AUKUS (general thoughts/discussion) and Virginia class submarine vs Seawolf

AUKUSisCool

Rookie
Mar 26, 2023
Hello,

(If you want to skip to my questions, then go to the dots ......... . The first few paragraphs are some personal thoughts and opinions on AUKUS)

I am Australian, and since the announcement that Australia will likely be getting some Virginia submarines, I have become a little obsessed with them.

I've long thought that US military technology, specifically the subs, were amazing and have been generally envious of such things. Although hadn't really put all that much thought into it because they weren't operated by Australia. So it was always a case of "watching from the sidelines".

However, now that Australia has the opportunity to be apart of operating and maintaining these machines (and also work with the US and UK to create a brand new SSN), I have strangely (and unexpectedly) felt quite a large amount of satisfaction and fulfillment. As though Australia is at last taking steps towards a technological and military path it should have taken decades ago.

Sidenote: It's my hope that these subs open the floodgates for nuclear power stations (we let the US test nukes here, we export massive amounts of uranium...but nooooo, god forbid we put a nuclear reactor anywhere on the most deserted country on Earth). But anyway...

The 2 questions summed up (the full length questions down below):

- Basically the question boils down to, do you (as an American) feel ok about selling your most advanced weapons to another country (specifically Australia)?

- Is the Virginia or Seawolf class the better overall submarine?

I'd like to know if the Seawolf class submarine is actually the most lethal ship to ship type vessel in the world? I have seen multiple times that the Virginia class is the most advanced. Yet that the Seawolf has a lot more weaponry and is a more capable killer. So I mean which is it? Haha. Does it come down to how "advanced" is defined I suppose? As in, if advanced means the ability to destroy, then Seawolf wins. But if advanced means reconnaissance/stealth, then Virginia wins.

-------

I am curious what people in the US think of AUKUS? Are they ok with giving this technology to Australia? Keeping in mind that Australia is paying hand over arse for these mothers. The US is getting a significant cash influx (from Australia) into it's shipyards for this deal, so as to ramp up the Virginia production speed, which was cut down on account of the Columbia class prioritisation as SSBN's are the primary nuclear deterrent.

So in my opinion the only valid criticism (from a US point of view) that can be made should be a purely moral once concerning the transfer of such precious intellectual and powerful defence property. Because from a financial and production value point of view, the US should be doing well on the deal. Assuming the funds are spent wisely.

(From an Australian point of view, we have about 380 billion points of concern to consider about if the whole deal was worth it haha, but that's another thread. And if you're not aware, no, that $380B doesn't only count towards the US subs. Otherwise that'd be the worst deal in history)

Basically the question boils down to, do you (as an American) feel ok about selling your most advanced weapons to another country?

At a guess, I'd say that Americans would be fine with it because it is Australia. Same as how I imagine it'd be ok giving Canada the same deal, and how they already have an agreement with the UK. These 4 countries seem like almost the same country with a few small details (and one or two big ones).

The 4 horsemen of the apocalypse!!

Oh, it's the 4 anglosphere countries hehe.

I, for one, am extremely excited about AUKUS and hope you Americans are as well. It'll be fun to finally be apart of cutting edge warships and nuclear technology.

Maybe one day we'll make nukes together as well and you can come down here and we watch them explode in the desert!

You will get the bargain bin version. ;)

R.cb5f13b9c82bfc3a7a9ba5f21cb67517

🤣 Haha Perhaps. But we will make it work! Like our Collins class vs your Los Angeles in the early 2000's wargames 😉😏
I know a guy from Oz in the USW community. Great guy. The Collins boats got a bad rep in the media I thought. The US and Australia have had very close cooperation in USW for a long time. The Collins and LA classes share technology already.

I have no problem with any ABCA country getting Virginia class subs, but I hope the Australian public is prepared for the cost. This will be a huge portion of your defense budget going forward. The crew compliment alone is more than double a Collins class.

There will be some squeeze-out or a large increase in defense spending, you can't have it both ways. ;)

Unrelated- back when you guys bought the wedgetails, I was sitting in a little bar right across from the military ramp at Boeing field. I had stopped to check out the jets, and snap a few pics through the fence.

In came 3 RAAF pilots and a Raytheon engineer who were doing the training and test flights. We ended up BS'ing away the whole evening as I picked their brains for tidbits, lol. The pilots were great guys too- they had been there a while and had actually bought houses in Seattle!

Part of this is the globalism that we will all be part of. The other part is the rise of China and the ability to build military hardware far cheaper. Ostensibly they are part of globalism but will tell them to take a hike as pure power becomes their oyster. Japan and Korea are wild cards in the rise of the East as they can join China. With other nations having capabilities to be great.

Forum List

Back