Brittany Griner

Couchpotato

Platinum Member
Mar 2, 2021
Im confused by the narrative/expectations surrounding this story for a number of reasons.

Let me say that I want this woman to be returned to the US swiftly and safely. She's a US citizen, and our government should be working to get her returned home.

That said.

1. She did break the law (Russian law) allegedly by having cannabis oil in her carry on. I'm not spun up on what the punishment for that type of crime is in Russia but like it or not we have to accept their legal process. Is the contention that she didn't have cannabis oil in her baggage? I haven't heard anyone say that she didn't.

2. This couldn't be going on at a worse time. Russia has no motivation to negotiate with the US right now.

3. Her wife made the assertion that she was in Russia playing because the WNBA doesn't pay her enough. She makes 220k a year from the WNBA a sum of money most people can live on. A league that runs a 10 million dollar a year deficit and wouldn't even exist if not for the largess of the NBA. I'm not sure how much money a person can expect to make from a failing business venture that only continues to stay afloat due to the charity of another super lucrative business. Making 220k a year playing a game in a league that hemorrhages 10 million dollars a year seems pretty good to me.

4. Im not sure how fast everyone expected her to be returned to the US. If we use the recently released Reed as a gauge she might be in Russia for a year or more. He was held for 3 years I think, it doesnt seem reasonable to assume she would be released before her trial has concluded.

Hopefully this issue is resolved quickly and Brittany gets to come home safe to her family both immediate and her American family but it's likely going to take a year or more for that to happen.

Holding people over a small vial of Cannabis Oil is silly no matter what Country they are in.

It is a LOT cheaper for Russia to let get her go back to America and good for some positive PR from it.
Giving a speeding ticket for 10 mi over is just silly, but the law is the law. Don't break it and you won't have a problem.

Im confused by the narrative/expectations surrounding this story for a number of reasons.

Let me say that I want this woman to be returned to the US swiftly and safely. She's a US citizen, and our government should be working to get her returned home.

That said.

1. She did break the law (Russian law) allegedly by having cannabis oil in her carry on. I'm not spun up on what the punishment for that type of crime is in Russia but like it or not we have to accept their legal process. Is the contention that she didn't have cannabis oil in her baggage? I haven't heard anyone say that she didn't.

2. This couldn't be going on at a worse time. Russia has no motivation to negotiate with the US right now.

3. Her wife made the assertion that she was in Russia playing because the WNBA doesn't pay her enough. She makes 220k a year from the WNBA a sum of money most people can live on. A league that runs a 10 million dollar a year deficit and wouldn't even exist if not for the largess of the NBA. I'm not sure how much money a person can expect to make from a failing business venture that only continues to stay afloat due to the charity of another super lucrative business. Making 220k a year playing a game in a league that hemorrhages 10 million dollars a year seems pretty good to me.

4. Im not sure how fast everyone expected her to be returned to the US. If we use the recently released Reed as a gauge she might be in Russia for a year or more. He was held for 3 years I think, it doesnt seem reasonable to assume she would be released before her trial has concluded.

Hopefully this issue is resolved quickly and Brittany gets to come home safe to her family both immediate and her American family but it's likely going to take a year or more for that to happen.
I guess she never saw "Midnight Express".
Go to another country with drugs (or obtain them there), you are playing by their rules.
Just can't manage much sympathy for stupid.

Giving a speeding ticket for 10 mi over is just silly, but the law is the law. Don't break it and you won't have a problem.

I didn't realize you can be in jail for many weeks for speeding over 10 mph.... wow!

I know it is the law down there which is why they have a growing drug culture since being illegal makes it lucrative which is why they increase the flow and aggressive sale on the streets to create a new bad of automatic repeat sales.

That is the fault of the government who help criminal become rich and more easily corrupt the nations leaders and local law enforcement who find easy money too hard to resist.

I posit that it is the Governments who is generating the drug problem with their dumb and useless laws that greatly benefits the criminals.

Last edited:
Holding people over a small vial of Cannabis Oil is silly no matter what Country they are in.

It is a LOT cheaper for Russia to let get her go back to America and good for some positive PR from it.
The law is the law--not your country--you don't make the laws. When in Rome... I hope she learns her lesson, the rest of the world doesn't tolerate scofflaw liberals.

You are projecting an American view onto a Russian law though. A vape cartridge with some hash oil is likely to get you a fine in the US at most. In other countries you can go to jail for a long ass time. When you travel YOU are responsible to know the laws of the countries you are traveling in.

It's cool in Afghanistan to kill your daughter in a honor killing. Can an Afghan national claim, "Yo in my country this is not big deal why are you hassling me?" if he lops off the head of his daughter because she held hands with some kid down the street in US where they were visiting?

That said.

You lost me at "Her wife"

Maybe Russia should just keep "her".

The law is the law--not your country--you don't make the laws. When in Rome... I hope she learns her lesson, the rest of the world doesn't tolerate scofflaw liberals.

It is the law that is causing the drug culture to flourish that is why their laws are failures.

It is the law that is causing the drug culture to flourish that is why their laws are failures.
Cool. Even if you are 100% right we don't get to tell the Russians or any other country what laws we will or wont abide by when we are in their countries any more than they get to tell us which of our laws they are going to follow.

You are projecting an American view onto a Russian law though. A vape cartridge with some hash oil is likely to get you a fine in the US at most. In other countries you can go to jail for a long ass time. When you travel YOU are responsible to know the laws of the countries you are traveling in.

It's cool in Afghanistan to kill your daughter in a honor killing. Can an Afghan national claim, "Yo in my country this is not big deal why are you hassling me?" if he lops off the head of his daughter because she held hands with some kid down the street in US where they were visiting?

Now you are getting unreasonable here since is about a low level drug that waste money and resources to punish someone in a jail not about what goes on in Afghanistan that isn't about drugs at all.

It is governments who has created the widespread drug culture problem in the first place.

This gets overlooked all the time which why the "war on drugs" is a long known massive failure.

Cool. Even if you are 100% right we don't get to tell the Russians or any other country what laws we will or wont abide by when we are in their countries any more than they get to tell us which of our laws they are going to follow.

Unless we've invaded and are currently occupying said other country. In that case, we get to ride around cowboyed the fuck up in big armored vehicles bristling with cannons and shit and shoot at shadows and tell the people who live there what to do.

Marriage is between a man and a woman.
From a religious perspective yes I would agree but not from a legal one it isnt. "Marriage" as far as the state is concerned is just a bunch of legal and contract documents all roll up into a nice neat package that allows people easily and quickly tie their lives together.

Forum List

Back