Book-burning liberals ban classic movie "Gone With the Wind".

The character of Scarlett O'Hara is fascinating....but doesn't a theater have the right to make their own call on what to show?.....or does the OP want to force them?

Their theater, their rules. But they have no right to judge the movie as being "insensitive" to a large segment of the local population, just because of a few people's objections.

If those few people objecting to the movie don't like it, then don't go see it. I think this is merely pandering more than anything else.

An interesting note though: The Orpheum's CEO Brett Batterson got his start in Nashville working on shows like The Statler Brothers Show and Hee-Haw. The theater is also showing movies like "Psycho" which depicts violent murder, and "The Rocky Picture Horror Show", which depicts transsexuals.
Sounds like a fun theater. The Rocky Horror Picture Show is immensely friendly to trannies, though. The guy who played the trannie was absolutely phenomenal.
And what's Pyscho got to do with anything?

Hardly "family entertainment" like the theater claims its movies are. Would you take your 10 year old kids to see Psycho?
Nope. I've never seen it, either. Too scary.

The character of Scarlett O'Hara is fascinating....but doesn't a theater have the right to make their own call on what to show?.....or does the OP want to force them?

Their theater, their rules. But they have no right to judge the movie as being "insensitive" to a large segment of the local population, just because of a few people's objections.

If those few people objecting to the movie don't like it, then don't go see it. I think this is merely pandering more than anything else.

An interesting note though: The Orpheum's CEO Brett Batterson got his start in Nashville working on shows like The Statler Brothers Show and Hee-Haw. The theater is also showing movies like "Psycho" which depicts violent murder, and "The Rocky Picture Horror Show", which depicts transsexuals.
Sounds like a fun theater. The Rocky Horror Picture Show is immensely friendly to trannies, though. The guy who played the trannie was absolutely phenomenal.
And what's Pyscho got to do with anything?

Hardly "family entertainment" like the theater claims its movies are. Would you take your 10 year old kids to see Psycho?
Nope. I've never seen it, either. Too scary.

I guess a movie about the Civil War is also too scary to a handful of liberals in Memphis.

Do we ban WW2 movies just because german-americans and japanese-americans might be offended?

Orpheum theater won’t show ‘Gone With the Wind,’ calling film ‘insensitive’

aug 25 2017 MEMPHIS, Tenn. — “Gone With the Wind” will be gone from The Orpheum’s summer movie series, the theater’s board said Friday.

The Orpheum Theatre Group decided not to include the 1939 movie about a plantation in the Civil War-era South in its 2018 Summer Movie Series after feedback from patrons following the last screening Aug. 11.

“As an organization whose stated mission is to ‘entertain, educate and enlighten the communities it serves’, the Orpheum cannot show a film that is insensitive to a large segment of its local population,” the theater’s operators said in a statement.

Memphis’ population is about 64 percent African-American.
People have been calling Gone With the Wind insensitive for so long, I'm surprised any theater is still showing it. While I understand the objections....
I love that movie. Saw it for the first time when I was in 6th grade, at the old theater in town that was built for movies like that one. It had one theater, red velvet brocade on the walls, plush seats with actual leg room and a silver screen that stretched from here to Sunday. Now that was the way to see that movie. Holy cow.
I've seen it so many times I can recite most of the dialogue. I no longer cry, but the first five times or so, it took a box of kleenex to get through it.
And for the critics, Mammy was marvelous (Hattie McDaniel) and I remember her with as much appreciation as Scarlet or Melanie or anyone else.

There weren't many main roles for blacks in major motion pictures during that time period. Why would some theater want to ban a movie that was groundbreaking for civil rights? That doesn't make any sense to me.
It wasn't ground breaking for civil rights. It portrayed black slaves as happy with their masters and the South as a perfectly lovely place for all, slave and master alike, to live. Except for Scarlet losing it with Prissy when Melanie was having her baby, no slave got mistreated at all. She got a slap on the face. That was it. And the depiction of the KKK meeting where Ashley got hurt? Wow. Talk about sympathetic to the "Cause."
A little different from 12 Years a Slave, don't you think?
But all the same, I love it.
We can't keep ditching books, movies and art just because they were representative of the time they were created. If someone doesn't like it, no one is forcing them to view it. Usually those things just go the way of the old and forgotten, at some point, anyway, because they're dated.
Gone With the Wind was a classic, however, and for white people, anyway, a really inspirational movie on never, ever giving up. That damned Scarlet was my hero for so, so long. Flawed but immensely strong.

Incidentally, Hattie McDaniel who played "Mammy" in that movie, was the first African American actress to win an Academy Award. Banning the movie not only is an injustice to a classic movie, it's an injustice to black people.

Do we ban WW2 movies just because german-americans and japanese-americans might be offended?

aug 25 2017 MEMPHIS, Tenn. — “Gone With the Wind” will be gone from The Orpheum’s summer movie series, the theater’s board said Friday.

The Orpheum Theatre Group decided not to include the 1939 movie about a plantation in the Civil War-era South in its 2018 Summer Movie Series after feedback from patrons following the last screening Aug. 11.

“As an organization whose stated mission is to ‘entertain, educate and enlighten the communities it serves’, the Orpheum cannot show a film that is insensitive to a large segment of its local population,” the theater’s operators said in a statement.

People have been calling Gone With the Wind insensitive for so long, I'm surprised any theater is still showing it. While I understand the objections....
I love that movie. Saw it for the first time when I was in 6th grade, at the old theater in town that was built for movies like that one. It had one theater, red velvet brocade on the walls, plush seats with actual leg room and a silver screen that stretched from here to Sunday. Now that was the way to see that movie. Holy cow.
I've seen it so many times I can recite most of the dialogue. I no longer cry, but the first five times or so, it took a box of kleenex to get through it.
And for the critics, Mammy was marvelous (Hattie McDaniel) and I remember her with as much appreciation as Scarlet or Melanie or anyone else.

There weren't many main roles for blacks in major motion pictures during that time period. Why would some theater want to ban a movie that was groundbreaking for civil rights? That doesn't make any sense to me.
It wasn't ground breaking for civil rights. It portrayed black slaves as happy with their masters and the South as a perfectly lovely place for all, slave and master alike, to live. Except for Scarlet losing it with Prissy when Melanie was having her baby, no slave got mistreated at all. She got a slap on the face. That was it. And the depiction of the KKK meeting where Ashley got hurt? Wow. Talk about sympathetic to the "Cause."
We can't keep ditching books, movies and art just because they were representative of the time they were created. If someone doesn't like it, no one is forcing them to view it. Usually those things just go the way of the old and forgotten, at some point, anyway, because they're dated.
Gone With the Wind was a classic, however, and for white people, anyway, a really inspirational movie on never, ever giving up. That damned Scarlet was my hero for so, so long. Flawed but immensely strong.

Incidentally, Hattie McDaniel who played "Mammy" in that movie, was the first African American actress to win an Academy Award. Banning the movie not only is an injustice to a classic movie, it's an injustice to black people.
I wouldn't go that far, but she sure was terrific.
You do understand the argument against it, even though you don't agree with it, don't you?

You do understand the argument against it, even though you don't agree with it, don't you?

No, please explain why the film should be banned.

That's exactly what the fascists want.

These idiots still believe that it's only Dems, liberals, progressives who would lose rights if they get the dictatorship they want.

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

Ambitious Imbeciles

Memphis's. Professional jurinalists belong to a low-talent class-climbing clique and should not be taken seriously as role models for educated language usage.

I don't think it should be banned. See post 17 for why some people object to it. I wrote it to YOU.

One theatre has refused to show a movie. Nothing has been banned and the movie was most certainly not "groundbreaking for civil rights".

Last edited:

The argument being they portrayed the treatment of slaves as "too nice".

Liberals are loons

That's exactly what the fascists want.

These idiots still believe that it's only Dems, liberals, progressives who would lose rights if they get the dictatorship they want.

Whut?? Let me see if I understand what you're trying to say:

Conservatives are "fascists" and they were responsible for banning "Gone With The Wind" at a theater?

And that "fascist" conservatives should make an alliance with Democrats, liberals, and progressives to prevent America from becoming a "dictatorship"?

EXACTLY who said the film should be banned?

One theatre has consented not to show a movie. Nothing has been banned and the movie was most certainly not "groundbreaking for civil rights".

The first African American actress to win an Academy Award isn't "groundbreaking"?

Oh that's right, you're a Democrat, right? I understand where you're coming from.

Liberals are loons

How is it loony to believe historically movies should accurate?

I really like historical hooks and films but I believe they should be accurate.

Why do you disagree?

Liberals are loons

Ahh, that makes more sense than anything else I've read in this thread. So if the movie had portrayed the horrors of Civil War era slavery in 3-D graphic detail with Surround Sound, they would all love the movie.

Sorry liberals, the movie wasn't about slavery. It was about how the ravages of war were destroying the South, and how a man and a woman fell in love.

Liberals are loons

Why do you disagree?

Liberals are loons

Why do you disagree?

That's why the script writers, producers, cast, and crew won Academy Awards, and you're just some schmuck posting on the internet.

The movie was released during a turbulent time, when Nazi Germany and Imperialist Japan were grabbing as much property as they could.

Do you really think people would have flocked to the theaters to see a movie portraying the Civil War the way you would have?

Forum List

Back