Book-burning liberals ban classic movie "Gone With the Wind".

Are there any other movies made in 1939 not being shown today ?

Some pretty good movies made that year: The Wizard of Oz, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Stagecoach, Wuthering Heights, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, and Gunga Din.

[
I love that movie. Saw it for the first time when I was in 6th grade, at the old theater in town that was built for movies like that one. It had one theater, red velvet brocade on the walls, plush seats with actual leg room and a silver screen that stretched from here to Sunday. Now that was the way to see that movie. Holy cow.
I've seen it so many times I can recite most of the dialogue. I no longer cry, but the first five times or so, it took a box of kleenex to get through it.
And for the critics, Mammy was marvelous (Hattie McDaniel) and I remember her with as much appreciation as Scarlet or Melanie or anyone else.

It is a wonderful movie. Very long but not confusing or boring.

[
The argument being they portrayed the treatment of slaves as "too nice".

Liberals are loons
Slavery is probably the best thing for blacks since they can't take care of themselves. Even today most american blacks are on welfare and dependent on white people. Then look at africa where blacks have to take care of themselves and it's a sewer.

Do we ban WW2 movies just because german-americans and japanese-americans might be offended?

Orpheum theater won’t show ‘Gone With the Wind,’ calling film ‘insensitive’

aug 25 2017 MEMPHIS, Tenn. — “Gone With the Wind” will be gone from The Orpheum’s summer movie series, the theater’s board said Friday.

The Orpheum Theatre Group decided not to include the 1939 movie about a plantation in the Civil War-era South in its 2018 Summer Movie Series after feedback from patrons following the last screening Aug. 11.

“As an organization whose stated mission is to ‘entertain, educate and enlighten the communities it serves’, the Orpheum cannot show a film that is insensitive to a large segment of its local population,” the theater’s operators said in a statement.

Memphis’ population is about 64 percent African-American.

Who has banned Gone with the Wind?

All you have shown is that a private business has decided not to show the film.

What do you have against capitalism?

[
Perhaps the descendants of those slaves owe this country a debt of gratitude for not having to be born in a disease-ridden jungle or some city where they place a tire around their neck and set it on fire.

If a man rapes a woman- and she bears a child- and then that child is sold to someone else- should that child be grateful for his mother being raped?

That is the argument of you idiots who want blacks to thank you for slavery are making.

Do we ban WW2 movies just because german-americans and japanese-americans might be offended?

aug 25 2017 MEMPHIS, Tenn. — “Gone With the Wind” will be gone from The Orpheum’s summer movie series, the theater’s board said Friday.

The Orpheum Theatre Group decided not to include the 1939 movie about a plantation in the Civil War-era South in its 2018 Summer Movie Series after feedback from patrons following the last screening Aug. 11.

“As an organization whose stated mission is to ‘entertain, educate and enlighten the communities it serves’, the Orpheum cannot show a film that is insensitive to a large segment of its local population,” the theater’s operators said in a statement.

People have been calling Gone With the Wind insensitive for so long, I'm surprised any theater is still showing it. While I understand the objections....
I love that movie. Saw it for the first time when I was in 6th grade, at the old theater in town that was built for movies like that one. It had one theater, red velvet brocade on the walls, plush seats with actual leg room and a silver screen that stretched from here to Sunday. Now that was the way to see that movie. Holy cow.
I've seen it so many times I can recite most of the dialogue. I no longer cry, but the first five times or so, it took a box of kleenex to get through it.
And for the critics, Mammy was marvelous (Hattie McDaniel) and I remember her with as much appreciation as Scarlet or Melanie or anyone else.

I find the film a bit dated, but the performances are very good- and the visual of the wounded in Atlanta still holds up.

We went and saw it in a theater about 10 years ago. Worth seeing in a big theater if you can.

The character of Scarlett O'Hara is fascinating....but doesn't a theater have the right to make their own call on what to show?.....or does the OP want to force them?

Their theater, their rules. But they have no right to judge the movie as being "insensitive".

We all have the right to judge whatever we want as 'insensitive.

Yes it is their theater- the OP lied- no one has banned "GTW"

The character of Scarlett O'Hara is fascinating....but doesn't a theater have the right to make their own call on what to show?.....or does the OP want to force them?

Their theater, their rules. But they have no right to judge the movie as being "insensitive" to a large segment of the local population, just because of a few people's objections.

If those few people objecting to the movie don't like it, then don't go see it. I think this is merely pandering more than anything else.

An interesting note though: The Orpheum's CEO Brett Batterson got his start in Nashville working on shows like The Statler Brothers Show and Hee-Haw. The theater is also showing movies like "Psycho" which depicts violent murder, and "The Rocky Picture Horror Show", which depicts transsexuals.
Sounds like a fun theater. The Rocky Horror Picture Show is immensely friendly to trannies, though. The guy who played the trannie was absolutely phenomenal.
And what's Pyscho got to do with anything?

Hardly "family entertainment" like the theater claims its movies are. Would you take your 10 year old kids to see Psycho?
Nope. I've never seen it, either. Too scary.

I guess a movie about the Civil War is also too scary to a handful of liberals in Memphis.

You think that Gone with the Wind is only a movie about the Civil War?

Who has said they are too scared to see the movie?

[
The argument being they portrayed the treatment of slaves as "too nice".

Liberals are loons
Slavery is probably the best thing for blacks since they can't take care of themselves. Even today most american blacks are on welfare and dependent on white people. Then look at africa where blacks have to take care of themselves and it's a sewer.
I am just curious if there will be a single Conservative who will bother to disagree with this racist idiot.

The "tolerant leftists" today are far worse than WWII Nazis! Plus the Nazi's would have fucked them up so even that comparison is idiotic.

GWTW was the first movie I saw that was right on track with the movie. What you read, you also saw on the screen. I was impressed. Very VERY few books successfully make it to the big screen and stick with what the author actually wrote.

The "tolerant leftists" today are far worse than WWII Nazis! .

Okay we should have a poll here.

Which statement in this thread is more stupid?

Sharpshooters that blacks need to be in slavery?
or
Snouter that 'leftists' in America are worse than the Nazi's who murdered 3 million Jews?

People have been calling Gone With the Wind insensitive for so long, I'm surprised any theater is still showing it. While I understand the objections....
Racist!

I haven't seen Democrats this mad since we freed their slaves.

Forum List

Back