Book-burning liberals ban classic movie "Gone With the Wind".

That is the argument of you idiots who want blacks to thank you for slavery are making.

After the ali-formean fight in 1974 ali was asked what he thought of Zoire. "I sho is glad my grand-daddy got on that boat." Even blacks know that no matter how poor they are in america, it's still better than africa.

GWTW was the first movie I saw that was right on track with the movie. What you read, you also saw on the screen. I was impressed. Very VERY few books successfully make it to the big screen and stick with what the author actually wrote.

WRONG. The book said scarlet was NOT beautiful and then they cast vivian leigh in the movie.

The Progs must hate that Hattie McDaniel won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress.

Do we ban WW2 movies just because german-americans and japanese-americans might be offended?

Orpheum theater won’t show ‘Gone With the Wind,’ calling film ‘insensitive’

aug 25 2017 MEMPHIS, Tenn. — “Gone With the Wind” will be gone from The Orpheum’s summer movie series, the theater’s board said Friday.

The Orpheum Theatre Group decided not to include the 1939 movie about a plantation in the Civil War-era South in its 2018 Summer Movie Series after feedback from patrons following the last screening Aug. 11.

“As an organization whose stated mission is to ‘entertain, educate and enlighten the communities it serves’, the Orpheum cannot show a film that is insensitive to a large segment of its local population,” the theater’s operators said in a statement.

Memphis’ population is about 64 percent African-American.
Silly ass. A private business decision, made by a business. No government involved. You can buy the DVD anywhere, so what is your problem?

People have been calling Gone With the Wind insensitive for so long, I'm surprised any theater is still showing it. While I understand the objections....
I love that movie. Saw it for the first time when I was in 6th grade, at the old theater in town that was built for movies like that one. It had one theater, red velvet brocade on the walls, plush seats with actual leg room and a silver screen that stretched from here to Sunday. Now that was the way to see that movie. Holy cow.
I've seen it so many times I can recite most of the dialogue. I no longer cry, but the first five times or so, it took a box of kleenex to get through it.
And for the critics, Mammy was marvelous (Hattie McDaniel) and I remember her with as much appreciation as Scarlet or Melanie or anyone else.

There weren't many main roles for blacks in major motion pictures during that time period. Why would some theater want to ban a movie that was groundbreaking for civil rights? That doesn't make any sense to me.
It wasn't ground breaking for civil rights. It portrayed black slaves as happy with their masters and the South as a perfectly lovely place for all, slave and master alike, to live. Except for Scarlet losing it with Prissy when Melanie was having her baby, no slave got mistreated at all. She got a slap on the face. That was it. And the depiction of the KKK meeting where Ashley got hurt? Wow. Talk about sympathetic to the "Cause."
A little different from 12 Years a Slave, don't you think?
But all the same, I love it.
We can't keep ditching books, movies and art just because they were representative of the time they were created. If someone doesn't like it, no one is forcing them to view it. Usually those things just go the way of the old and forgotten, at some point, anyway, because they're dated.
Gone With the Wind was a classic, however, and for white people, anyway, a really inspirational movie on never, ever giving up. That damned Scarlet was my hero for so, so long. Flawed but immensely strong.

Incidentally, Hattie McDaniel who played "Mammy" in that movie, was the first African American actress to win an Academy Award. Banning the movie not only is an injustice to a classic movie, it's an injustice to black people.
I wouldn't go that far, but she sure was terrific.
You do understand the argument against it, even though you don't agree with it, don't you?
The argument being they portrayed the treatment of slaves as "too nice".

Liberals are loons
They DID portray the treatment of slaves as "too nice." If someone doesn't want to go to see it, they don't have to. I wish the theater had not pulled it, but if their customer base is that politically sensitive, I suppose it would make sense for them.

Forum List

Back