Before WWI, Trench Fever Plagued the Ancient Romans and Napoleonic Soldiers

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
SMARTNEWS Keeping you current
Before WWI, Trench Fever Plagued the Ancient Romans and Napoleonic Soldiers
Long associated with the Great War, the disease actually dates back at least 2,000 years, a new study suggests
Trench warfare
Trench fever came to prominence during World War I, but new research suggests that the disease afflicted people long before the 20th century. (Public domain via Wikimedia Commons)
By Isis Davis-Marks
SMITHSONIANMAG.COM
DECEMBER 4, 2020

Infectious diseases ran rampant during World War I, with ailments ranging from influenza to trench fever, meningitis and pneumonia plaguing soldiers stationed on the frontlines. Scientists once thought that trench fever, a condition transmitted by body lice, originated during the war, but new research published in the journal PLOS One suggests that it actually dates back to ancient times.

“World War I was the perfect storm for a major outbreak of trench fever, but the bacteria was always very much prevalent,” co-author Davide Tanasi, an archaeologist at the University of South Florida, tells Isaac Schultz of Atlas Obscura.
Per the paper, researchers discovered traces of Bartonella quintana, the bacteria that causes trench fever, while examining 400 teeth taken from 145 people buried across nine sites in France, Italy, Ukraine and Russia between the 1st and 19th centuries A.D. Approximately 20 percent of the deceased individuals’ DNA contained the bacteria.
“Once contracted, there are diseases, like trench fever, that can leave traces within your DNA and can integrate your DNA with further information,” says Tanasi in a statement. “This means that once a person dies, even as far back as 2,000 years ago, it is still possible to find traces of the bacterium that infected them.”

So the modern intext link goes to this:
Now that they have it what are they going to do with it and when are they going to do it and how specifically will they be using it. Let's see a time line.

Forum List

Back