Book-burning liberals ban classic movie "Gone With the Wind".

ShootSpeeders

Gold Member
May 13, 2012
Do we ban WW2 movies just because german-americans and japanese-americans might be offended?

Orpheum theater wonā€™t show ā€˜Gone With the Wind,ā€™ calling film ā€˜insensitiveā€™

aug 25 2017 MEMPHIS, Tenn. ā€” ā€œGone With the Windā€ will be gone from The Orpheumā€™s summer movie series, the theaterā€™s board said Friday.

The Orpheum Theatre Group decided not to include the 1939 movie about a plantation in the Civil War-era South in its 2018 Summer Movie Series after feedback from patrons following the last screening Aug. 11.

ā€œAs an organization whose stated mission is to ā€˜entertain, educate and enlighten the communities it servesā€™, the Orpheum cannot show a film that is insensitive to a large segment of its local population,ā€ the theaterā€™s operators said in a statement.

Memphisā€™ population is about 64 percent African-American.

• Banned
Memphis is NOT 64% black. Cities always underestimate the number of blacks since they know the truth will scare away business. 64% means 85%.

As usual, SS is lying.

No one burned any books.

Nothing has been banned.

Has there ever been a factual, truthful post by this bottom feeding, cracker ass, trailer trash OP?

We wouldn't have won WW2 if we hadn't had some kind of a nationalist pride in being Americans. Hate is a very powerful motivational tool and had we not been able to portray the enemy as being sub-human and referring to them with colorful names, a large number of Americans might have ended up being marched off the the gas chambers or used for bayonet practice by Imperial Japanese soldiers.

Without white people, the blacks would never know any of their own history of the world

Without white people, the blacks would never know any of their own history of the world

You have a point there. Had they not been brought to the new world, would Africa had somehow miraculously blossomed into a civilized country with great architectural masterpieces like the Empire State Building and the Golden Gate Bridge? Would Africans have a Bill of Rights, a constitution that allows them freedom of speech and religion, the right to own firearms, and the right to elect their own leaders?

Perhaps the descendants of those slaves owe this country a debt of gratitude for not having to be born in a disease-ridden jungle or some city where they place a tire around their neck and set it on fire.

Assuming this is a privately owned theater, it really has nothing to do with being banned, it's their choice.

Ridiculous choice, but theirs.

Do we ban WW2 movies just because german-americans and japanese-americans might be offended?

Orpheum theater wonā€™t show ā€˜Gone With the Wind,ā€™ calling film ā€˜insensitiveā€™

aug 25 2017 MEMPHIS, Tenn. ā€” ā€œGone With the Windā€ will be gone from The Orpheumā€™s summer movie series, the theaterā€™s board said Friday.

The Orpheum Theatre Group decided not to include the 1939 movie about a plantation in the Civil War-era South in its 2018 Summer Movie Series after feedback from patrons following the last screening Aug. 11.

ā€œAs an organization whose stated mission is to ā€˜entertain, educate and enlighten the communities it servesā€™, the Orpheum cannot show a film that is insensitive to a large segment of its local population,ā€ the theaterā€™s operators said in a statement.

People have been calling Gone With the Wind insensitive for so long, I'm surprised any theater is still showing it. While I understand the objections....
I love that movie. Saw it for the first time when I was in 6th grade, at the old theater in town that was built for movies like that one. It had one theater, red velvet brocade on the walls, plush seats with actual leg room and a silver screen that stretched from here to Sunday. Now that was the way to see that movie. Holy cow.
I've seen it so many times I can recite most of the dialogue. I no longer cry, but the first five times or so, it took a box of kleenex to get through it.
And for the critics, Mammy was marvelous (Hattie McDaniel) and I remember her with as much appreciation as Scarlet or Melanie or anyone else.

JGalt: "We wouldn't have won WW2 if we hadn't had some kind of a nationalist pride in being Americans."
You have to go back to WW2 to find nationalist pride?

People have been calling Gone With the Wind insensitive for so long, I'm surprised any theater is still showing it. While I understand the objections....
I love that movie. Saw it for the first time when I was in 6th grade, at the old theater in town that was built for movies like that one. It had one theater, red velvet brocade on the walls, plush seats with actual leg room and a silver screen that stretched from here to Sunday. Now that was the way to see that movie. Holy cow.
I've seen it so many times I can recite most of the dialogue. I no longer cry, but the first five times or so, it took a box of kleenex to get through it.
And for the critics, Mammy was marvelous (Hattie McDaniel) and I remember her with as much appreciation as Scarlet or Melanie or anyone else.

There weren't many main roles for blacks in major motion pictures during that time period. Why would some theater want to ban a movie that was groundbreaking for civil rights? That doesn't make any sense to me.

Boycott the theater; no, one can read books, or watch movies, that reflect eras, ACCURATELY, and not find something offensive. Some parents I knew thought The Grapes of Wrath was too vulgar for high school students in my hometown; the librarian did NOT remove the classic,

JGalt: "We wouldn't have won WW2 if we hadn't had some kind of a nationalist pride in being Americans."
You have to go back to WW2 to find nationalist pride?

No, there were many other times American nationalism had a part in defending this country. I'm just saying that had it not been for that and a hatred and the willingness to dehumanize the enemy, we might have lost.

Boycott the theater; no, one can read books, or watch movies, that reflect eras, ACCURATELY, and not find something offensive. Some parents I knew thought The Grapes of Wrath was too vulgar for high school students in my hometown; the librarian did NOT remove the classic,
Will you be boycotting all theaters who are not showing that 1939 film? Just curious.

There weren't many main roles for blacks in major motion pictures during that time period. Why would some theater want to ban a movie that was groundbreaking for civil rights? That doesn't make any sense to me.
It wasn't ground breaking for civil rights. It portrayed black slaves as happy with their masters and the South as a perfectly lovely place for all, slave and master alike, to live. Except for Scarlet losing it with Prissy when Melanie was having her baby, no slave got mistreated at all. She got a slap on the face. That was it. And the depiction of the KKK meeting where Ashley got hurt? Wow. Talk about sympathetic to the "Cause."
A little different from 12 Years a Slave, don't you think?
But all the same, I love it.
We can't keep ditching books, movies and art just because they were representative of the time they were created. If someone doesn't like it, no one is forcing them to view it. Usually those things just go the way of the old and forgotten, at some point, anyway, because they're dated.
Gone With the Wind was a classic, however, and for white people, anyway, a really inspirational movie on never, ever giving up. That damned Scarlet was my hero for so, so long. Flawed but immensely strong.

The character of Scarlett O'Hara is fascinating....but doesn't a theater have the right to make their own call on what to show?.....or does the OP want to force them?

Their theater, their rules. But they have no right to judge the movie as being "insensitive" to a large segment of the local population, just because of a few people's objections.

If those few people objecting to the movie don't like it, then don't go see it. I think this is merely pandering more than anything else.

An interesting note though: The Orpheum's CEO Brett Batterson got his start in Nashville working on shows like The Statler Brothers Show and Hee-Haw. The theater is also showing movies like "Psycho" which depicts violent murder, and "The Rocky Picture Horror Show", which depicts transsexuals.

The character of Scarlett O'Hara is fascinating....but doesn't a theater have the right to make their own call on what to show?.....or does the OP want to force them?

Their theater, their rules. But they have no right to judge the movie as being "insensitive" to a large segment of the local population, just because of a few people's objections.

If those few people objecting to the movie don't like it, then don't go see it. I think this is merely pandering more than anything else.

An interesting note though: The Orpheum's CEO Brett Batterson got his start in Nashville working on shows like The Statler Brothers Show and Hee-Haw. The theater is also showing movies like "Psycho" which depicts violent murder, and "The Rocky Picture Horror Show", which depicts transsexuals.
Sounds like a fun theater. The Rocky Horror Picture Show is immensely friendly to trannies, though. The guy who played the trannie was absolutely phenomenal.
And what's Pyscho got to do with anything?

Sounds like a fun theater. The Rocky Horror Picture Show is immensely friendly to trannies, though. The guy who played the trannie was absolutely phenomenal.
And what's Pyscho got to do with anything?

Hardly "family entertainment" like the theater claims its movies are. Would you take your 10 year old kids to see Psycho?

Forum List

Back