But with the subject of tithing,...

Keep dodging.:nine:

I thought "which would you rather join?" was rhetorical. Actually. I'm not a joiner. I'm weird, unaffiliated, internet freak guy; it's a cross between journalist, researcher, agoraphobe, with a little bit of episcopalian.

The Lord directed me to spend way too much money on ski equipment lately. But, it will ensure quality time with my family and freinds, and provide some much needed exercise and fresh air.

I like the way this works.:rolleyes:

If the Lord truly directed you to spend the money, it wasn't too much.

Yes but in our world today much like 7 thousand years ago we want- when we want it and we sure as hell don't want to ever be called down for anything. So actually it is a heart thing. If we all could look at it in that manner possibly we'd see it isn't that difficult.

My point is that you could claim that for nearly anything. Probably everything.

True... you COULD claim it for nearly anything. But it wouldn't be TRUE for anything. It's really between you & God. If you pray about it beforehand, and are willing to GIVE UP what you want if it doesn't seem to be in line with GOD'S will, then you're probably okay. If you are just using God as an excuse to go blow money on stuff, He'll know. It's between you & God. Maybe He really does want you to spend time with family & get fresh air. The only way to know for sure is to ask Him, and be willing to accept whatever His answer might be.

I was really just messing around. I think actually a lot of evangelical/born again are into tithing these days, moreso even than catholics. Some of these megachurches in the south actually require you to submit your bank account numbers when you join the church. Otherwise they're good preachers, but this practice sickens me.

Could you reference this last statement about some churches requiring one to submit a bank account # as part of membership?

I've never heard of this. If it's true.......it's so unbiblical, and also so intrusive into one's privacy, and possibly unlawful to.
The only info, I have for tithing that indicated an amount given was from the O.T. when Abraham gave 10% of all that he had gotten as war spoils, and this was in respect to his relationship with the priest, Melchizedek.

Genesis, Chapter 14, versus 18-20..

18And (AF)Melchizedek king of Salem brought out (AG)bread and wine; now he was a (AH)priest of God Most High.

19He blessed him and said,
"Blessed be Abram of God Most High,
(AI)Possessor of heaven and earth;
20And blessed be God Most High,
Who has delivered your enemies into your hand."
(AJ)He gave him a tenth of all.

....The only way to know for sure is to ask Him, and be willing to accept whatever His answer might be.
I think He wants me to buy a GT500 and tool around with my kids in the back seat, listening to them scream with delight as I steer it with the gas pedal through some nice S turns. I know in my heart that He especially likes the roar of a DOHC V8 through a well-tuned set of stainless steel H pipes, and the sweet smell of burning rubber.

If that ain't proof positve that God exists and He loves me, than nothin' is!:bow2:

Could you reference this last statement about some churches requiring one to submit a bank account # as part of membership?

I've never heard of this. If it's true.......it's so unbiblical, and also so intrusive into one's privacy, and possibly unlawful to.
The only info, I have for tithing that indicated an amount given was from the O.T. when Abraham gave 10% of all that he had gotten as war spoils, and this was in respect to his relationship with the priest, Melchizedek.

Genesis, Chapter 14, versus 18-20..

18And (AF)Melchizedek king of Salem brought out (AG)bread and wine; now he was a (AH)priest of God Most High.

19He blessed him and said,
"Blessed be Abram of God Most High,
(AI)Possessor of heaven and earth;
20And blessed be God Most High,
Who has delivered your enemies into your hand."
(AJ)He gave him a tenth of all.

I have heard it but I was under the impression it more of a rumor that actually happening.

I think He wants me to buy a GT500 and tool around with my kids in the back seat, listening to them scream with delight as I steer it with the gas pedal through some nice S turns. I know in my heart that He especially likes the roar of a DOHC V8 through a well-tuned set of stainless steel H pipes, and the sweet smell of burning rubber.

If that ain't proof positve that God exists and He loves me, than nothin' is!:bow2:

God DOES want us to have fun things sometimes. :)

God DOES want us to have fun things sometimes. :)

If you are a good Godly steward of his money and things then we can enjoy life. I believe with much comes much responsibility. And not being arrogant and being humble would be in order. I can't truly justify what Glock said about smoking tires and grabbing scratch between gears as being humble.

If you are a good Godly steward of his money and things then we can enjoy life. I believe with much comes much responsibility. And not being arrogant and being humble would be in order. I can't truly justify what Glock said about smoking tires and grabbing scratch between gears as being humble.

Yeah... I think we were both kind of kidding around at that point. :)

I believe it's not required, but my mom gives 10% of her paycheck to her local church.
Yes, it is required. Tithing is an act of obedience; nothing more. Think God need's your money or you for that fact? (not you personally, Kagom) He's God, for goodness sakes.
But we are here to do His bidding & His will.

Tithe was used to support the Levite tribe as they were the religious leaders; they were permitted to own no property. This is how they were fed & supplied for their families. Alot of churches still use tithe for the paying of their ministers.

Tithing is different than giving an offering which should be given willfully as you are blessed.

Yes, it is required. Tithing is an act of obedience; nothing more. Think God need's your money or you for that fact? (not you personally, Kagom) He's God, for goodness sakes.

Tithe was used to support the Levite tribe as they were the religious leaders; they were permitted to own no property. This is how they were fed & supplied for their families. Alot of churches still use tithe for the paying of their ministers.

Tithing is different than giving an offering which should be given willfully as you are blessed.
I don't believe that it is required. The Levite tribe supplied many other basic needs that the contemporary church no longer provides. Otherwise I'd agree with you.

Joz, are you talking about the Levite tribe of Israelites? If you are, the Levites were not the religious leaders. That would be the Cohanim, or priests. Levites did the work in the Temple for the Cohanim. I don't recall ever hearing anything about tithing, though, but that might have been the case in the day of the Temple... but I wouldn't know for sure.

Joz, are you talking about the Levite tribe of Israelites? If you are, the Levites were not the religious leaders. That would be the Cohanim, or priests. Levites did the work in the Temple for the Cohanim. I don't recall ever hearing anything about tithing, though, but that might have been the case in the day of the Temple... but I wouldn't know for sure.

glockmail said:
I don't believe that it is required. The Levite tribe supplied many other basic needs that the contemporary church no longer provides. Otherwise I'd agree with you.

Numbers 18:23, 24 it tells that the tithe specifically is to be used for the Levites, the ministers of Israel, as they were not allowed an inheritance.
Deuteronomy 12:17 speaks of tithes & offerings seperately.
Malachi 3:8-12 Tithe & offering is spoken of again seperately & by not giving these we are robbing God.

I'm not so much for the chapter and verse, because I'd have to look it up. However, I do know that most congregations, bo†h Catholic and Protestant encourage tithing to a greater or lesser degree.

As for any Catholic Church I've belonged to, all encouraged. (5). In not one did I receive any notice of not contributing, via envelope, which would have 'measured'.

Now in my ex's synagog there was assigned seating for at least the 'high holy days' which was the only time his family attended. Seems the seating was assigned by contributions. I know that my father in law contributed 20k in 1980 and 75k in 1992. We were seated in the 3rd row.

Do Protestants have 'envelopes' or 'contribution forms'?

Do Protestants have 'envelopes' or 'contribution forms'?
The one I used to attend did. There was a blank for tithes. Then there were offering blanks for 'combined budget, 'worthy student', 'building fund' or whatever you wanted your money to go to. At the end of the quarter we were given a receipt of all our contributions for that time period. The receipts were then used for tax records as those contributions are tax deductable.
Any loose monies placed in the offering plate, went to where it was needed the most.

Forum List

Back