Babes in Bagdad (comedy)

lg325

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2020
Florida's Past
Paulette Goddard, and Gypsy Rose Lee star in this comedy about women in a harem striking for women's rights. I am glad someone saved it the film quality is not so good but watchable and funny.

Paulette Goddard, and Gypsy Rose Lee star in this comedy about women in a harem striking for women's rights. I am glad someone saved it the film quality is not so good but watchable and funny.

This movie is certainly of interest to film historians as an early film striking a blow for equal rights for women. It has a few funny scenes and it is the first and only movie pairing Paulette Goddard and Gypsy Rose Lee. Both these actresses being over 40 were on the downside of their movie career.

There are more problems with this movie than just poor film quality. The cinematography is at best poor. One might think the camera man was having a cup of coffee during most of the scenes. The script was poorly written and sets were just as bad.

The movie goes in many different directions with subplots and sub-subplots involving hidden identities, mistaken identities, dishonest tax collectors, the Kadi being drugged and dumped outside of his palace dressed in rags, statements on women’s rights and a couple of dance numbers that look as if they were improvised rather than choreographed.

Watching this movie is best done with a couple of aspirin rather than a bag of popcorn.

Last edited:
It is a good idea for a movie I would like to see it colored with modern actors better script and more polished.

Forum List

Back