Bacon wrapped Turkey?

As with turducken and other mixed meat dishes, I have a problem with it. :) Isn't it then just Spam if you're mixing meats together?

I was just thinking the juice from the bacon mixed with the turkey would be outstanding.

It would be. That is one reason I like crisp fried bacon on cold turkey or chicken sandwiches, with mayo and lettuce. Yum. Bacon adds great flavor to so many things, including basting a roast in the oven, with bacon drippings. Every 20 minutes.

But wouldn't cooking that bacon-wrapped turkey in the oven make for a very greasy, splattering mess??

I also think it would be kind of difficult to cook the bacon just right. It could easily be overcooked and probably even undercooked because turkey is so juicy. I can see either burnt or big soggy slabs of bacon on the turkey if I tried that. :lol:

Wouldn't the bacon drippings in the pan be pure heaven tho? thats what I was thinking about.

Just cook bacon and save those dripping for white gravy and biscuits.

As with turducken and other mixed meat dishes, I have a problem with it. :) Isn't it then just Spam if you're mixing meats together?

I was just thinking the juice from the bacon mixed with the turkey would be outstanding.

It would be. That is one reason I like crisp fried bacon on cold
turkey or chicken sandwiches, with mayo and lettuce. Yum. Bacon adds great flavor to so many things, including basting a roast in the oven, with bacon drippings. Every 20 minutes.

But wouldn't cooking that bacon-wrapped turkey in the oven make for a very greasy, splattering mess??

I also think it would be kind of difficult to cook the bacon just right. It could easily be overcooked and probably even undercooked because turkey is so juicy. I can see either burnt or big soggy slabs of bacon on the turkey if I tried that. :lol:

Wouldn't the bacon drippings in the pan be pure heaven tho? thats what I was thinking about.

I think that someone came up with bacon wrap to maximize
MOIST TURKEY--------do it the kosher way----brine for a day----in a big container------remove-----dry the birdie up and rub
him/her with ordinary cooking oil------some lemon is nice----
or whatever you wish to sprinkle on him/her. ---for middle east a bit of cumin and cinnamon----(very little) etc etc----
but that stuff can be in the brining iiquid----GOT THAT GRAVITY?????? lay off the bacon ----it will make a MESS of your oven (besides offending your muslim neighbors). For cooking oil ---TRUST THE OLIVE------
but canola oil is-------affordable. Some people use butter-----
it would be halal but not kosher

It would be. That is one reason I like crisp fried bacon on cold turkey or chicken sandwiches, with mayo and lettuce. Yum. Bacon adds great flavor to so many things, including basting a roast in the oven, with bacon drippings. Every 20 minutes.

Thats a good idea!

turkey or chicken sandwiches, with mayo and lettuce. Yum. Bacon adds great flavor to so many things, including basting a roast in the oven, with bacon drippings. Every 20 minutes.

MOIST TURKEY--------do it the kosher way----brine for a day----in a big container------remove-----dry the birdie up and rub
or whatever you wish to sprinkle on him/her. ---for middle east a bit of cumin and cinnamon----(very little) etc etc----
but that stuff can be in the brining iiquid----GOT THAT GRAVITY?????? lay off the bacon ----it will make a MESS of your oven (besides offending your muslim neighbors). For cooking oil ---TRUST THE OLIVE------

Rosie you intrigued me with the cumin and cinnamon on the turkey, please continue!

Well I'm gonna do the champagne Turkey this year, this is my first time doing a turkey myself so I want to do something simpler before I move on to the bacon wrapped stuff lol.

Yeah, could be risky. Lol!

Really? :omg:

I mean the bacon wrapped turkey. For some reason, I just don't see it coming out looking as nice as the picture. :D

You could be right, and I'm not bold enough to try it on my first go.

Well I'm gonna do the champagne Turkey this year, this is my first time doing a turkey myself so I want to do something simpler before I move on to the bacon wrapped stuff lol.

I mean the bacon wrapped turkey. For some reason, I just don't see it coming out looking as nice as the picture. :D

They fix up pictures of food just like they fix up pictures of hot chicks in bikinis--------probably required a CRIP UP in a really hot oven long after the birdie had cooked thru

You could be right, and I'm not bold enough to try it on my first go.

fret not-----BRINING is the way to go-----However----you need a cold place to keep Ms or Mr gobble. I have a roof-----
maybe a fire escape, back yard. You cannot leave the
water boarded bird in a hot kitchen all nite.

So next year we all agree to deep fry our bird for thanksgiving and see which one of us the Allstate commercial guy is talking about as the ones who burns their garage down.

ANYTHING wrapped in bacon is good.

Not really, but I am going to do a bacon-oyster chowder for dinner tonight to test drive it for Christmas. I am combining a couple different recipes so I may have to fine tune it before I let my extended family give it a try.

Don't forget to stuff a pound or two into the turkey's cavity.
Probably should chop it up first.

I like bacon too, but geez! That's sounds like a bit of overkill with the bacon IMO. :D Bacon on the turkey and in the turkey? Bacon overdose.

Hell it would be cheaper just to cook a ham instead :2up:
Oooh bacon-wrapped ham!

I thought about you this morning. I did a bacon wrapped pork chop for my dog to get rid of the leftover chop and bacon before they went bad.

Don't forget to stuff a pound or two into the turkey's cavity.
Probably should chop it up first.

I like bacon too, but geez! That's sounds like a bit of overkill with the bacon IMO. :D Bacon on the turkey and in the turkey? Bacon overdose.

Hell it would be cheaper just to cook a ham instead :2up:
Oooh bacon-wrapped ham!

I thought about you this morning. I did a bacon wrapped pork chop for my dog to get rid of the leftover chop and bacon before they went bad.

Was it stuffed with bacon too? :razz:

Forum List

Back