Debate Now CALIFORNIA: San Francisco board open to reparations with $5M payouts

Here's the problem. The unskilled service job could still pay a decent wage back in the day. enough to put a roof over your head and food on the table, and frankly, for some people, that's enough.
Not when I was working and going to school. Making $.50 an hour over min wage wasn't going to put a roof over my head. I guess we would need to further define "Unskilled service job".
But today, we have kids who go to college for four years, end up hundreds of thousands in debt, and then find they can never dig their way out. They delay having kids, which just compounds the problem.
That's a whole other issue.
Kids choosing the wrong higher education, along with going to an overpriced "private" school, while the job opportunities post education aren't there is ridiculous. However, ultimately, the responsibility sits with college student. No one is holding a gun to their head forcing them down an educational path. They sign the FASFA documents for the loans, the responsibility is on them.

Direct experience. My daughter graduated HS, got scholarships. Two different colleges. One public, one private. The cost difference was crazy between the two.
We chose public because she can graduate with no debt. And she did. Now she's making just out of college 70K a year with no student debt.
Opportunities are there. The ones that make the dumb choices and set themself up poorly are the ones we read about from the MSM and what a terrible situation they are in. But in other news, millions of kids make good education choices, work hard, and are successful after college and don't need the gov't handouts and go quietly on with their life.

Not when I was working and going to school. Making $.50 an hour over min wage wasn't going to put a roof over my head. I guess we would need to further define "Unskilled service job".

And when was this, last week?

That's a whole other issue.
Kids choosing the wrong higher education, along with going to an overpriced "private" school, while the job opportunities post education aren't there is ridiculous. However, ultimately, the responsibility sits with college student. No one is holding a gun to their head forcing them down an educational path. They sign the FASFA documents for the loans, the responsibility is on them.

Okay, here's the thing. When I went to college in the 1980's, tuition at the University of Illinois at Chicago was about $1500 a year. Minimum wage was 3.65 an hour. Which means I could pay that working merely 10 hours a week. (I actually worked two minimum wage jobs in College and was a member of the Illinois National Guard, which is how I covered tuition.)

Today- Tuition at UIC is about $17,000. The federal minimum wage is 7.25 (It's $13.00 in IL) You couldn't pay it on the Federal and you could barely make it on the IL

Forum List

Back