not know what happens to the unsaved. However, the unsaved will be able to see what happens to the saved from the Lake of Fire. That would be painful.

no one is saving anyone - knowing the prescribed religion of antiquity, intuition or understanding requires for the individual to complete their own destiny for admission to the heavens ... the rest is pure speculation.

no one is saving anyone - knowing the prescribed religion of antiquity, intuition or understanding requires for the individual to complete their own destiny for admission to the heavens ... the rest is pure speculation.
Evolution is antiquity if it took billions of years. It's not science, so it may well as be a "religion."

Evolution is antiquity if it took billions of years. It's not science, so it may well as be a "religion."

evolution is a proof for the metaphysical, heavens in both the creation of physiology and its spiritual content and the requirements set for their continued existence.

the desert religions began correctly as polytheistic, our image and devolved to a monotheistic worship without determination - the very process evolution proves otherwise.

So, is God knowable?

Yes you can know God. You can have a personal relationship with God. Through prayer and God communicates with us in our dreams. God is real.

So, is God knowable?

It's a lot easier than most people think, visit him while you're sleeping. Just concentrate, anyone with average intelligence can do it. I've done it my whole life. just don't travel too far, you'll wake up exhausted.

Forum List

Back