Boston Mayor Woo Proudly Shows Off Photo Of ‘No Whites’ Holiday Party

Don't even try and convince us that you wouldn't go batshit crazy if this were a party just for white elected officials. Excluding any race from participating in anything is RACIST, you jeck.
It’s the Boston holiday party heard ‘round the world.

On Wednesday, a group of lawmakers and their significant others gathered at Parkman House, a city-owned mansion on Beacon Hill. There were a few city councilors, some state representatives, a state senator, a sheriff, a district attorney, and the mayor of Boston, who was the host. Warm affirmations were shared among the various pols and their partners. The food was catered from Chinatown. There was no live music. The attire was mostly business; many of the men wore suits.

A seemingly innocuous holiday party is not usually headline news, but this week’s gathering for a local “Electeds of Color” group went viral after an e-mail gaffe for the soiree, which was first reported by The Boston Herald.

Specifically, a City Hall aide mistakenly sent an invitation to the entire Boston City Council, including the body’s seven white members. Shortly after, the aide apologized via e-mail. The party was intended for lawmakers of color.

That faux-pas has provided grist for an online outrage machine and garnered international headlines. Much of the wrath hinged on the concept of “reverse racism” and complaints about notions of diversity and equity.

For State Representative Russell Holmes, a Mattapan Democrat who is one of the founders of the “Electeds of Color” group, much of the reaction to the event is underpinned “by pure hatred.”

“This is an annual event that we’ve had,” said Holmes.

Holmes said he formed the “Electeds of Color” group about 13 years ago, along with former city councilor Tito Jackson, and former state representative Carlos Henriquez. The idea was to improve communication and foster collaboration among lawmakers who represented communities of color, said Holmes. He said the Boston-based group came about after the three pols attended a meeting and were unaware of where each of them was positioned on a certain issue.

Bet you don't get many drive-by shootings at your parties.

I'm just sayin'.

We mostly have our whites only meetings in the backyard. Streets here are safe due to huge speed bumps and school traffic zones.

Holmes said the group tries to get Boston lawmakers of color on the same page, whether it’s about a response to police brutality, open political offices, or the redistricting process.

“We mentor each other, we care for each other,” said Holmes.

He said that the annual holiday party is not about exclusion of white people, noting that lawmakers’ partners are invited, regardless of their race. He also noted that identity-based political groups are not unusual, that there are Black, Latino, and women caucuses.

The End

In City Hall, it’s hard to find anyone who is willing to say the party was offensive or a problem on the record.

“I don’t have any objection to the mayor hosting a party for electeds of color,” said Councilor Liz Breadon, who is white.

“I have plenty of things to work on and to worry about before the end of the year but this is not one of them,” said Councilor Gabriela “Gigi” Coletta, who also identifies as white.

Councilor Frank Baker, who is white and long considered to be the most conservative member of the body, focused Friday on the blowback directed at the City Hall aide, saying such vitriol was “not proper, not correct.”

no one cares

really

I think people are interested in government officials having race exclusionary parties on the company's dime. I mean if you're paying then okay but if the government is footing the bill not so much.

Why would white elected officials want a party celebrating whites making progress?

Yo do know what the party was: elected officials of color wanting a party celebrating making progress?

And excluding others from celebrating their accomplishments and progress, based on the color of their skin is not good team bonding. It's exactly the opposite, and offensive.

Excluding people based on skin tone is always wrong and no one should be excusing this
It wasn't about excluding all white people.

"He said that the annual holiday party is not about exclusion of white people, noting that lawmakers’ partners are invited, regardless of their race. He also noted that identity-based political groups are not unusual, that there are Black, Latino, and women caucuses."

it can't be fake Lord-Humungus

Last edited:
And excluding others from celebrating their accomplishments and progress, based on the color of their skin is not good team bonding. It's exactly the opposite, and offensive.

Really? Stop projecting your damaged self-worth and racism:

In City Hall, it’s hard to find anyone who is willing to say the party was offensive or a problem on the record.

“I don’t have any objection to the mayor hosting a party for electeds of color,” said Councilor Liz Breadon, who is white.

“I have plenty of things to work on and to worry about before the end of the year but this is not one of them,” said Councilor Gabriela “Gigi” Coletta, who also identifies as white.

Councilor Frank Baker, who is white and long considered to be the most conservative member of the body, focused Friday on the blowback directed at the City Hall aide, saying such vitriol was “not proper, not correct.”

Forum List

Back