Breaking news: 9th court just blocks Trumps parade

Well, I don't know about the Navy, but in the Air Force, all of what you just said was required dress code in compliance with AFR 35-10. At all times, you had to have a properly maintained uniform in all the required uniform sets. That would be Battle Dress Uniforms (cammies), approved casual fatigues (daily work uniforms), dress blues, and I'm not sure, but the officers had to maintain formal uniforms for those occasions where a flag officer was presiding. I can't recall the name of that set. Mess Dress or something like that.

Hey, I had a full seabag, but because there weren't many occasions that required dress blues, so the only time I wore them was maybe once or twice a year, which is why I had them freshly dry cleaned. Sitting in a closet for 6 or 8 months kinda required me to get them freshly cleaned. I didn't want to take a chance on failing.

Most times I wore working blues (had 3 sets), working whites (had 3 sets), or dungarees (only 3 sets required for inspection, but I kept 5 because of the work conditions on the ship).

Quick question....................did you wear you dress uniform every day, or was it only for special required occasions? I only had to wear them a couple of times a year. And, when you did have to wear them, didn't you get them freshly cleaned just to be sure for inspection? I did.

I get that. We usually had three or four base parades a year. We were still required to keep on full, in regulation, Service Dress uniform. That included making sure the medals were up to date. The Commander could, no his whim, call a uniform inspection and we'd be obligated to go home and change into a full dress uniform. I even had an occasion to attend a flag event in full Mess Dress so I had one of those uniforms. I didn't keep that one up though. That dress required the actual medals, not just the ribbons. Air Force uniforms are pretty damn dull if you ask Me. At the time, I was thankful for that given what the Marine full dress looks like.

See? Even by your own admission, you didn't keep up your medals for your full Mess Dress uniform because they are expensive to mount. That is the reason the only time I updated my medals was when I had to.

My ribbon bar was kept up to date because they were relatively cheaper.

Not true. I said I wasn't sure if the regulations required us to have a full mess dress uniform. We WERE required to maintain one 35-10 Service Dress uniform. For the Air Force, Service Dress would be considered Dress Blues. Mess Dress was for formal occasions that had a flag officer or higher in attendance. I was enlisted so I wasn't required to attend formal events, and I don't remember, but I don't think enlisted were required to meet the "Mess Dress" uniform requirement, though they could if they wanted to spend out of pocket for it. I was a bit gung-ho when I was in and did things like that.

Like I said, I kept my ribbons up to date, but only had my medals mounted when I was required to go to a formal gig that required them. At the end of my career, a new ribbon bar was around 20 bucks for me.

And, I didn't consider my dress blues to be inspection ready after hanging in the closet for 6 to 8 months unless they were freshly dry cleaned. It's hard to keep the white piping on the Crackerjacks white if they are hanging in the closet.
how long were you in and what medals?

ribbons mounted cost $$?? wtf?? !!! mounted to what??!!

if they wear cammies--no cost
you have to have a haircut anyway
you should have those shoes already--or shined shoes already-
-lazy??!!!what unit is THAT??
--but I was in the USMC--what unit were you with? you didn't have inspections?

He was Navy ... You know, the folks that make the Marines ride along for security ... :dunno:

I'd like to know what ''mounting'' costs are?

Mounting cost is how much it costs for you to take your medals to the uniform shop and have them sewn onto a bar in the proper order. Every award has a specific rank and it has to be on your uniform in that order. It goes in order of most important award to least, from top to bottom.
I was in for 8 years--I never heard of that

Guess you never earned more than just one medal then, because if you had, you would have had to get them mounted for full dress ceremonies.

Or...............maybe you never had to do full dress uniform.

Hey, I had a full seabag, but because there weren't many occasions that required dress blues, so the only time I wore them was maybe once or twice a year, which is why I had them freshly dry cleaned. Sitting in a closet for 6 or 8 months kinda required me to get them freshly cleaned. I didn't want to take a chance on failing.

Most times I wore working blues (had 3 sets), working whites (had 3 sets), or dungarees (only 3 sets required for inspection, but I kept 5 because of the work conditions on the ship).

Quick question....................did you wear you dress uniform every day, or was it only for special required occasions? I only had to wear them a couple of times a year. And, when you did have to wear them, didn't you get them freshly cleaned just to be sure for inspection? I did.

I get that. We usually had three or four base parades a year. We were still required to keep on full, in regulation, Service Dress uniform. That included making sure the medals were up to date. The Commander could, no his whim, call a uniform inspection and we'd be obligated to go home and change into a full dress uniform. I even had an occasion to attend a flag event in full Mess Dress so I had one of those uniforms. I didn't keep that one up though. That dress required the actual medals, not just the ribbons. Air Force uniforms are pretty damn dull if you ask Me. At the time, I was thankful for that given what the Marine full dress looks like.

See? Even by your own admission, you didn't keep up your medals for your full Mess Dress uniform because they are expensive to mount. That is the reason the only time I updated my medals was when I had to.

Not true. I said I wasn't sure if the regulations required us to have a full mess dress uniform. We WERE required to maintain one 35-10 Service Dress uniform. For the Air Force, Service Dress would be considered Dress Blues. Mess Dress was for formal occasions that had a flag officer or higher in attendance. I was enlisted so I wasn't required to attend formal events, and I don't remember, but I don't think enlisted were required to meet the "Mess Dress" uniform requirement, though they could if they wanted to spend out of pocket for it. I was a bit gung-ho when I was in and did things like that.

Like I said, I kept my ribbons up to date, but only had my medals mounted when I was required to go to a formal gig that required them. At the end of my career, a new ribbon bar was around 20 bucks for me.

And, I didn't consider my dress blues to be inspection ready after hanging in the closet for 6 to 8 months unless they were freshly dry cleaned. It's hard to keep the white piping on the Crackerjacks white if they are hanging in the closet.

20 years. 4 Sea Service deployment ribbons, 2 National Defense Medals, 5 Good Conduct medals, Expert Pistol Medal, Navy Expeditionary Medal, Southwest Asia Service Medal, 3 Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medals, 2 Meritorious Unit Commendations, and finally, 1 Kuwait Liberation Medal.

Yeah, it got expensive when I had to get all those things mounted as a set.

You know, you guys keep saying that the parade will honor the military, but I can tell you from experience that it is more of a pain in the ass than anything.

You gotta get a haircut (10 bucks), you gotta get your uniform dry cleaned (15 bucks), if you have awards, you will have to get your ribbons and medals mounted (can be anywhere from a couple of bucks to a whole bunch. At the end of my career, it would cost me about 35 dollars to get them done). And, if you are lazy and don't know how to spit shine your shoes, it could be the cost of a pair of corafam shoes (shiny plastic shoes that look good for inspection, 45 bucks).

And, you have to spend all that money just to look good for a couple of hours. And yes, there is ALWAYS a personnel inspection before an event like this.
Then it's the epitome of hurry up and wait for your turn to march.....

You know, you guys keep saying that the parade will honor the military, but I can tell you from experience that it is more of a pain in the ass than anything.

You gotta get a haircut (10 bucks), you gotta get your uniform dry cleaned (15 bucks), if you have awards, you will have to get your ribbons and medals mounted (can be anywhere from a couple of bucks to a whole bunch. At the end of my career, it would cost me about 35 dollars to get them done). And, if you are lazy and don't know how to spit shine your shoes, it could be the cost of a pair of corafam shoes (shiny plastic shoes that look good for inspection, 45 bucks).

And, you have to spend all that money just to look good for a couple of hours. And yes, there is ALWAYS a personnel inspection before an event like this.

Shoot..................there's also the wasted time BEFORE the parade where they form you up and make sure that you remember how to march like you did in boot camp.

Shoot..................there's also the wasted time BEFORE the parade where they form you up and make sure that you remember how to march like you did in boot camp.
I always hated the "dog and pony show" every month also...

He got one for the best head cleaner..

20 years. 4 Sea Service deployment ribbons, 2 National Defense Medals, 5 Good Conduct medals, Expert Pistol Medal, Navy Expeditionary Medal, Southwest Asia Service Medal, 3 Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medals, 2 Meritorious Unit Commendations, and finally, 1 Kuwait Liberation Medal.

yes, I think I remember seeing some Navy boys got medals for shooting
we got badges
..IIRC, they didn't have to shoot well at all to get a medal....this was the early 80s

we got badges
..IIRC, they didn't have to shoot well at all to get a medal....this was the early 80s
I went in the Army in '82...

ribbons mounted cost $$?? wtf?? !!! mounted to what??!!

if they wear cammies--no cost
you have to have a haircut anyway
you should have those shoes already--or shined shoes already-
-lazy??!!!what unit is THAT??
--but I was in the USMC--what unit were you with? you didn't have inspections?

He was Navy ... You know, the folks that make the Marines ride along for security ... :dunno:

Mounting cost is how much it costs for you to take your medals to the uniform shop and have them sewn onto a bar in the proper order. Every award has a specific rank and it has to be on your uniform in that order. It goes in order of most important award to least, from top to bottom.

Guess you never earned more than just one medal then, because if you had, you would have had to get them mounted for full dress ceremonies.

IIRC 1 good conduct --I got Captain's Mast one time for getting out of hand at the E club
1 service medal--and something else..I'll have to dig up my papers--it's on the DD214, isn't it?

we got badges
I was guard duty for 4 years..then 4 years in the Fleet

we got badges
I was guard duty for 4 years..then 4 years in the Fleet
I had 6 years to learn how to not do any duty...

here it is:
1 good conduct
1 unit commendation
sea service with 2 stars--

IIRC 1 good conduct --I got Captain's Mast one time for getting out of hand at the E club
1 service medal--and something else..I'll have to dig up my papers--it's on the DD214, isn't it?
It is.

I have a good conduct with 3 clusters. 2 unit award citations. A marksman with a cluster (m16 and handgun), a north pole ( I don't remember the name of it), and one medal. A commendation medal for finding a significant equipment drift during a calibration exercise. If it hadn't been found, the mathematical equations would have underreported the yield size by nearly two orders of magnitude.

It is.

I have a good conduct with 3 clusters. 2 unit award citations. A marksman with a cluster (m16 and handgun), a north pole ( I don't remember the name of it), and one medal. A commendation medal for finding a significant equipment drift during a calibration exercise. If it hadn't been found, the mathematical equations would have underreported the yield size by nearly two orders of magnitude.
the USMC used to be known for not giving out medals for just anything

It is.

the USMC used to be known for not giving out medals for just anything
Well, I don't blame the Air Force for My lack of medals. It was a career field that didn't lend itself to very much heroism. I was in for less than 9 years, so it's not a big deal.

the clothes and cleaning and ribbons is the least of it....it takes PRACTICE to have a parade, wasted hours on end....
and a lot of time to get your tanks and other equipment all spit shined, and then the moving of everything to Washington DC from all over the country, then the logistics of whether the roads can even handle the weight of the tanks and them tearing up the roads in washington DC with this type of parade and also the risk of moving equipment from the bases of where they belong, and a lot of other pain in the ass things for them to do and go through, for them to honor themselves.... it just seems stupid and such a waste of time to make these guys we are suppose to be honoring have to go through all of this when usually, a parade is put on by OTHERS...in gratitude for the ones we are celebrating, and making the military go through all of the logistics and work is truly stupid.....

We should be putting n a parade for them.... not them having to do the work to put on a parade for themselves.

Forum List

Back