British government discovers way to reduce unemployment

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
Reduce welfare benefits.

Who knew it could be so simple?

The cap, on the total amount of benefits that non-working people aged 16 to 64 can receive, has begun rolling out across England, Scotland and Wales.
Couples and lone parents will now not receive more than £500 a week, while a £350 limit applies to single people.
But critics say the changes will hit parts of the country unfairly, and will not tackle underlying problems.
Those in work who also claim benefits, are not affected by the cap.
"What the job centre staff have told us is that they've seen a genuine increase [in people looking for work] since they've alerted people that they're likely to be in the cap," said the Work and Pensions Secretary Iain Duncan Smith, who has spearheaded these changes.

BBC News - Benefits cap leads to more people in work, says government

Reduce welfare benefits.

The cap, on the total amount of benefits that non-working people aged 16 to 64 can receive, has begun rolling out across England, Scotland and Wales.
Couples and lone parents will now not receive more than £500 a week, while a £350 limit applies to single people.
But critics say the changes will hit parts of the country unfairly, and will not tackle underlying problems.
"What the job centre staff have told us is that they've seen a genuine increase [in people looking for work] since they've alerted people that they're likely to be in the cap," said the Work and Pensions Secretary Iain Duncan Smith, who has spearheaded these changes.

I believe most states already have caps that are equal to or lower than those you stated in GB.

Reduce welfare benefits.

I believe most states already have caps that are equal to or lower than those you stated in GB.

You didn't even feel the breeze.

If you want to reduce unemployment

Raise the minimum wage to $23.50/hr

Double social security payments

Eliminate all business deductions except employee expenses

Allow employers to deduct employee expenses dollar for dollar on all Federal, State, local taxes and regulatory costs,

Net increased cost to the employer will be zero.

Increase to GDP....$170B

Show me where I'm wrong.....I dare you.

Reduce welfare benefits.

Yeah, that works out to $750 per couple and $528 single. Throw in foodstamps and it is uncomfortably livable.

Reduce welfare benefits.

Liberal: We have to structure our benefits like they do in Europe!

Reality: Great Britain caps welfare, sees rise in employment.

Liberal: No! We can't do that! That'll NEVER work!

The left's goal is not, of course, getting people off government dependence. It's getting more and more people on it.

Reduce welfare benefits.

Liberal: We have to structure our benefits like they do in Europe!

Reality: Great Britain caps welfare, sees rise in employment.

Liberal: No! We can't do that! That'll NEVER work!

The left's goal is not, of course, getting people off government dependence. It's getting more and more people on it.

Apples vs oranges sir. GP business isn't nearly as subsidy needy as ours.

So what's wrong with my plan?

You mean other than arbitrarily raising the labor costs and thereby creating less employment, providing more incentive for people not to work, and punishing people for spending money to promote business activity, not much.

How would adding $170B to the GDP create less employment?

Which is a number you or someone else pulled out of your ass... because handing out more with no production or service, arbitrarily raising a wage floor, does not increase a damn thing except inflation, prices, and unemployment... it does ZERO to get people out of poverty.. .it just changes the level of which poverty is defined

So what's wrong with my plan?

You mean other than arbitrarily raising the labor costs and thereby creating less employment, providing more incentive for people not to work, and punishing people for spending money to promote business activity, not much.

Oh. So you were serious when you pulled that number out of your rear end despite recommending policies that will do the exact opposite?

Oh. So you were serious when you pulled that number out of your rear end despite recommending policies that will do the exact opposite?

I haven't pulled numbers out of my rear end. If you feel that I'm wrong, then prove it.

Forum List

Back