Bacon wrapped Turkey?

Oh sure, I could do it if I wanted to. The problem is that it is something I would definitely have to get used to. :) I think I would find it really horrifying at first, to say the least, if only because I've never done anything like that before.

Well ... I agree that it is the least fun part of hunting and providing for yourself ... But there is a certain comfort in taking a firearm and putting meat on the table.

I have a tendency to tell myself a little saying when the processing part comes around. Elbow deep in the nasty ... I remind myself that if everything fell apart ... I know my way around a firearm and can feed myself.

Another thing I would have a difficult time with would be raising an animal to slaughter it. I don't think I could play a role in raising an animal without becoming attached to it in some way. Maybe I'm just a pussy, I don't know. :lol:

I'm sure if I was starving to death, instinct would take over and I would just kill and eat the animal, but if not starving I don't know that I could do it.

Oh sure, I could do it if I wanted to. The problem is that it is something I would definitely have to get used to. :) I think I would find it really horrifying at first, to say the least, if only because I've never done anything like that before.

Well ... I agree that it is the least fun part of hunting and providing for yourself ... But there is a certain comfort in taking a firearm and putting meat on the table.

I have a tendency to tell myself a little saying when the processing part comes around. Elbow deep in the nasty ... I remind myself that if everything fell apart ... I know my way around a firearm and can feed myself.

That's a very good point, in that if you ever had to because of no other options, you have the knowledge to do that. I was raised on grocery store food, so for me, the closest I've come to gutting an animal is taking the packaged guts out of a chicken or turkey! Lol! And I sometimes even find that a little gross.

That's a very good point, in that if you ever had to because of no other options, you have the knowledge to do that. I was raised on grocery store food, so for me, the closest I've come to gutting an animal is taking the packaged guts out of a chicken or turkey! Lol! And I sometimes even find that a little gross.

Let me know if you want to become more familiar with the other parts of hunting and providing. I have an extra pair of "big girl pants" laying around if you get the urge.

Don't bring the rabbit though ... Might end up in the stew pot ... :eek:

I'm not a hunter, but even if I was, we don't have very many feral hogs running around here in Massachusetts! Also, I've heard all about what's involved in gutting the animal. All set with that!!! :eek-52: I'll just buy my bacon already cut up and packaged.

I do support hunting though, just personally I don't know if I could stomach the gutting/butchering part. Lol.

gutting a larger animal is not hard. You hang it so gravity does most of the work as you cut. Butchering something like a deer is a PITA. A lot of people will just take their preferred cuts and then either give the rest away or take it to a country store that will grind it all into hamburger when they get around to it.

It's not because it's difficult or not why I wouldn't want to do it; it's because it's disgusting!! :puke:

I don't like seeing their tongue hanging out of their mouths. Beyond avoiding looking at their head, it isn't as bad as people imagine. When people are processing pork, it is pretty vile, so I do not like being around that because the scald them suckers and I do not like the smell of boiling meat.

Well, my cousin is a big fan of bow hunting and he has described to me the process of gutting the animal. :D It's disgusting, and it smells bad too.

my buddies tell me it does not smell as bad as my farts --LOL

You should cook them dinner using the dutch oven method

I grew up hunting and even I find chicken a little gross to work with.

It is something that is waning. I hunt some because it was a family hobby thing from the beginning that we got from our dad for whom it was more a way to stretch a dollar which he got from his dad because it was a common for people to do which he got from his dad because it was necessary for survival to hunt/slaughter livestock.

It is something that is waning. I hunt some because it was a family hobby thing from the beginning that we got from our dad for whom it was more a way to stretch a dollar which he got from his dad because it was a common for people to do which he got from his dad because it was necessary for survival to hunt/slaughter livestock.

My cousin hunts, so when I get venison it's already cleaned and cut into pieces. :D I only get some once in a while when he's feeling generous with the family though. Lol.

Bacon wrapped, bacon wrapped, bacon wrapped, bacon wrapped.... TURKEY!

54077-get-in-my-belly-gif-fat-bastar-hjhk.gif

My cousin hunts, so when I get venison it's already cleaned and cut into pieces. :D I only get some once in a while when he's feeling generous with the family though. Lol.

Typical liberal behavior. Sit back and let other people do all the work to feed you. :poke:

Typical liberal behavior. Sit back and let other people do all the work to feed you. :poke:

:lol: Yup, what can I say? You guys are good at that kind of disgusting stuff, killing spiders, gutting animals, that sort of thing. I would get sick. I just know it. Sometimes garbage makes me gag.

:lol: Yup, what can I say? You guys are good at that kind of disgusting stuff, killing spiders, gutting animals, that sort of thing. I would get sick. I just know it. Sometimes garbage makes me gag.

My garbage gets pretty funky over the course of a week. When it is warm, the cans get full of maggots even though they have no holes and attached lids. The curse of being a culinary student I guess. Too much practicing at home. Even the feral cats are like, "For the love of God, man, meat again. Would it kill you to make us a vegetable once in awhile?"

My garbage gets pretty funky over the course of a week. When it is warm, the cans get full of maggots even though they have no holes and attached lids. The curse of being a culinary student I guess. Too much practicing at home. Even the feral cats are like, "For the love of God, man, meat again. Would it kill you to make us a vegetable once in awhile?"

You can keep your garbage in a bag in the freezer, and that helps. Thankfully, I have a garbage disposal, so most of my garbage goes down there. :)

You could also keep a plastic can with a lid outside your door and put your trash in that.

You can keep your garbage in a bag in the freezer, and that helps. Thankfully, I have a garbage disposal, so most of my garbage goes down there. :)

You could also keep a plastic can with a lid outside your door and put your trash in that.

I have two 96 gallon plastic cans with lids outside my door and it doesn't help ;)

Freezing trash--now that is a new one on me. I will once in a blue moon throw bad meat in the freezer to make it closer to trash day, but I will usually bury it instead.

I have two 96 gallon plastic cans with lids outside my door and it doesn't help ;)

Freezing trash--now that is a new one on me. I will once in a blue moon throw bad meat in the freezer to make it closer to trash day, but I will usually bury it instead.

Yes, if I have any kind of meat that has a bone in it that can't go down the disposal, I will just put it in a freezer bag and freeze it until trash day. :)

Here's the beauty of this shit.

The bacon is baked. Along with the turkey. The pork slices render their juices and imbue themselves among the turkey.

Slathering, imbuing roasting and coasting... bacon.

Forum List

Back