Religious people seem to have more bias in these debates.

Anomalism

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2020
I'm sure the other side has its own bias too, but I think it's different. The difference is religious people seem to need their religion. If they were confronted with proof that their God isn't real I think a lot of them would be very broken on a spiritual and emotional level. Conversely I think if agnostics and atheists were confronted with proof that God is real it would have a different kind of impact. I think many atheists would be salty over being wrong, but I don't think it would destroy them in the same way. The purpose in their universe doesn't hinge on God in the same way. Personally, as an agnostic that was formally an atheist, I'd be thrilled to find out God really exists. It would simplify the universe and bring me a lot of comfort, which is probably what religion does for the religious.

Why does it matter? I think religious people, because they need this more, will bend and go to any length to avoid absorbing the kind of scrutiny that would make them question their God. They are by far the more desperate and stubborn ones in this debate. It's not about logic and facts for them. They need this, so you're never going to change their minds.

It took me several years to give up my best friend, he would go everywhere with me.

Consolation for the certainty of death for themselves and everyone they love. They cannot cope with the possibility that their parents and grandparents no longer exist in any meaningful form. Never underestimate how much these people fear death. For this reason I am loath to attack anyone's personal faith. I keep all my criticism on the point where faith intersects politics.

I'm sure the other side has its own bias too, but I think it's different. The difference is religious people seem to need their religion. If they were confronted with proof that their God isn't real I think a lot of them would be very broken on a spiritual and emotional level. Conversely I think if agnostics and atheists were confronted with proof that God is real it would have a different kind of impact. I think many atheists would be salty over being wrong, but I don't think it would destroy them in the same way. The purpose in their universe doesn't hinge on God in the same way. Personally, as an agnostic that was formally an atheist, I'd be thrilled to find out God really exists. It would simplify the universe and bring me a lot of comfort, which is probably what religion does for the religious.

Why does it matter? I think religious people, because they need this more, will bend and go to any length to avoid absorbing the kind of scrutiny that would make them question their God. They are by far the more desperate and stubborn ones in this debate. It's not about logic and facts for them. They need this, so you're never going to change their minds.

Christians aren't monolithic..

Some have no ethics or principles. Some are cult people. Some reject science and education for superstition.

That sort often hate educated or tolerant Christians and claim they aren't Christian enough.

I don't think your essay works.

Consolation for the certainty of death for themselves and everyone they love. They cannot cope with the possibility that their parents and grandparents no longer exist in any meaningful form. Never underestimate how much these people fear death. For this reason I am loath to attack anyone's personal faith. I keep all my criticism on the point where faith intersects politics.

I am terrified of death. In a way I envy them for that comfort.

Some have no ethics or principles. Some are cult people. Some reject science and education for superstition.

That sort often hate educated or tolerant Christians and claim they aren't Christian enough.

No matter how intelligent or tolerant you are your bias is greater when you have so much invested in your belief.

Religion is personal and those that are religious can't help but inject emotion into the debate. Many take any questioning of their religion or the god they believe in as a personal attack which is why religious discussions tend to devolve

I am terrified of death. In a way I envy them for that comfort.
I've made my peace with the inevitable. The only fear I have is that it will be a slow, cruel, painful experience like it was for my parents. Ridding yourself of the terror is way more liberating than any religious experience can possibly be.

No matter how intelligent or tolerant you are your bias is greater when you have so much invested in your belief.

Some adults continued learning all their lives so belief is more fluid.... Like accepting same sex marriage or secular law without feeling persecuted...

Religion is personal and those that are religious can't help but inject emotion into the debate. Many take any questioning of their religion or the god they believe in as a personal attack which is why religious discussions tend to devolve

That goes for both sides of political discussions too.

It's pretty ironic, but in their last moment on earth, most every atheist will more than likely either beg God for one more breath of air, or beg Him for forgiveness.

Even this one probably did...

Madalyn Murray O'Hair - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

If this was true it would just lend credibility to the idea that religion is fueled by fear of death and the unknown.

Very few true Christians I've known are afraid of dying.
They have only replaced their fear of death with fear of Hell. Not an improvement.

It's always an asymmetrical conversation.

These people are convinced they KNOW where we come from. The rest of admit we don't. So there can be no conversation that includes intellectual curiosity.

Forum List

Back