Biden just said he's planning to build trains that travel as fast as commercial jets

I’ve never been on a train for a long trip but I can’t imagine you don’t check your bags. I don’t see everyone going to their seats with two rolling suit cases. No way.

Second, there’s no chance these trains won’t have a two hour check in time with TSA and all the same shit they have at airports. We used to run into an airport 15 minutes before take off, not now. Trains would be the same.

Third, and this is the technical part. You can’t just have a train going LA to NY like a direct flight. It’s not feasable, cost wise or use wise. The train would have to stop. A lot. So what stops? Let’s say LA, SLC, Denver, KC, STL, Chicago, Philly, NYC? Something like that. You aren’t smoking through those cities at 350 mph, sudden stop, 15 minute unload reload time and back to 350 mph. It’s an hour per stop minimum after slowing down well before getting there and leaving.

None of it makes sense as a tax payer investment. If a private railroad thinks they can do it I’m all for it. Not all of us paying for this mess.

Also, high speed trains only hit top speeds on long, straight, flat stretches of track. Do you envision a lot of those going over the Rocky Mountains, the Appalachians, the Sierras? Biden is an idiot.

Did you ever see how the Romans made streets?

To me this is a non-story, this is the same as Trump’s floating the ideas that would help fight diseases like Covid. I’m more worried about adding so much more money to the debt and no bid contracts.

Not t be out done by his train speed remarks Senile Joe now says commercial airliners will fly at Mach 32. And this clown is the US President?

Dementia Joe told Americans on Wednesday that the US will have commercial aircraft flying at subsonic speeds, supersonic speeds, be able to figuratively, if you may, if we decide to do it, be able to traverse the world in an hour, travel at 21,000 miles an hour.

le joe now says

Not t be out done by his train speed remarks Senile Joe now says commercial airliners will fly at Mach 32. And this clown is the US President?

Dementia Joe told Americans on Wednesday that the US will have commercial aircraft flying at subsonic speeds, supersonic speeds, be able to figuratively, if you may, if we decide to do it, be able to traverse the world in an hour, travel at 21,000 miles an hour.

le joe now says
Can you imagine the G-Forces put upon your body to get from NY to LA in 7 minutes?

I think the senile old fuck missed a diaper change or something.

Whelp, first off your quote says "close to", not "as fast as". Second, the TGV (Train de Grand Vitesse) in France has been clocked at over 350 mph; and third, airports are always located well outside of cities, which adds all the time, assuming no schedule delays, of commuting to one airport and from the other, the security lines, check-in, waiting for baggage carousels, all of that, resulting in the fact that I could drive from here in the sticks of North Carolina to downtown Nashville in the same time the company's plane ticket would get me there, and that's simply easy car driving and not a TGV. Even a slow train would beat the plane there.

Trains, in contrast to airports, rarely ever fall out of the sky and therefore bring you right to the center of town.

Have you thought about the cost of maintaining and securing thousands of miles of track? Guess not.

Every day Joe Biden says something more stupid and ridiculous than before.
Sometimes they are just bald faced lies...like no background checks at gun shows (wrong!).
And then there are incredible mind boggling claims like this "trains traveling as fast as jets"
statement.

It makes the morons that back Addlepated Joe accomplices to his absolute whopping lies and
distortions. You suckers are all liars too.

California proved it could not complete a 'High-Speed Rail' project from one city in Ca to another City in Ca, after spending approx $100 million on the project.

Any attempt to build 'Hi-Speed' Rail in the US would be Impossible.
- The price tag would be unaffordable
-- More than the trains and the rail, barriers, walls, etc... along the track required to prevent collisions / accidents would add billions, if not more, to the cost of the trains.
- Environmentalists would bog down the projects with law suit after law suit against routes / construction

...and much more.

Whelp, first off your quote says "close to", not "as fast as". Second, the TGV (Train de Grand Vitesse) in France has been clocked at over 350 mph; and third, airports are always located well outside of cities, which adds all the time, assuming no schedule delays, of commuting to one airport and from the other, the security lines, check-in, waiting for baggage carousels, all of that, resulting in the fact that I could drive from here in the sticks of North Carolina to downtown Nashville in the same time the company's plane ticket would get me there, and that's simply easy car driving and not a TGV. Even a slow train would beat the plane there.

Trains, in contrast to airports, rarely ever fall out of the sky and therefore bring you right to the center of town.

I never saw a plane derail.

Whelp, first off your quote says "close to", not "as fast as". Second, the TGV (Train de Grand Vitesse) in France has been clocked at over 350 mph; and third, airports are always located well outside of cities, which adds all the time, assuming no schedule delays, of commuting to one airport and from the other, the security lines, check-in, all of that, resulting in the fact that I could drive from here in the sticks of North Carolina to downtown Nashville in the same time the company's plane ticket would get me there, and that's simply easy car driving and not a TGV.

Train stations, in contrast to airports, rarely ever fall out of the sky and therefore bring you right to the center of town.

So you agree with Biden's assessment that a train can get you "across the country" almost as fast as a commercial jet? Let's hear you say it...

Are YOU saying that a train will NEVER be able to travel as fast as current commercial aircraft? Let's hear you say that bit of stupid.

Nope. Top speeds of a train are 267mph. Commercial airliner is around 570mph. Aint gonna happen.

Top speeds [sic] of which train? I've already posted that the TGV has done over 350. That's not even counting the hyperloop others have posted about which would double that. That hyperloop doesn't exist yet, but the alleged quote, again DOES say "imagine a world where", it does not say "you can do this right now".

Besides which, as I pointed out at the beginning of all this, plane travel involves a fuck of a lot more than just the flying, which adds hours to the trip.

I swear ta god summa y'all seem to have never been on a plane trip at all. Which is fine, but don't sit here and pontificate on something y'all don't understand.

350 mph is a lie, no passenger trains do that with passengers on board. There is no demand for this in the USA except the NE coast, Boston/NYC/Philly/DC.

Funny. there didn't used to be any passenger jets capable of supersonic flight. But then, THERE WERE!

And now there aren’t. They were too expensive to keep flying and had a tendency to crash. If they had government subsidies they would still be here though.

And they're bringing them back

You keep digging up this off topic crap to avoid why you are just dead wrong.

Biden was speaking of the future.
You demand to believe that he was talking about now.

You're confused or just being dishonest.

He might be talking about. . . "the future," but what we have now, are real, practical applications for that NOW, as this is the infrastructure bill. Spending money on unproven tech is reckless. Especially if it is not in demand by the free market.

Joe Biden Says Trains Will Soon Be Almost as Fast as Planes. That's Ridiculous.
Advocates of high-speed rail have been overpromising and underdelivering for decades, but Biden just raised the bar.

". . . For context, the fastest speed that a train has ever achieved—not while carrying passengers, mind you, but just as an experiment—is 357 mph. Over long distances, while carrying passengers and making stops at stations, the world's speediest train is China's Beijing to Nanjing line, which runs at slightly less than 200 mph.

Meanwhile, the average speed of a commercial jet in the United States is about 500 mph.

That's not even close to being an apples-to-apples comparison. After all, planes carrying passengers used to routinely break the sound barrier (roughly 760 mph, though it varies based on atmospheric conditions), and experimental aircraft have gone far faster. Still, the world's fastest train still finishes a distant second when matched up against an average, boring Boeing 737.

In other words, "close to as fast" is doing a lot of heavy lifting in Biden's prediction about the future of transportation in America.

But the more important point has nothing to do with racing trains against planes. Biden's comments on Wednesday are part of a grand tradition of overpromising the potential of high-speed rail—though he might have set a new record for the widest gap between imagination and reality.. . . "

Video can be seen at this link;

Biden touts trains as fast as planes, supersonic jets in infrastructure push

In reality? The speech wasn't too bad when he didn't go off script. The right just tore it down, because when he did say dumb shit, like that train comment? It was, well, really out there. It short, it over promises, and under-delivers. It is a recipe for corruption, greed and graft. Just think of all those crumbling empty cities in China.

Like this one, pushing this infrastructure plan by saying, soon, someday, we would be able to fly around the world in an hour? wtf? :dunno:

". . . I tell the kids — the young people who work for me and to all my kids — when I go on college campuses, they’re going to see more change in the next 10 years than we’ve seen in the last 50 years. We’re going to talk about commercial aircraft flying at subsonic speeds — supersonic speeds. Be able to, figuratively, if you may — if we decided to do it, traverse the world in about an hour, travel 21,000 miles an hour. So much is changing. We have got to lead it. . . ."

The world will note that the link in the post above is the first time --- in post 145 --- that the quote in the OP has been sourced at all. It speaks volumes about the legitimacy of this discussion that it went on for two days without a defined subject.

Whelp, first off your quote says "close to", not "as fast as". Second, the TGV (Train de Grand Vitesse) in France has been clocked at over 350 mph; and third, airports are always located well outside of cities, which adds all the time, assuming no schedule delays, of commuting to one airport and from the other, the security lines, check-in, all of that, resulting in the fact that I could drive from here in the sticks of North Carolina to downtown Nashville in the same time the company's plane ticket would get me there, and that's simply easy car driving and not a TGV.

Train stations, in contrast to airports, rarely ever fall out of the sky and therefore bring you right to the center of town.

So you agree with Biden's assessment that a train can get you "across the country" almost as fast as a commercial jet? Let's hear you say it...

Are YOU saying that a train will NEVER be able to travel as fast as current commercial aircraft? Let's hear you say that bit of stupid.

Nope. Top speeds of a train are 267mph. Commercial airliner is around 570mph. Aint gonna happen.

Top speeds [sic] of which train? I've already posted that the TGV has done over 350. That's not even counting the hyperloop others have posted about which would double that. That hyperloop doesn't exist yet, but the alleged quote, again DOES say "imagine a world where", it does not say "you can do this right now".

Besides which, as I pointed out at the beginning of all this, plane travel involves a fuck of a lot more than just the flying, which adds hours to the trip.

I swear ta god summa y'all seem to have never been on a plane trip at all. Which is fine, but don't sit here and pontificate on something y'all don't understand.

350 mph is a lie, no passenger trains do that with passengers on board. There is no demand for this in the USA except the NE coast, Boston/NYC/Philly/DC.

It's documented. I posted the video earlier.

That'll be post 94 if you're scoring at home. Or even if you're by yourself.

Not with passengers. The fastest is a 19 mile track in China, 267 MPH. Shuttle from Airport in Shanghai.

I didn't say "with passengers", YOU DID. Your statement was, quote, "350 mph is a lie". I had already documented it with a fourteen-year-old video. It was actually around 357. And I don't know if you figured this out but every new transportation device runs, or drives, or flies, or sails, without passengers in its development.

Whelp, first off your quote says "close to", not "as fast as". Second, the TGV (Train `a Grand Vitesse) in France has been clocked at over 350 mph; and third, airports are always located well outside of cities, which adds all the time, assuming no schedule delays, of commuting to one airport and from the other, the security lines, check-in, waiting for baggage carousels, all of that, resulting in the fact that I could drive from here in the sticks of North Carolina to downtown Nashville in the same time the company's plane ticket would get me there, and that's simply easy car driving and not a TGV. Even a slow train would beat the plane there.

A plane's "rails" are its wings. Anything that changes those wings' ability to lift, be it direct damage, loss of hydraulics, power failure etc, will "derail" it. Technically only things that ride on rails can "derail" but everything that moves depends on some system, doesn't it. Which also includes maglev and the Musk pneumatic tube thingy, which are also not railed.

The point being that, if a train derails or if a car crashes, it's already on the surface of the earth and isn't going to plummet 38,000 feet to add injury to injury.

Whelp, first off your quote says "close to", not "as fast as". Second, the TGV (Train `a Grand Vitesse) in France has been clocked at over 350 mph; and third, airports are always located well outside of cities, which adds all the time, assuming no schedule delays, of commuting to one airport and from the other, the security lines, check-in, waiting for baggage carousels, all of that, resulting in the fact that I could drive from here in the sticks of North Carolina to downtown Nashville in the same time the company's plane ticket would get me there, and that's simply easy car driving and not a TGV. Even a slow train would beat the plane there.

A plane's "rails" are its wings. Anything that changes those wings' ability to lift, be it direct damage, loss of hydraulics, power failure etc, will "derail" it. Technically only things that ride on rails can "derail" but everything that moves depends on some system, doesn't it. Which also includes maglev and the Musk pneumatic tube thingy, which are also not railed.

The point being that, if a train derails or if a car crashes, it's already on the surface of the earth and isn't going to plummet 38,000 feet to add injury to injury.

There is no perfection. However a Prog always uses the worst things imaginable on an issue. If it was bad to fly, there would be no flight. Flying is the science approved follow on to trains.

Whelp, first off your quote says "close to", not "as fast as". Second, the TGV (Train de Grand Vitesse) in France has been clocked at over 350 mph; and third, airports are always located well outside of cities, which adds all the time, assuming no schedule delays, of commuting to one airport and from the other, the security lines, check-in, waiting for baggage carousels, all of that, resulting in the fact that I could drive from here in the sticks of North Carolina to downtown Nashville in the same time the company's plane ticket would get me there, and that's simply easy car driving and not a TGV.

We average better than 5K train/motor vehicle collisions a year. I suspect the number of plane/car collisions is lower.

Who knows, but the OP wasn't about collisions, it was about speed.

It was also about not knowing what a real link is.

HUGE difference between France and the US
View attachment 477937

Huger difference between how fast something goes and "how big France is".

Whelp, first off your quote says "close to", not "as fast as". Second, the TGV (Train de Grand Vitesse) in France has been clocked at over 350 mph; and third, airports are always located well outside of cities, which adds all the time, assuming no schedule delays, of commuting to one airport and from the other, the security lines, check-in, waiting for baggage carousels, all of that, resulting in the fact that I could drive from here in the sticks of North Carolina to downtown Nashville in the same time the company's plane ticket would get me there, and that's simply easy car driving and not a TGV.

We average better than 5K train/motor vehicle collisions a year. I suspect the number of plane/car collisions is lower.

Who knows, but the OP wasn't about collisions, it was about speed.

It was also about not knowing what a real link is.

I am guessing a 300mph train could really sneak around the corner and slice my car in half.

Cool. Then you'd have TWO cars.

The Government would tell him he had two cars and then take one half of his car and give it to some lazy douche who won't work to get one and then tell both of them that The Government provided them both with a car when in reality both have 1/2 of an unusable car.

There is no perfection. However a Prog always uses the worst things imaginable on an issue. If it was bad to fly, there would be no flight. Flying is the science approved follow on to trains.

This is amusing in its irony since the thread started off with a "will never work" attitude toward, direct quote, "imagination" and the Biden Bashers have been scrambling ever since to naysay it. Can't think of anything more courageous or forward-thinking than naysaying an idea that does not yet exist, for the apparent purpose of ensuring that it will never exist, because Luddites.

first off your quote says "close to", not "as fast as".
How close?

commercial jets fly 550 mph

will biden’s train go 500 mph?

or is 250 close enough for government work?

That's vague and undefined of course. Subjective. But what is defined is that "as fast as" is not the same thing as "close to" and therefore equating them is dishonest. Sorry you missed the point but also amazed, since it's the same point I've been making here for nine years.

Have you thought about the cost of maintaining and securing thousands of miles of track? Guess not.

Once AGAIN ---- "how fast" something is, is not "what something costs". You're playing Red Herring.

Did anyone except its critics think about the cost of maintaining Rump's border wall? There you go. Of course, Rump wasn't selling that on the basis of how fast the wall would be, was he.

But what is defined is that "as fast as" is not the same thing as "close to"
I understand that

the headline was inaccurate

but instead of belaboring one tiny little Gotcha I think the larger problem with the goofy idea of « supersonic « trains is far more important

and yes, I know not even libs are promising trains that fast

« supersonic » is just a figure of speech

Forum List

Back