Bacon wrapped Turkey?

Bacon at less than a penny a pound.

Bullets are not that expensive and feral hogs are "legal quadrupeds" every day of the year. If you don't mind the mess and figuring out how to handle the meat for best results ... Then go shoot your dinner. The younger the hog, the better the taste ... So the price per pound of bacon can get up around 2 cents plus labor.

I'm not a hunter, but even if I was, we don't have very many feral hogs running around here in Massachusetts! Also, I've heard all about what's involved in gutting the animal. All set with that!!! :eek-52: I'll just buy my bacon already cut up and packaged.

I do support hunting though, just personally I don't know if I could stomach the gutting/butchering part. Lol.

Pork chops have definitely gone way up in our area. Bacon did not go up a lot in my area, but it seems as if the bigger the pack, the more it went up (like seems like the 12 oz barely moved but the 1ilb pack went up a lot. I bought one of those big boxes of ends & pieces once. They were good for seasoning, but not really for frying and eating. I do have a 2 pound pack of ends & pieces I need to divide up and freeze to use for cooking this winter.
I've learned that it's cheaper (per pound) to buy bacon from the deli counter than the packaged meats display.

There is only one place in town where I think we could do that and I doubt it would be cheaper considering what their other meats go for. The cheapest place unless you are getting it from someone who slaughtered a pig around here is from a small independent grocery store few location local chain that does sell it in their meat dept package but they are not the ones who actually prepare it. They just weight it out and wrap/weigh/price it.

Don't you have a BJ's where you live, or a Costco? That's where I would probably go if I wanted to get anything in bulk like that. Of course, you have to have a membership or go with someone who does.

We have a Sam's club but I do not belong to it. I do not buy enough in bulk to justify the cost of membership. My sister is a member and she said she doesn't even really break even on that membership cost and she gets it cheaper through work.

I have a few friends/family that have memberships, so I kind of cheat and just go with them and they will put my purchase on their cards. :D

I don't go often myself though. I don't often buy things in bulk.
I was on my way into Sam's Club when I realized that I didn't have my card on me. I pointed to a lady with kids and said I'm with them. :lol:

Bullets are not that expensive and feral hogs are "legal quadrupeds" every day of the year. If you don't mind the mess and figuring out how to handle the meat for best results ... Then go shoot your dinner. The younger the hog, the better the taste ... So the price per pound of bacon can get up around 2 cents plus labor.

I'm not a hunter, but even if I was, we don't have very many feral hogs running around here in Massachusetts! Also, I've heard all about what's involved in gutting the animal. All set with that!!! :eek-52: I'll just buy my bacon already cut up and packaged.

I do support hunting though, just personally I don't know if I could stomach the gutting/butchering part. Lol.

gutting a larger animal is not hard. You hang it so gravity does most of the work as you cut. Butchering something like a deer is a PITA. A lot of people will just take their preferred cuts and then either give the rest away or take it to a country store that will grind it all into hamburger when they get around to it.

gutting a larger animal is not hard. You hang it so gravity does most of the work as you cut. Butchering something like a deer is a PITA. A lot of people will just take their preferred cuts and then either give the rest away or take it to a country store that will grind it all into hamburger when they get around to it.

It's not because it's difficult or not why I wouldn't want to do it; it's because it's disgusting!! :puke:

It's not because it's difficult or not why I wouldn't want to do it; it's because it's disgusting!! :puke:

I don't like seeing their tongue hanging out of their mouths. Beyond avoiding looking at their head, it isn't as bad as people imagine. When people are processing pork, it is pretty vile, so I do not like being around that because the scald them suckers and I do not like the smell of boiling meat.

I don't like seeing their tongue hanging out of their mouths. Beyond avoiding looking at their head, it isn't as bad as people imagine. When people are processing pork, it is pretty vile, so I do not like being around that because the scald them suckers and I do not like the smell of boiling meat.

Well, my cousin is a big fan of bow hunting and he has described to me the process of gutting the animal. :D It's disgusting, and it smells bad too.

Well, my cousin is a big fan of bow hunting and he has described to me the process of gutting the animal. :D It's disgusting, and it smells bad too.

That is because he is killing it with a bow instead of a rifle. I don't shoot deer because I am not good enough of a shot to drop one on the move in a single shot, but my dad and some of my brothers are and I have helped dress a many of them. Unless you kill them on that first shot immediately, their hormones flood their body which can give them an odd taste. If you gut shoot one or pierce the innards when you are gutting it, you might as well bury it where it fell. Some people also believe that the have to remove the glands on the back legs, and when they do they contaminate their hands and contaminate the meat with the nasty scent.

That is because he is killing it with a bow instead of a rifle. I don't shoot deer because I am not good enough of a shot to drop one on the move in a single shot, but my dad and some of my brothers are and I have helped dress a many of them. Unless you kill them on that first shot immediately, their hormones flood their body which can give them an odd taste. If you gut shoot one or pierce the innards when you are gutting it, you might as well bury it where it fell. Some people also believe that the have to remove the glands on the back legs, and when they do they contaminate their hands and contaminate the meat with the nasty scent.

Well, the meat is fine because I've had some. I just don't think, with my weak stomach, that I could tolerate gutting anything. I think it's disgusting.

Well, the meat is fine because I've had some. I just don't think, with my weak stomach, that I could tolerate gutting anything. I think it's disgusting.

The only bad smell I associate with it is the blood smell can get overwhelming after awhile, but not because it is bad so much as it is so iron rich smelling for lack of a better word.

The only bad smell I associate with it is the blood smell can get overwhelming after awhile, but not because it is bad so much as it is so iron rich smelling for lack of a better word.

It's not just the smell. It's the whole idea! :ack-1:

I don't know too many folks that get elbow deep in guts and gizzards that will tell you they love the smell. I think the point is that you can fill a stand alone freezer for less than $20 if you put forth the effort.

I don't know too many folks that get elbow deep in guts and gizzards that will tell you they love the smell. I think the point is that you can fill a stand alone freezer for less than $20 if you put forth the effort.

Meh, I would have someone do that for me. That's what men are for. :D To do all the disgusting work. Lol.

you could if you had too

besides it is not all that bad if you do it correctly

my buddies tell me it does not smell as bad as my farts --LOL

you could if you had too

besides it is not all that bad if you do it correctly

Well, you see, I wasn't raised in that way. It makes a bit of difference I think. :D I've never ever gutted an animal, and I really don't want to.

I would just say, hey, I killed this animal, would you mind . . . ? :D There will be meat!! Lol!

my buddies tell me it does not smell as bad as my farts --LOL

:lol:

Meh, I would have someone do that for me. That's what men are for. :D To do all the disgusting work. Lol.

Pfft ... I have always valued taking care of myself over waiting for a man to screw things up ...:oops:

Oh sure, I could do it if I wanted to. The problem is that it is something I would definitely have to get used to. :) I think I would find it really horrifying at first, to say the least, if only because I've never done anything like that before.

Forum List

Back