Blah, Another AR.....Would You Have bought It?

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I went by my local pawn shop this morning and the owner asked me if I wanted a AR. I asked what flavor and he said American Tactical. I turned-up my nose and then he said it had a Vortex optic on it and went in the back and brought it out....Not as bad as I thought as it was the alum receiver "Mil-Sport" version, not the poly one.

Well turns out it was in .300 BO with some good parts on it....The Vortex 3X9X50 in a Monstrum mount, a Streamlight TLR1, and some flavor of NM trigger. I asked how much and he said $450.00, I haggled him down to $400.00 and took it home. I'll sell the scope for around $125.00 so that will defray the cost some.

I removed the scope, kept the mount and installed a 25mm - 4X scope I had used on a ML for years and bore-sighted it. I had two whole boxes of .300 BO to my name left over from a pistol build I sold off some years back and headed to my range. It worked/shot just fine so I guess I'm "stuck" with it. ;)

a 001 (2).JPG

It weighs 7.2# as pictured.....That's a half pound more than a Marlin .30-30 (no scope) that I'm working on. I had a 30 round mag but I used a 20 rounder to sight it in.

I went by my local pawn shop this morning and the owner asked me if I wanted a AR. I asked what flavor and he said American Tactical. I turned-up my nose and then he said it had a Vortex optic on it and went in the back and brought it out....Not as bad as I thought as it was the alum receiver "Mil-Sport" version, not the poly one.

Well turns out it was in .300 BO with some good parts on it....The Vortex 3X9X50 in a Monstrum mount, a Streamlight TLR1, and some flavor of NM trigger. I asked how much and he said $450.00, I haggled him down to $400.00 and took it home. I'll sell the scope for around $125.00 so that will defray the cost some.

I removed the scope, kept the mount and installed a 25mm - 4X scope I had used on a ML for years and bore-sighted it. I had two whole boxes of .300 BO to my name left over from a pistol build I sold off some years back and headed to my range. It worked/shot just fine so I guess I'm "stuck" with it. ;)

View attachment 625055

It weighs 7.2# as pictured.....That's a half pound more than a Marlin .30-30 (no scope) that I'm working on. I had a 30 round mag but I used a 20 rounder to sight it in.

Nope. I have enough.

I get it but I sorta wanted a .300 carbine build....That and there's always the next "panic" to profit off of trade-wise.....During the last one I got a very nice 1901 Winchester M1895 SRC in .30 Army for a <$400.00 home build. ;)

I just bought one of the Sig .300 blackout suppressed uppers. Single stamp, and far more useful than yet another AR in the safe.

Meh, to each his own.

Yup. I have four AR's, I don't need another. I am not buying for resale. I buy what I want, when I want it. I had a Yankee Hill titanium suppressor sitting around, so I bought an FN SCAR 17S for it. It's fun, and it does the job I wanted it to do.

Last edited:

View attachment 625055

I've been debating a 300 BO in a pistol configuration. However I already have 2 AR47s so why add another similar but more expensive caliber into the mix?

DON"T GET YOUR .223 and 300BO MIXED UP!!!!!!!

If you try to fire a 300BO in a .223 barrel hilarity will ensue.

Keep the ammo separate and mark your magazines. I have seen several accounts of destroyed barrels because somebody inadvertently shot a 300 cartridge in a .223 rifle.

I've been debating a 300 BO in a pistol configuration. However I already have 2 AR47s so why add another similar but more expensive caliber into the mix?

The only reason for a blackout is a suppressor. If you don't have the suppressor, the blackout is useless.

View attachment 625055

Not a bad deal at all! Seems kinda heavy, why is that?

Not a bad deal at all! Seems kinda heavy, why is that?
Barrel profile, mount, scope.

I ended-up stripping it down and rebuilding it to a basic rifle (keeping the good parts) and trading it off on a handgun.

I installed the NM trigger in another build along with the TLR and sold the scope on eBay. I came out pretty good on it in the end.....Just part of the fun. ;)

Forum List

Back