Bacon wrapped Turkey?

I'm actually looking forward to my Italian dinner tomorrow night for Christmas Eve more than the turkey that my auntie will more likely make for Christmas. I just adore Italian food! Yum! :tongue: Lasagna with sweet Italian sausage!

Hopefully, my auntie makes a ham too. I think I'd rather have ham than turkey this year.

I'm actually looking forward to my Italian dinner tomorrow night for Christmas Eve more than the turkey that my auntie will more likely make for Christmas. I just adore Italian food! Yum! :tongue: Lasagna with sweet Italian sausage!

Hopefully, my auntie makes a ham too. I think I'd rather have ham than turkey this year.

make sure she wraps the ham in Bacon. I have a question for
bacon users-------has the price gone WAY UP?

I have beef wellington about to come out of the oven if anybody wants a Christmas Eve Snack :banana:

I don't know about "way up" but bacon is pretty expensive. I like the thick cut kind, and that is always a little more too.

bacon-wrapped-turkey.jpg

Anyone gonna give this a go? I'm thinking of trying it this year.
No, but I did make bacon maple cookies....

I don't know about "way up" but bacon is pretty expensive. I like the thick cut kind, and that is always a little more too.
Buy it in the 10 pound case and you save about 2 dollars a pound....

I usually don't think to buy things in bulk like that because I don't have a lot of people to feed, but that's a good idea because I can just split it up and freeze some.

I usually don't think to buy things in bulk like that because I don't have a lot of people to feed, but that's a good idea because I can just split it up and freeze some.
That's what I do..

Pork chops have definitely gone way up in our area. Bacon did not go up a lot in my area, but it seems as if the bigger the pack, the more it went up (like seems like the 12 oz barely moved but the 1ilb pack went up a lot. I bought one of those big boxes of ends & pieces once. They were good for seasoning, but not really for frying and eating. I do have a 2 pound pack of ends & pieces I need to divide up and freeze to use for cooking this winter.

Pork chops have definitely gone way up in our area. Bacon did not go up a lot in my area, but it seems as if the bigger the pack, the more it went up (like seems like the 12 oz barely moved but the 1ilb pack went up a lot. I bought one of those big boxes of ends & pieces once. They were good for seasoning, but not really for frying and eating. I do have a 2 pound pack of ends & pieces I need to divide up and freeze to use for cooking this winter.
I've learned that it's cheaper (per pound) to buy bacon from the deli counter than the packaged meats display.

I've learned that it's cheaper (per pound) to buy bacon from the deli counter than the packaged meats display.

There is only one place in town where I think we could do that and I doubt it would be cheaper considering what their other meats go for. The cheapest place unless you are getting it from someone who slaughtered a pig around here is from a small independent grocery store few location local chain that does sell it in their meat dept package but they are not the ones who actually prepare it. They just weight it out and wrap/weigh/price it.

There is only one place in town where I think we could do that and I doubt it would be cheaper considering what their other meats go for. The cheapest place unless you are getting it from someone who slaughtered a pig around here is from a small independent grocery store few location local chain that does sell it in their meat dept package but they are not the ones who actually prepare it. They just weight it out and wrap/weigh/price it.

Don't you have a BJ's where you live, or a Costco? That's where I would probably go if I wanted to get anything in bulk like that. Of course, you have to have a membership or go with someone who does.

Don't you have a BJ's where you live, or a Costco? That's where I would probably go if I wanted to get anything in bulk like that. Of course, you have to have a membership or go with someone who does.
There's a Samz Klub an hour from here. I do try to shop specials and watch for coupons, but other than that there's no way I'll pay more that $4 for a pound o' porc.

We have a Sam's club but I do not belong to it. I do not buy enough in bulk to justify the cost of membership. My sister is a member and she said she doesn't even really break even on that membership cost and she gets it cheaper through work.

Bacon at less than a penny a pound.

Bullets are not that expensive and feral hogs are "legal quadrupeds" every day of the year. If you don't mind the mess and figuring out how to handle the meat for best results ... Then go shoot your dinner. The younger the hog, the better the taste ... So the price per pound of bacon can get up around 2 cents plus labor.

We have a Sam's club but I do not belong to it. I do not buy enough in bulk to justify the cost of membership. My sister is a member and she said she doesn't even really break even on that membership cost and she gets it cheaper through work.

I have a few friends/family that have memberships, so I kind of cheat and just go with them and they will put my purchase on their cards. :D

I don't go often myself though. I don't often buy things in bulk.

Forum List

Back