Elton John would "ban" organized religion

Abbey Normal

Jul 9, 2005
Mid-Atlantic region
Ah yes, another shining example of tolerance and freedom.

Los Angeles (E! Online) -
Forget dissing Madonna and the media. Elton John is now turning his enmity on organized religion.

In an interview with The Observer's special gay edition of Music Monthly Magazine that hit UK newsstands on Saturday, the Rocket Man sounded off on a variety of hot-button topics, ranging from British Prime Minister Tony Blair's views on the Iraq War to gay rights.

But John reserved his most critical comments for organized religion, which he said should be outlawed for fomenting discrimination against gays.

"I think religion has always tried to turn hatred toward gay people," the 59-year-old "Sad Songs" singer told the newspaper. "Religion promotes the hatred and spite against gays. But there are so many people I know who are gay and love their religion."

John continued: "From my point of view, I would ban religion completely. Organized religion doesn't seem to work. It turns people into really hateful lemmings and it's not really compassionate."

Full story:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/eonline/20061113/en_celeb_eo/957bef13-2b09-47bb-8a57-f214feb12232

Well there are bigots in the world of all shapes and sizes. there just happen to be more of them in hollywood.

Added: Yes i know Elton John is not an actor but as far as im concerned he is in the same hollywood crowd as all the others.

Very true, Abbey. But, what is REALLY scary is what is going to happen to that soul in the second world. :(

I find myself thinking about that more lately than ever before. Not sure why, except that to me, this country seems more lost than ever. We seem to be happily fiddling while Rome burns, you know?

Well there are bigots in the world of all shapes and sizes. there just happen to be more of them in hollywood.

Added: Yes i know Elton John is not an actor but as far as im concerned he is in the same hollywood crowd as all the others.

Absolutely, Avatar. A limousine liberal is a limousine liberal. No matter if they act, sing, write novels or just go to parties. And locale is irrelevant.

Absolutely, Avatar. A limousine liberal is a limousine liberal. No matter if they act, sing, write novels or just go to parties. And locale is irrelevant.

As opposed to Mel Gibson's anti-semitic rant? Funny how no one talked about limousine liberals then. Do you think Elton John should love you guys when you've used his sexuality (and others like him) to rev up your base over the past six years?

As opposed to Mel Gibson's anti-semitic rant? Funny how no one talked about limousine liberals then. Do you think Elton John should love you guys when you've used his sexuality (and others like him) to rev up your base over the past six years?

Elton John said the whole thing sober and didn't apoligize and consider sensitivity training immedaitely afterwards. He's standing by what he said.

Mel Gibson was villified for his terrible rant, even though he was by all accounts stinking drunk, and most likely not thinking very clearly. Did you see someone here defending it? Elton, on the other hand, was apparently sober and very serious.

No, I do not expect Elton to "love" me or my beliefs. What I would hope for (not expect, because, he is after all a lib) is some of the same tolerance and freedom of behavior that he (and others like him) demand from everyone else. But not to be, ey?

Frankly, I am surprised that you would defend such religion-phobic intolerance, Jillian.

Do you think Elton John should love you guys when you've used his sexuality (and others like him) to rev up your base over the past six years?

Heh, I would expect nothing less. Just as murderers and theives oppose laws against them, just as illegal immigrants oppose a secure border. Any person who engages in unlawful or immoral acts will spit their venom at any group that opposes their actions.

Interesting. You seem to be developing an analogy between Rome being overun by the uncivilized huns and the US being overun by the uncivilized Isalmists. Am I correct on this?

I was thinking of a more general moral decline, including the rise in secularism, but I like your analogy. :beer:

I was thinking of a more general moral decline, including the rsie in secularism, but I like your analogy. :beer:
If that was the case I was going to point out that we still have the 2nd Amendment, and there are a lot of us here in the Big Red Island that take advantage of that situation and have armed ourselves. When the Islamists begin an active war at the blue fringes of The Island we will let them have their way with the gayvilles and tinseltowners. But if they try to march down our streets with AKs we will be picking them off one by one with 22 rifles from the rooftops, 12 gauge bird shot from the windows and 45 pistols at every corner. Heck, I may even get me an old Thompson and load my own ammo. Or perhaps a nice "black" semi-auto rifle with a full auto conversion. With 100 millon or so of us they don't stand a chance. So yes, the blue fringe is like Rome but the Red Island will still be the US of A, albeit slightly smaller.

Forum List

Back