Bernie Sanders Says He Would Let Boston Marathon Bomber, Sex Predators And Murderers Vote

dunno. those are better questions for him and maybe he has more ideas around it. but i would ask him those questions and concerns before i said "bernie wants to let son of sam vote!" because that is taking what *is* said and putting "max drama" to it and i think that horse is long since dead and i'm tired of people flogging it and making every statement *extreme* in nature.

somewhere along the way we normalized the extreme. time to put things back where they belong and stop doing that.

bernie wants inmates to vote. can we clarify his position and ask for more details on that before we nail him for the statement?

that said - saying we need to rebuild america from the ground up in 10 years - ok - that's stupid from the word go.
There's nothing wrong, in my book, with letting the Son of Sam vote. He's still behind bars where we're safe from him. When people like andaronjim vote, that's just as "dangerous," in my book.

You should read a different book. Mass murderers should not have the same voting rights as law obiding citizens. Your insanity is noted. WTF?!?! Son of Sam?!?!
So if the inmate is not the 'son of sam', should he have the right to vote taken away from him too, in your book?

And what about the people who are in prison or on death row, who DID NOT commit the crime and were falsely accused and convicted? Strip them of their vote too?

I'm not certain if you've thought this thru...

Granted, there are emotional reasons for not wanting a "Son of Sam" to be able to vote, but there are consequences that could also occur with "big government' or a crooked government or a crookedly run prison that could also be given with good reason, of why some should be allowed to vote.

Regardless of the issue above, all inmates that step foot out of prison after serving their prescribed time behind bars, and are legally released, should be automatically given their right to vote back, imo. There should be no application to do such required... once they are freed from prison, they should have their voting rights automatically restored, regardless if on probation or not.

This would eliminate any shenanigans by the Political Parties, with ex-felon lists being manipulated to disenfranchise eligible voters.

#1) You assume they are innocent. What proof do you have they are wrongly convicted?
#2) Once released they should be able to vote as they have paid their debt to society IMO but that is NOT what Sanders said.
#3) Fine with me. If they are working and paying taxes, which they do on probation they should vote.

But you're moving the goal posts as you're a typical Leftist and in my book as bad as the Alt Right. Convicted Felons who are in prison should not be allowed to vote and anyone who thinks they should are insane.
Damn! I was going to 'thank' your post or even hit the 'agree' button, until you pulled your ''leftist" bull crud.. :p

I am fine with my state allowing prisoners to vote, and fine with your State not allowing them to vote, while in prison.

FYI- About 1%, 20,000 people are wrongly imprisoned, and are innocent.
How Many Innocent People are in Prison? - Innocence Project

It does not bother me that Bernie made a plea for such, his State of Vermont is the "other" US State that did not change their laws to take the vote away from prisoners after the Civil War, so to him, it is probably just 'normal' to think in such a manner.

I don't understand if he was proposing something, like a federal law to do such, which would never pass muster imo, because how the States hold their own elections and who qualifies, is up to the States, as long as they are within the bounds of the rules the Constitution and Amendments state about it.

Perhaps he was doing some political pandering to the black constituents? This is the area he is weakest with constituents in polling for him...?
so you use 1% of the people to say 99% of the people should get the same treatment.

and we wonder how things got so screwed up in our country.

There's nothing wrong, in my book, with letting the Son of Sam vote. He's still behind bars where we're safe from him. When people like andaronjim vote, that's just as "dangerous," in my book.

You should read a different book. Mass murderers should not have the same voting rights as law obiding citizens. Your insanity is noted. WTF?!?! Son of Sam?!?!
So if the inmate is not the 'son of sam', should he have the right to vote taken away from him too, in your book?

And what about the people who are in prison or on death row, who DID NOT commit the crime and were falsely accused and convicted? Strip them of their vote too?

Granted, there are emotional reasons for not wanting a "Son of Sam" to be able to vote, but there are consequences that could also occur with "big government' or a crooked government or a crookedly run prison that could also be given with good reason, of why some should be allowed to vote.

Regardless of the issue above, all inmates that step foot out of prison after serving their prescribed time behind bars, and are legally released, should be automatically given their right to vote back, imo. There should be no application to do such required... once they are freed from prison, they should have their voting rights automatically restored, regardless if on probation or not.

This would eliminate any shenanigans by the Political Parties, with ex-felon lists being manipulated to disenfranchise eligible voters.

#1) You assume they are innocent. What proof do you have they are wrongly convicted?
#2) Once released they should be able to vote as they have paid their debt to society IMO but that is NOT what Sanders said.
#3) Fine with me. If they are working and paying taxes, which they do on probation they should vote.

But you're moving the goal posts as you're a typical Leftist and in my book as bad as the Alt Right. Convicted Felons who are in prison should not be allowed to vote and anyone who thinks they should are insane.
Damn! I was going to 'thank' your post or even hit the 'agree' button, until you pulled your ''leftist" bull crud.. :p

I am fine with my state allowing prisoners to vote, and fine with your State not allowing them to vote, while in prison.

It does not bother me that Bernie made a plea for such, his State of Vermont is the "other" US State that did not change their laws to take the vote away from prisoners after the Civil War, so to him, it is probably just 'normal' to think in such a manner.

I don't understand if he was proposing something, like a federal law to do such, which would never pass muster imo, because how the States hold their own elections and who qualifies, is up to the States, as long as they are within the bounds of the rules the Constitution and Amendments state about it.

Perhaps he was doing some political pandering to the black constituents? This is the area he is weakest with constituents in polling for him...?
so you use 1% of the people to say 99% of the people should get the same treatment.

Leave it to you to miss the important part of my post....

Of course. They are evil therefore vote Democrat.

Twitter

Frankly, I am surprised Sander's is not already campaigning in Super Max prisons--LOL

images

and i'm glad you're fine with that. it wasn't my point.

my point was you continue to use a VERY small segment of people who MAY be affected to drive a mass adoption of a policy to address again a VERY MINOR FEW.

in this case as you said - 1%. 1% of the falsely accused people was YOUR battle cry in why we should allow 99% of the rest a right that in my opinion should be forfeited when you go to prison.

you love to build something we should pity and then go for emotional ploys when we don't. that's just you.

don't really give a shit about whether they vote or not - just funny to see the lengths you will go through to prove a point when in the end the only thing you're proving is that you're all over the place using anything and anyone in order to be "right".

dunno. those are better questions for him and maybe he has more ideas around it. but i would ask him those questions and concerns before i said "bernie wants to let son of sam vote!" because that is taking what *is* said and putting "max drama" to it and i think that horse is long since dead and i'm tired of people flogging it and making every statement *extreme* in nature.

somewhere along the way we normalized the extreme. time to put things back where they belong and stop doing that.

bernie wants inmates to vote. can we clarify his position and ask for more details on that before we nail him for the statement?

that said - saying we need to rebuild america from the ground up in 10 years - ok - that's stupid from the word go.

But you are a Leftist are you not? 1%...is fairly nominal amount now it is still wrong and ridiculous but very small mathematically speaking and I am guessing those on death row, the # is even lower than that. There is something inherently wrong with mass murderers voting for our leaders. Call me crazy...If he becomes POTUS he can certainly start signing executive orders. I just want to see debates between him and DJT. Must see TV!

Why in your opinion should a mass murderer have the same say as a law obiding citizen?

But you are a Leftist are you not? 1%...is fairly nominal amount now it is still wrong and ridiculous but very small mathematically speaking and I am guessing those on death row, the # is even lower than that. There is something inherently wrong with mass murderers voting for our leaders. Call me crazy...If he becomes POTUS he can certainly start signing executive orders. I just want to see debates between him and DJT. Must see TV!
and hey - i can PROMISE you if i'm on death row for wrongful conviction, i'm worried mostly about my voting rights.

Bernie believes all citizens should have a right and be encouraged to vote
He says society should not be selecting who are good voters and bad voters

I don’t think prisoners should be allowed to vote. Once they are released they should have their rights returned
Same goes for minors and mentally handicapped
Finally something we agree on. That is... Until you ammend this statement to clarify that you still want the previously convicted stripped of their 2A rights. Ah... Such a fleeting moment...
I support banning someone who has used a gun in a crime from owning a gun for Life. Same for wife beaters
Other felons should get their gun rights once released
What about if the convict stabbed someone to death? Or intentionally beat someone to death? Why should they get their guns back?

I don’t think prisoners should be allowed to vote. Once they are released they should have their rights returned
Finally something we agree on. That is... Until you ammend this statement to clarify that you still want the previously convicted stripped of their 2A rights. Ah... Such a fleeting moment...
I support banning someone who has used a gun in a crime from owning a gun for Life. Same for wife beaters
What about if the convict stabbed someone to death? Or intentionally beat someone to death? Why should they get their guns back?
Why shouldn’t they?

far as i'm concerned, if you go in for a gun crime you can't own them when coming out. need to put some teeth around punishment around gun crimes if we're ever actually going to lower them.

Why in your opinion should a mass murderer have the same say as a law obiding citizen?

Voting is not harmful, it is actually a good attribute to acquire... to aspire to do, imo.

It's not like they are voting for a criminal or criminal legislation... they are voting for people who have legislated the laws that put them in prison, or some day, could release them from prison, like all the drug laws on the books in their State that may have put them there....

in Florida as example, it is a felony to have 3/4's of an ounce of pot on you, while in Massachusetts the Chief, Robert Parrish, was found with 3 lbs in his freezer and got a misdemeanor charge, a while back....

Participation in voting is a good thing, imo and does absolutely no harm to any of us, in allowing prisoners to vote... it's not like they themselves, are changing any of our laws, but those who represent them may, hear their voices.... even in prison. It's not like we take citizenship away from prisoners, when they have committed a theft or have been found with 3/4's of an ounce of pot... that is not part of their sentence... nor does the constitution give direction to take away citizenship, with every little crime committed... in a representative democracy, their representative is their only voice and the constitution does not take that away from them.... and I personally do not think the States should either.

But as mentioned before, I am fine with what the Sates may choose for their own States.

far as i'm concerned, if you go in for a gun crime you can't own them when coming out. need to put some teeth around punishment around gun crimes if we're ever actually going to lower them.
Who’s volunteering to stand sentry to defend this man, his property, and his family upon release?

Your posts are tough to follow. What exactly is your position on this?
It a simple question...

What question?
You said: “It’s about logic and it is not logical for a rapist or an armed robber to have the same voting rights as a tax paying citizen.“

To which I asked: “Are you saying that convicted felons who’ve served their prescribed term of incarceration, should also be relieved of their tax burden?”
FYI, you do not have to be a 'tax paying' citizen, in order to vote, and millions are not tax paying citizens and vote...

like home makers, care takers, college students, senior citizens, the disabled etc....

It a simple question...

What question?
You said: “It’s about logic and it is not logical for a rapist or an armed robber to have the same voting rights as a tax paying citizen.“

To which I asked: “Are you saying that convicted felons who’ve served their prescribed term of incarceration, should also be relieved of their tax burden?”
FYI, you do not have to be a 'tax paying' citizen, in order to vote, and millions are not tax paying citizens and vote...

like home makers, care takers, college students, senior citizens, the disabled etc....
I’m aware. So... No more explanation is required to point out that there is no correlation between voting, and paying taxes. Good! Perhaps people will refrain from trying to draw a correlation between the two, in their future arguments on this topic. But I wouldn’t count on it...

Ice, I'm pretty sure that is already the law, and what some here are arguing is that they should get their guns back. Pretty sure no felon is allowed a gun ever, except in rare instances when the judge will restore rights. In Maine, all drug offenses except simple marijuana possession of a "personal use" amount are felonies. Some of those guys have gotten their rights back so they can hunt. These are offenders who have never done anything violent against anyone.

Voting is not harmful, it is actually a good attribute to acquire... to aspire to do, imo.

It's not like they are voting for a criminal or criminal legislation... they are voting for people who have legislated the laws that put them in prison, or some day, could release them from prison, like all the drug laws on the books in their State that may have put them there....

in Florida as example, it is a felony to have 3/4's of an ounce of pot on you, while in Massachusetts the Chief, Robert Parrish, was found with 3 lbs in his freezer and got a misdemeanor charge, a while back....

Participation in voting is a good thing, imo and does absolutely no harm to any of us, in allowing prisoners to vote... it's not like they themselves, are changing any of our laws, but those who represent them may, hear their voices.... even in prison. It's not like we take citizenship away from prisoners, when they have committed a theft or have been found with 3/4's of an ounce of pot... that is not part of their sentence... nor does the constitution give direction to take away citizenship, with every little crime committed... in a representative democracy, their representative is their only voice and the constitution does not take that away from them.... and I personally do not think the States should either.

But as mentioned before, I am fine with what the Sates may choose for their own States.

You keep clinging on to misdemeanors and it is now legal in MA. So you think a mass murderer should have the same voting power as a law obiding citizen. Yes or no?

It a simple question...

What question?

No you do not, which is something else I don't like but have to live with. Seniors excluded as they have paid taxes.

What a sad commentary on the condition of the United States of America. We're turning into a third world shithole.

Like these countries??

List of Countries That ALLOW Prisoners (Felons) to VOTE While Incarcerated

Austria

Canada

Croatia

Czech Republic

Denmark

Finland

Germany

Iceland

Ireland

Israel

Latvia

Lithuania

Macedonia

Norway

Serbia

Slovenia

Spain

South Africa

Sweden

Switzerland

Ukraine

International Comparison of Felon Voting Laws - Felon Voting - ProCon.org

It a simple question...

What question?

I’m aware. So... No more explanation is required to point out that there is no correlation between voting, and paying taxes. Good! Perhaps people will refrain from trying to draw a correlation between the two, in their future arguments on this topic. But I wouldn’t count on it...

Law obiding citizens should vote. Convicted prisonsers in prisons should not. Pretty simple.

It a simple question...

What question?

Law obiding citizens should vote. Convicted prisonsers in prisons should not. Pretty simple.
While IN prison? I agree. With slight reservation; but I agree...

Forum List

Back