California Wildfires: 12,000 Evacuated as Rocky Fire Rages, Grows

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
California Wildfires: 12,000 Evacuated as Rocky Fire Rages, Grows
Described as "unprecendented" by authorities, the largest blaze — which is known as the Rocky Fire — tore across the Lower Lake area north of San Francisco. It almost tripled in size to 84 square miles over the weekend.

The scale of the blaze has prompted officials to order 12,000 people to evacuate their homes, according to The Sacramento Bee newspaper. Several roads were also closed.

The fire has already destroyed 24 homes and 26 outbuildings and was threatening 6,300 homes, officials said.
California Wildfires 12 000 Evacuated as Rocky Fire Rages Grows - NBC News

Impressive fires in Califorina!

WesternWildfires668.jpg

Can burning marijuana fields get you high? Wonder how many acres of Grass are going to waste. Think users are flocking downwind to get high? :p

Read the story @ California wildfires: Can burning marijuana fields get you high?

Very good, Longknife. We have hundreds of people in Oregon and Washington that have lost their homes to the ongoing fires. But plenty of ha-ha humor in all that. 13 dead firefighters thus far, and the season is far from over. What rig tickling humor, eh?

You, Mr. CrusaderFrank, are the sick SOB. You would continue the actions that are causing the changing climate that is increasing the intensity of the fires.

"unprecedented" what a total line of bull shit..

The area is desert, has had poor forestry control and burn off has been killed by liberal idiots who haven't the first clue about natural fires and how they restore ecosystems.

I find it funny when they scream whoa is me after they find out that what is occurring is natural and has been much bigger and more aggressive in the past. Now its inconveniencing people who are clueless as to natural cycles. When will these people wake up?

I remember felling trees out to 300 feet from the old homestead cabin growing up. Cleaning up brush and doing back burns yearly to clear out the underlying fuels. That cabin still stands today despite multiple fires in the area over the years.. Its using your brain and preparing properly that has saved that home many times over.

LOL. Dearest little BillyBob, damn, I love your posts. The area is desert and has had poor forestry control. A desert with poor forestry control, yesseeeeeeeeeeee............... Bob!

Yes, crown fires are natural, and very destructive. Ground fires are constructive. But when you have high winds, low humidity, and a drought for several years, ground fires rapidly become crown fires. And, with a high wind, you are not going to stop a crown fire. All you can do is try to protect such things as structures and town.

As far as natural cycles go, little BillyBob, you wouldn't know one if it bit your ass.

"unprecedented" what a total line of bull shit..

The area is desert, has had poor forestry control and burn off has been killed by liberal idiots who haven't the first clue about natural fires and how they restore ecosystems.

I find it funny when they scream whoa is me after they find out that what is occurring is natural and has been much bigger and more aggressive in the past. Now its inconveniencing people who are clueless as to natural cycles. When will these people wake up?

I remember felling trees out to 300 feet from the old homestead cabin growing up. Cleaning up brush and doing back burns yearly to clear out the underlying fuels. That cabin still stands today despite multiple fires in the area over the years.. Its using your brain and preparing properly that has saved that home many times over.

We're talking California here........the definitive nanny state. They don't have the $ to fill a pot hole much less use technology to protect the ecosystem. Everybody knows it too.

Heres the facts that the AGW climate crusaders don't want you to know about. Over the past 100 years, California, like many other states have seen intense periods of drought. They've also seen periods of many years of no drought. What happened? Was the CO2 spigot turned off?:coffee:

Linking forest fires to climate change is right up there amongst the stoopidest things stated by the alarmist religion...........horseshit to the nth degree and they know it too.

They'd have you thinking that forest fires are some new phenomenon in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I gotta say........I post up a lot of shit that makes me laugh my balls off when I click on POST REPLY bu this one might give me the most laughs of all >>

DROUGHT MAP

[URL='http://s42.photobucket.com/user/baldaltima/media/Drought-Maps-1896-2012.png.html'][/URL]

[URL='http://s42.photobucket.com/user/baldaltima/media/duh.gif.html']

[URL='http://s42.photobucket.com/user/baldaltima/media/duh.gif.html'][/URL]
[URL='http://[URL=http://s42.photobucket.com/user/baldaltima/media/duh.gif.html][IMG]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e305/baldaltima/duh.gif[/IMG][/URL]']
']
duh.gif
[/URL]'][URL='http://s42.photobucket.com/user/baldaltima/media/duh.gif.html'][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL]

New evacuations as fires spread...
icon_omg.gif

California wildfire prompts new round of evacuations
Sat Jul 2, 2016 - A new wildfire burning through bone-dry grass, shrub and timber has forced the evacuation of dozens of homes in a mountain community in central California and more houses could be in the inferno's path, fire officials said on Saturday.
The so-called Deer fire sparked on Friday afternoon and has grown to char about 1,800 acres of Bear Mountain, Kern County Fire Department spokesman Phil Neufeld said. About 100 houses in Bear Valley Springs are under immediate threat from the flames and had to be evacuated, Neufeld said, and the wildfire is working its way through the difficult and steep terrain in the direction of many more homes. "There is a ridge that the fire is working toward and we are working with great effort to keep it from that ridge. If it crests the ridge, it could change the whole dynamic," Neufeld said.

r

A bull dozer fights wildfire in Kern County in central California, U.S. in this aerial photo posted on social media​

He said the state's running drought and a bark beetle infestation has desiccated trees in the area, which could provide ample fuel for the fire already aided by high temperatures and winds. "We have a lot of talent working for us, but we're at the mercy of the elements," Neufeld said. Two fire personnel have suffered minor injuries battling the blaze, Neufeld said, though no homes have been destroyed. The fire is burning in the shadow of a much more massive blaze some 30 miles to the north. That wildfire, dubbed the Erskine Fire, has blackened some 48,000 acres, destroyed at least 150 homes, and left at least two people dead in communities near Lake Isabella.

r

A fire fighting aircraft drops fire retardant over wildfire in Kern County in central California, U.S. in this aerial photo posted on social media​

Firefighters have been able to carve containment lines around 85 percent of the flame's perimeter as of Saturday morning. The wildfire season in drought-stricken California officially began in May but a string of major blazes over the past two weeks marked the first widespread outbreak of intense fires this year. The Erskine and Deer Fires were among 12 major wildfires burning across the state on Saturday. All told, some 4,800 firefighters are battling infernos across the state. The California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection on Saturday urged residents to exercise "extreme caution" while using fireworks during the July 4th holiday weekend, as the pyrotechnics can spark additional fires.

California wildfire prompts new round of evacuations

Granny says the prophesy o' flames an' fire an' vapors o' smoke is comin' true...
icon_grandma.gif

Southern California wildfire rages unchecked after evacuations
Wed Aug 17, 2016 - A Southern California wildfire raged unchecked in thick brush on Wednesday after destroying an unknown number of houses near a highway corridor between Los Angeles and Las Vegas and forcing as many as 80,000 residents to flee their homes, officials said.
The so-called Blue Cut Fire ignited on Tuesday in the mountainous Cajon Pass and has exploded to cover 25,626 acres (10,370 hectares). Firefighters had carved containment lines around only four percent of the blaze by Wednesday night, fire officials said. They described the blaze as unusually fierce, even for a year of intense wildfires in the U.S. West, where years of drought have placed a heavy burden on firefighting resources. "In my 40 years of fighting fire, I've never seen fire behavior so extreme as it was yesterday," Michael Wakoski, the incident commander on the fire, told a news conference on Wednesday. As many as eight wildland fires were burning in California on Wednesday, three of them scorching thousands of acres as firefighters sought help from emergency responders from other states and the California National Guard.

r

The Blue Cut fire burns near a residential area in Phelan, California​

U.S. government forecasters have said Southern California faces a potential threat from major wildfires until December, given the dryness and warm weather. Santa Ana winds, which sweep desert air to California's coast while driving the fires, are due to kick up next month, California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (Cal-Fire) spokeswoman Lynne Tolmachoff said by phone. September and October are often the peak of the state's wildfire season. The Blue Cut Fire, named for a narrow gorge north of San Bernardino where it started, threatened the town of Wrightwood near a ski resort and other communities in a partly rural area, authorities said. The cause of the fire is under investigation.

r

Firefighters battle the Blue Cut fire in Phelan, California​

Authorities said they were forced to close part of Interstate 15, which runs through the Cajon Pass between Las Vegas and the Los Angeles area, and to order about 80,000 residents to evacuate. Thick columns of smoke blocked out the sky above mountain peaks as the fire overran a number of properties, leaving behind barren lots with blackened appliances and vehicles stripped of nearly everything but metal. Louis Penna, a spokesman for the San Bernardino County Fire Department, said in an email an official damage estimate was not available but that dozens of destroyed structures were clearly visible. San Bernardino County Fire Chief Mark Hartwig told reporters: "There will be a lot of families that come home to nothing." The Los Angeles Times reported hundreds of residents were staying in their houses, despite dire warnings from authorities.

r

A firefighting helicopter maneuvers around power lines and smoke to make a water drop during the Blue Cut fire at the Cajon Pass in San Bernardino County, California​

Among them was Nico Santucci, who was standing sentry outside his home in Lytle Creek with his young son by his side. "If the first house catches on fire here or the fire breaks this mountain here, then I'm gone, then we're gone," Santucci said. About 600 miles (970 km) to the northwest, the so-called Clayton Fire was 40 percent contained after charring 4,000 acres in and around the community of Lower Lake and destroying 175 homes and businesses. California had spent $164 million by Aug. 12 to combat wildfires this year, Cal-Fire's Tolmachoff said, not including the Blue Cut or Clayton fires.

Southern California wildfire rages unchecked after evacuations

California Wildfires = Arson

a-wildfire-in-california-bureau-of-land-management-wikimedia-commons_830033.jpg

I've seen not one word about this on the news.

Serial arsonist behind California wildfires caught as alarmists blame global warming

The serial arsonist who started most of the California wildfires has finally been arrested - yet alarmists still blame climate change for the fires

Damian Anthony Pashilk is a 41 year old construction worker facing 17 counts of arson. A search comes up with nothing more on the man.

Story @ Serial arsonist behind California wildfires caught as alarmists blame global warming

I saw the part about the arsonist starting that fire in California here in Portland. However, that doesn't change the fact that the five year drought has left California in a critical state for fire.

Yesterday it was reported that there were 85,000 people evacuated from their homes by these fires. Wonder how many more by tonight.

In the meantime, here in Portland, Oregon, we are going to see 3 days of 100 degree temperatures. It has been a very warm summer, so far. Hope we don't see fires here. Portland is very proud of their neighborhoods trees. But in this kind of weather, there is a danger. We have enough trees that we could actually have a crown fire in an urban setting.

Dat's a big fire...
eek.gif

‘Firenadoes’ rage in southern California
Fri, Aug 19, 2016 - MASS EVACUATIONS: Some people have acted against authorities’ advice to leave their homes, forcing firefighters to return to areas that had already been evacuated
An inferno scorching swaths of southern California threatened the homes of more than 82,000 people on Wednesday, sending flaming “firenadoes” tearing across the brush and prompting a state of emergency. More than 1,300 firefighters were battling the giant blaze, with more on the way, but they were unable to contain the blaze. Dramatic local TV news footage of the wildfire captured from the front line in the town of Phelan showed tornado-like flaming vortexes — known as “firenadoes” — sent spinning into the air by the unusual ferocity of the blaze. “We have very, very dry brush, thick fuel, it helps move it along very quickly,” Lynne Tolmachoff, spokeswoman for the state firefighting agency Cal Fire, said. “It is very dangerous to the public and also to the firefighters.”

California Governor Jerry Brown declared a state of emergency for San Bernardino County, just 100km east of Los Angeles, where the so-called Bluecut Fire was quickly growing, its cause still unclear. The inferno began around 10:30am on Tuesday and has already burned through 10,370 hectares, according to the multi-agency Inciweb information site. The blaze was 4 percent contained. More than 34,500 homes were threatened and 82,640 people were under evacuation warnings. “There is imminent threat to public safety, rail traffic and structures in the Cajon Pass, Lytle Creek, Wrightwood, Oak Hills and surrounding areas,” Inciweb said. From the highway between Wrightwood and Lytle Creek, a thick cloud of smoke could be seen blanketing the entire valley.

P07-160819-301.jpg

Firefighters battle a wildfire on Cajon Boulevard in Keenbrook, California​

A dozen fire trucks awaited orders to evacuate Paso Lane, located between several hills that were being devoured by flames, columns of smoke billowing into the sky. “The whole community is being evacuated,” said local firefighter Mike Anderson, who had been battling the blaze with his team for more than 24 straight hours. “The fire is moving very fast straight through Highway 138, it is still growing,” he said. Chon Bribiescas of the US Forest Services said later that the evacuation area was being expanded, with the wind picking up and the temperature soaring to 38oC. “The fire is consuming 100 acres [40.45 hectares] in a few minutes instead of 100 per hour,” she said, adding that many residents had decided against the best advice to remain in their homes. “In California, we cannot force people from their homes, but that means we have firefighters that have to come back to the mandatory evacuation zones instead of fighting the fire,” she said. “I try to tell people that there is nothing in your home that is worth your life.”

At a gas station in the outpost of Pinon Hills, 16km northwest of the fire, Jeannine Yglesia was buying ice with her 24-year-old son. “I have 17 to 18 people staying at my house now, friends and their families that have had to evacuate from Wrightwood,” she said. Gail Nieto, a 65-year-old woman buying groceries, was forced to flee Wrightwood on Tuesday night. “It’s the fourth time in 30 years, but it’s the fastest-growing fire I have ever seen,” she said, trembling. Among equipment already deployed were 152 fire engines, eight air tankers and two Very Large Air Tankers and eight helicopters, including night-flying helicopters. The inferno has claimed one high-profile victim so far: the Summit Inn, an old-fashioned diner on the world-famous Route 66 that counted celebrities Elvis Presley and Clint Eastwood among its clientele.

MORE

Forum List

Back