Austin company looking to dock paychecks for those receiving stimulus checks

I guess you think the corporations who pay no taxes are entitled to their bailouts.

I've asked you, and other far-left Progressives this question many times and never receive a cogent answer. Go figure!

Specifically, what is the origin of each dollar a corporation pays in taxes?

I couldn't get past the lie in the first sentence. I stopped reading there. Once I read a lie I stop reading. There's no reason to waste my time reading more, I no longer believe one word of the rest that's posted.

The only way a person will get one of those checks is if they filed income taxes for income years 2018 and 2019. If you didn't file taxes those years you won't get anything.

If when you filed in those years and didn't end up owing any money that means the person lives below the poverty line even though they work. No one should be poverty when they are working. Employers have been allowed to pay slave wages to workers while those at the top and stockholders walk away with millions.

Those working poor still need to pay rent, buy food, clothes etc. They still have children to take are of too. If they don't get those checks they go on welfare, get housing assistance, food stamps and medicaid.

Heaven forbid that someone below the poverty line gets some help through this hard time. I guess you believe all the help should have gone to those who don't need it and shouldn't be getting it. By the way, those people are getting billions. Not just a lousy 1200 bucks once.

You do realize that 1200 payment is a one time thing don't you?

Are you saying that it is a lie that 44% of workers pay no Federal Income Tax.

No one should live in poverty if they are working? Why?
Rules-S.jpg

Educating yourself to the contents of the stimulus would help you to not look so ignorant. Here's a place to start.

I hope more companies start doing this. It disgusts me to see so many people getting free money that they didn't earn.

Source: KXAN-TV, Austin, TX

AUSTIN (KXAN) – Mar 27, 2020 / 07:07 PM CDT While Congress was working out the details on a bill that would provide Americans with stimulus checks, at least one Austin company was looking for ways to save payroll.

“The form says they are preemptively deducting funds from our paychecks. That number is based on what they’re anticipating the government relief fund to be,” a worker for the company told KXAN. The worker asked not to be identified in this investigation so as not to impact his company’s ability to continue doing business. The worker asked not to be identified in the report, but provided KXAN a copy of the paycheck reduction letter his company emailed out on March 25, 2020.

The worker said his company emailed a form titled “Employee Acknowledgement of ‘Government Assistance’ Pay Reduction” to some staffers on Wednesday. “In response to the economic crisis that is affecting all of us due to the coronavirus pandemic…(company name redacted) are hereby enacting the Employee Emergency Compensation Fund,” the letter stated.

The agreement would put workers under a “temporary compensation reduction that is in line with the assistance that it receives from the federal government related to the COVID-19 pandemic.” By signing the agreement, the company’s employees would have their paychecks between April 6 and April 20 cut by 100% of any money received under the stimulus bill. The company would also take half of the $500 stipend allotted for dependents under the bill.

Read more: Austin company looking to dock paychecks for those receiving stimulus checks
Is the company gonna pocket the money or give it back?

Sounds like an organization looking to cash in. I would quit.

Its funny that during a health situation some of you are still stuck on "people gotta be working" and welfare. That supercedes safety. That's messed up.

There is a cost/benefit analysis for almost everything. Yes, when we start to go back to work, there will be people who die. That is the way things go.

Every year about 30 infants drown in those empty five-gallon plastic buckets in which paint, pickles and other commodities are sold. So the cost of the convenience of those five-gallon buckets is the lives of 30 infants. How many would be too many? I don't know.

There are numbers for everything. They have a figure as to how many more lives will be lost for every 200# of weight is cut from a certain car. That's an allowable cost for the increase in the MPG.

Last edited:
This is going to be a clusterfuck

people who were not working did not lose a job and are entitled to nothing

those with a job should get the regular unemployment insurance they were entitled to and nothing more
I'm not so sure. Working or not, I don't know anyone who hasn't been hurt big by this. This company has a legal obligation to PAY its employees for the hours they worked. The fact that the fed is giving people a tiny stimulus check to help out is irrelevant to them. When banks and auto companies got a HUGE stimulus check from Obama, I didn't hear about anyone stopping using their banks or not buying their cars.
$6 trillion is not a tiny stimulus

and yes I know know all of it is going directly to workers
I thought it was 2.2 trillion dollars. Not that much bigger than Obama's two QEs. But that is going out to 250 million people not just a handful of big corporations. Still, I agree, I don't think we can afford it. It would be different if Obama hadn't spent his 8 trillion dollars.

This is going to be a clusterfuck

people who were not working did not lose a job and are entitled to nothing

those with a job should get the regular unemployment insurance they were entitled to and nothing more
I'm not so sure. Working or not, I don't know anyone who hasn't been hurt big by this. This company has a legal obligation to PAY its employees for the hours they worked. The fact that the fed is giving people a tiny stimulus check to help out is irrelevant to them. When banks and auto companies got a HUGE stimulus check from Obama, I didn't hear about anyone stopping using their banks or not buying their cars.
$6 trillion is not a tiny stimulus

and yes I know know all of it is going directly to workers
I thought it was 2.2 trillion dollars. Not that much bigger than Obama's two QEs. But that is going out to 250 million people not just a handful of big corporations. Still, I agree, I don't think we can afford it. It would be different if Obama hadn't spent his 8 trillion dollars.
correct

this is the 3rd emergency spending bill which is $2.2 trillion

and the one sending helicopter money directly to the public

I couldn't get past the lie in the first sentence. I stopped reading there. Once I read a lie I stop reading. There's no reason to waste my time reading more, I no longer believe one word of the rest that's posted.

The only way a person will get one of those checks is if they filed income taxes for income years 2018 and 2019. If you didn't file taxes those years you won't get anything.

If when you filed in those years and didn't end up owing any money that means the person lives below the poverty line even though they work. No one should be poverty when they are working. Employers have been allowed to pay slave wages to workers while those at the top and stockholders walk away with millions.

Those working poor still need to pay rent, buy food, clothes etc. They still have children to take are of too. If they don't get those checks they go on welfare, get housing assistance, food stamps and medicaid.

Heaven forbid that someone below the poverty line gets some help through this hard time. I guess you believe all the help should have gone to those who don't need it and shouldn't be getting it. By the way, those people are getting billions. Not just a lousy 1200 bucks once.

You do realize that 1200 payment is a one time thing don't you?

Are you saying that it is a lie that 44% of workers pay no Federal Income Tax.

No one should live in poverty if they are working? Why?
Rules-S.jpg

Educating yourself to the contents of the stimulus would help you to not look so ignorant. Here's a place to start.

Your list forgot one important element: Stay off of drugs. I've seen so many of our customers who find workers, but can't hire them because they can't pass the drug test. Instead of giving up the pot, they resort to working lower pay jobs, and if you don't get ahead while young, it makes it ten times more difficult when you get older.

Our solvency will be fine. Our POTUS was instrumental in this and he has zero problem signing the bill. You want people to pay bills and rent and eat then send the $$$. This may very well not be the end of $$$ given out. The virus is just getting going.

We have one of the worst problems in my state, and already they are seeing signs of flat-lining.

What choice did Trump have but to sign a bill that the Democrats stalled with stuffed pork for over a week? People need money, and they need it now. I don't agree with it either. I don't think unemployment recipients should get an extra $600.00 a week on top of their states unemployment. I don't think that everybody should get a stimulus check; only those who were affected by this pandemic.

Everyone was effected by this pandemic.
If they are not essential they are forced to not work, and if they are essential, they are being badly over worked.
And the stimulus is not $1200 per week, but a one shot payment only.
There could be more, but right now it only looks like everyone will only get one check.

I was not talking about the stimulus check, I was talking about the federal addition to unemployment checks. If you collect unemployment from your state, the feds are going to add on an additional $600.00 a week on top of that. You can collect that for up to four months.

Well sending people back to work too soon means they may get sick. I do not condone forcing people to work as the number of cases is increasing. Lives are more important than debt. And if Trump thought this would as bad he would not have pushed for it. If it takes 4 months then pay the people for four months.

At this point, people getting sick are the least of our concerns. The lives of no one is worth the destroying the economy. We can easily handle and accept a few million people dying from this, but there is no way our economy will survive this 2 trillion dollar handout. I am all for helping out the institutions that are suffering. As a result of people refusing to work because they selfishly believe their health and well-being should take precedence over the health of the economy, these people will not be receiving a paycheck. Which in turns means they will not pay their rent and other bills. Companies are going to lose a lot of money writing this debt off and going to court for evictions and collections. It's not their burden to bear, and the US government should back them up. If they fail then everyone fails. This money we're handing out to people should be going to these companies, or better yet to build the wall that would have prevented this from getting here in the first place.

There needs to be a way for localities to opt-out their residents. I know if I could I would opt-out my entire city from getting this. I already have started building a website that will be used to compel and shame people into donating their stolen stimulus check to a church or to a group like the NRA.

That is not true.
Bush added $5 trillion to the national debt, and it was not a total disaster.
And this is to prevent evictions, deaths, companies going under, etc.
We can not survive as a country without the bailouts.
All the government is doing is organizing the loan collectively.
This is not wasteful spending, but a good investment that will save lots of companies, homes, and money in the long run.
With interest rates being near 0%, there is no reason not to borrow this money.

There is no reason not to borrow this money if we could pay it back. But we won't be able to, and that's the problem. Yes, it helps a lot of people, but it also brings us closer to financial collapse which is something we can't avoid. It may not happen in our lifetime, but it's inevitable given the path we're on.

Well you are free to do whatever you want with your stimulus check. I don't believe the average family struggling to barely hang on is going to worry about some company executives.

Agreed. The company doesn't own the employees. It should not be privy to the personal incomes of its employees outside of their payroll.

Our solvency will be fine. Our POTUS was instrumental in this and he has zero problem signing the bill. You want people to pay bills and rent and eat then send the $$$. This may very well not be the end of $$$ given out. The virus is just getting going.

We have one of the worst problems in my state, and already they are seeing signs of flat-lining.

What choice did Trump have but to sign a bill that the Democrats stalled with stuffed pork for over a week? People need money, and they need it now. I don't agree with it either. I don't think unemployment recipients should get an extra $600.00 a week on top of their states unemployment. I don't think that everybody should get a stimulus check; only those who were affected by this pandemic.

Everyone was effected by this pandemic.
If they are not essential they are forced to not work, and if they are essential, they are being badly over worked.
And the stimulus is not $1200 per week, but a one shot payment only.
There could be more, but right now it only looks like everyone will only get one check.

I was not talking about the stimulus check, I was talking about the federal addition to unemployment checks. If you collect unemployment from your state, the feds are going to add on an additional $600.00 a week on top of that. You can collect that for up to four months.

Up to $600 no one is going to make more than they did at work.

Forum List

Back