Zone1 Beyonce Breaking Color Barriers in Country Music.

odanny

Diamond Member
May 7, 2017
Midwest - Trumplandia
Country music, at least in the olden days, was the almost exclusive domain of white singers and artists, with that one rare exception, the amazingly talented and successful artist known as:
Charley Pride

The unknown trailblazers of their times. Charley Pride racked up numerous hits and award winning singles, but the wimmen folk didn't have too many black stars, those women were not as warmly embraced by the genre.

Is that about to change now that Beyonce has topped that charts? I have heard that there are 2 other black women who are singing country, and only because there was a blurb about Beyonce sending them congratulatory notes.

Country music, at least in the olden days, was the almost exclusive domain of white singers and artists (making singers like
Charley Pride

The unknown trailblazers of their times. Charley Pride racked up numerous hits and award winning singles, but the wimmen folk didn't have too many black stars, those women were not as warmly embraced by the genre.

Is that about to change now that Beyonce has topped that charts?

Oh! Cultural Appropriation! :102: :aargh:

If it sounds like modern pop country, it sucks!

Charley Pride was a real country music artist.

And really, it's not like there weren't black cowboys, because there damn sure were.

Probably a little moreso in FL where if they could make it south of the St. Mary's river they were declared

free men and eligible for employment, and the ranchers protected them with mini armies.

Last edited:
Okay, it's not bad! Still doesn't qualify for real country.

No steel guitar = Does not meet The Duke's standard for country music.

Sounds like she has Shania Twain's songwriter.

They should make a movie about Charley Pride, he led one hell of an interesting life. Almost reminds me of the movie Forrest Gump, only this one is real:

In 1975, Pride's agent sold a 40-date tour package to a United Kingdom booking agent, who onward sold four dates to the Dublin-based Irish music promoter Jim Aiken. At the time, the Troubles were at their height, and few nonresident music and sports teams traveled there. Aiken subsequently traveled to Pride's winter 1975/'76 concert in Ohio, and persuaded Pride to play one of the concerts at Belfast's Ritz Cinema. Pride played the concert in November 1976, with his album song "Crystal Chandeliers" subsequently being released as a single in the UK and Ireland. Pride subsequently became a hero to both sides of the conflict for breaking the effective touring concert ban, his song "Crystal Chandeliers" was seen as a unity song, and the success of Pride's visit enabled Aiken to book further acts into Northern Ireland after his appearance.

Meh, just another reason not to care about what has happened to country music.
Well, at least her song isn't the damn generic anthem that been on all the stations for the past few years.

I mean seriously, it's all the same damn song with different words plugged in.

For the chorus they do it slower and with more emphasis. (and stupid)

Country music, at least in the olden days, was the almost exclusive domain of white singers and artists, with that one rare exception, the amazingly talented and successful artist known as:
Charley Pride

Is that about to change now that Beyonce has topped that charts? I have heard that there are 2 other black women who are singing country, and only because there was a blurb about Beyonce sending them congratulatory notes.

Charlie Pride did that 50 years ago.

Charley Pride

Well I love country music, pretty much all of it or at least the majority of it.

Country musuc is a form of blues, therefore for Beyonce to sing country is not any kind of cultural appropriation.

Well I love country music, pretty much all of it or at least the majority of it.
For me, with very few exceptions, in order to be considered country music it has to have steel guitar.

Patsy Cline is an exception.

But this is the real deal here! I love me some Charley Pride. Moreso than many others.

A whole concert by the man:

Beyonce first black woman to top Billboard 100 with #1 country song since its debut in 1964. So I guess whatever country music used to pass for is about to come to an end, as marketers, song writer, radio stations and others cater to a new generation.

Goodbye, old school country music. I'm old enough to remember.

90.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, at least her song isn't the damn generic anthem that been on all the stations for the past few years.

I mean seriously, it's all the same damn song with different words plugged in.

For the chorus they do it slower and with more emphasis. (and stupid)
As a songwriter, I cringe at "modern country" music. You don't even need AI to generate the lyrics. Just create a few sentences with beer, whiskey, pickup trucks, tight jeans, bare feet and T-shirts.

Forum List

Back