Atheist Church opens in Chapel Hill, NC

The concept of an atheist church is as pretentious as Pastafarianism.
It is a registered religion in the UK, and a way to make fun of religion in general. You can't prove/disprove a spaghetti god any more than you can a Christian one.

Why is it that it is okay for atheist to make fun of all people that believe in God, yet they cry when they are made fun of for not believing in a God.

Your whole thread is hypocritical.
Because it is just as legal in America and most of the world for the religious to make fun of atheists. It is surely not hypocritical to believe in the first amendment or freedom of speech for all.

If you want to know why people/groups should have a right to offend, then it comes down to the question, 'what isn't offensive to someone?' The moment the state censor comes to tea, free speech dies, as everything is offensive to at least someone.

I don't make fun of atheist, I don't care what you do or don't believe. You throwing in the first amendment, has nothing to do with you being hypocritical, the amendment is a freedom. Hypocrisy is an action. No one asked to censor anyone, my post certainly didn't.

My stand is you expect Christians to accept or not lump atheist into one category, however it is okay to compare a Christian's God to spaghetti. Your lack of respect, begets lack of respect.

I believe in a God, that doesn't make you or I greater or less than the other. It is a difference in opinion. Atheists can go to a church or whatever floats their boat. I don't care, do it, enjoy it, embrace it. Just respect others and others beliefs.

You have a right to offend, but if you do, as many atheists on this board have done, then expect people to form opinions about you.
Hypocrisy doesn't mean what you think it means. Explain how it is hypocritical to start a thread, with something positive - when the media is mud slinging all Atheists, as if they are boogeymen or communist insurgents. I never said someone should go out and start a local chapter of the Dawkins club, so it isn't even advocacy.

I make fun of other atheists, just as much as I make fun of religious folks and any kind of belief or lack thereof. I am equal opportunity when it comes to making fun of things or people. It is called being human, which means finding humor in all things.

What you don't seem to get, is when the media mud sling one group whoever that group is, more often than not I am going to find some absurdity or stupidity in it.

You ask for me to respect you on basis of an idea, a belief, or what you may or may not have done. I don't ask that people respect me without knowing me, and I treat others as I would myself. Nothing hypocritical in that.

Respect has to earned, but respect isn't always worth the price of admission, especially if it means denying who you are or belittling yourself.

I believe in the free market, and I can see the good things in a lot of things (including a belief in a religion or holding none). I like how you end your reply though, with a threat - as if you head a lynch mob.

I am not here to be popular, or to be a collectivist. So if you hate me on some concept of honor or 'respect', then it is rather silly. Especially since I have defended Muslims and Christians on this board as much as I have atheists (and I disagree with atheists just as often).

I think it is sad that you can't see humor in anything to do with religion, just like Iranian theocrats, and demand that everyone respects what you believe. Forming opinions goes both ways you know.

It is a registered religion in the UK, and a way to make fun of religion in general. You can't prove/disprove a spaghetti god any more than you can a Christian one.

So? That's beside the point I was making. An atheist church is not only pretentious, it's ironic to the enth degree. If you can't see that, I can't help you.

To be perfectly honest, I am not religious in the least bit, but my beliefs are my own and I don't make fun of people for theirs. I do not agree with religious doctrines in general, but I respect one's decision to believe it. What they believe does not affect me so essentially, I could care less. These morons creating churches and religions with the express intent of mocking the religious are beyond childish however. Most atheists I know tend to be the bigger person in these situations, but shit like this just gives them a bad rap.
I thought the Islamic center in New York city was a great idea, even as Christians were showing their intolerance and disrespect towards Muslims.

I don't see an issue with an Atheist church any more than I see with any other institution setting up.

Would I join an Atheist Church? Probably not, as I don't believe in collectivism or institutions. I would prefer the unharmonious discord to a well tuned melody, as it makes me stand out as an individual.

If these people want to attend some 'atheist church', I might find it a bit silly. But I would say good luck to them, if they enjoy it and have a good time.

Why is it that it is okay for atheist to make fun of all people that believe in God, yet they cry when they are made fun of for not believing in a God.

Because it is just as legal in America and most of the world for the religious to make fun of atheists. It is surely not hypocritical to believe in the first amendment or freedom of speech for all.

If you want to know why people/groups should have a right to offend, then it comes down to the question, 'what isn't offensive to someone?' The moment the state censor comes to tea, free speech dies, as everything is offensive to at least someone.

I don't make fun of atheist, I don't care what you do or don't believe. You throwing in the first amendment, has nothing to do with you being hypocritical, the amendment is a freedom. Hypocrisy is an action. No one asked to censor anyone, my post certainly didn't.

My stand is you expect Christians to accept or not lump atheist into one category, however it is okay to compare a Christian's God to spaghetti. Your lack of respect, begets lack of respect.

I believe in a God, that doesn't make you or I greater or less than the other. It is a difference in opinion. Atheists can go to a church or whatever floats their boat. I don't care, do it, enjoy it, embrace it. Just respect others and others beliefs.

You have a right to offend, but if you do, as many atheists on this board have done, then expect people to form opinions about you.
Hypocrisy doesn't mean what you think it means. Explain how it is hypocritical to start a thread, with something positive - when the media is mud slinging all Atheists, as if they are boogeymen or communist insurgents. I never said someone should go out and start a local chapter of the Dawkins club, so it isn't even advocacy.

I make fun of other atheists, just as much as I make fun of religious folks and any kind of belief or lack thereof. I am equal opportunity when it comes to making fun of things or people. It is called being human, which means finding humor in all things.

What you don't seem to get, is when the media mud sling one group whoever that group is, more often than not I am going to find some absurdity or stupidity in it.

You ask for me to respect you on basis of an idea, a belief, or what you may or may not have done. I don't ask that people respect me without knowing me, and I treat others as I would myself. Nothing hypocritical in that.

Respect has to earned, but respect isn't always worth the price of admission, especially if it means denying who you are or belittling yourself.

I believe in the free market, and I can see the good things in a lot of things (including a belief in a religion or holding none). I like how you end your reply though, with a threat - as if you head a lynch mob.

I am not here to be popular, or to be a collectivist. So if you hate me on some concept of honor or 'respect', then it is rather silly. Especially since I have defended Muslims and Christians on this board as much as I have atheists (and I disagree with atheists just as often).

I think it is sad that you can't see humor in anything to do with religion, just like Iranian theocrats, and demand that everyone respects what you believe. Forming opinions goes both ways you know.

I don't see the media lumping anymore or any less atheists or Christians. Muslims seem to get lumped in much more. In my reply there is no threat, do you not form opinions about others by what they post? Good, bad or indifferent.

I never asked you to respect me, or my opinions, I don't need your respect. My life will not change by a faceless, unknown person on the internet.

I'm here just for entertainment. I don't take you or others seriously. I also never said the word hate in regards to you, you are the first person to bring up hate. What's up with that?

I hope that the atheist church filed for tax exemption. It is about time that the government gave us the same recognition that they give all the superstition groups....

The latest location of the fast growing godless congregation launched earlier this month in Chapel Hill, North Carolina.

Founded in January of 2013, Sunday Assembly was created by two British comedians, Sanderson Jones and Pippa Evans. The group was launched for secular humanists, skeptics and atheists who “want a sense of community without dealing with any of the God stuff.” By September of 2014, 35 towns had launched their own groups, encouraging their members to gather for fun, food, music and a sense of community, while across Europe, over 70 assemblies were started in the first year.

“The central idea we have to spread is that we have only one life, which means that life has to be lived to the fullest,” Mano Singham said to a congregation in Ohio. The co-founder of Sunday Assembly, Sanderson Jones, explained the group’s vision, motto and goals.

The Sunday Assembly is a godless congregation that celebrates life. Our motto: Live better, help often and wonder more. Our mission: to help everyone find and fulfill their full potential. Our vision: A Sunday Assembly in every town, city or village that wants one.”

The London headquarters for the Atheist Church had projections that by the end of 2014, Sunday Assemblies would be found all around the world, including South Africa, Germany, Brazil, Belgium, New Zealand, The Netherlands, Singapore, Hong Kong and Canada.
Sunday Assembly dubbed Atheist Church opens in Chapel Hill NC - World Religion News
The 10 Commandments of the Atheist Church
1. 100% celebration of life. We are born from nothing and go to nothing. Let’s enjoy it together.

2. No doctrines. We have no set texts, so that we can make use of wisdom from all sources.

3. No deities. We don’t do the supernatural, but we also won’t tell you you’re wrong if you do.

4. Radically inclusive. Everyone is welcome, regardless of their beliefs. This is a place of love that is open and accepting.

5. Free to attend, not for profit and volunteer run. We ask for donations to cover our costs and support our community work. However, it is not required that you contribute.

6. A community mission. Through our Action Heroes (you), we will be a force for good.

7. Independent We do not accept sponsorship, nor do we promote outside businesses, organizations or services.

8. Here to stay. With your involvement, the Sunday Assembly will make the world a better place.

9. We won’t tell you how to live, but will try to help you to do it as well as you can.

10. And remember the point of the Sunday Assembly is a celebration of the one life we know we have.
In other words, one guy, an entire religious group does not make; any more than a suicidal bomber makes Islam or abortion clinic bomber makes Christianity.
Good on them. I'm also a card carrying secular humanist.

jesusq.jpg

athiestsmy3.jpg

Atheism....do what you want to who you want....no one going to punish you in the end......I can see the appeal.....and the problem........just ask those 100 million people who got in the way of atheists in the 20th century....but since no one is going to hold them to account...I guess that's just another persons "thing"....

I don't see the media lumping anymore or any less atheists or Christians. Muslims seem to get lumped in much more. In my reply there is no threat, do you not form opinions about others by what they post? Good, bad or indifferent.

I never asked you to respect me, or my opinions, I don't need your respect. My life will not change by a faceless, unknown person on the internet.

I'm here just for entertainment. I don't take you or others seriously. I also never said the word hate in regards to you, you are the first person to bring up hate. What's up with that?
Lol. You implied it, with all this BS about 'respect' and then a threat about running me off the forum - since you can't run me out of town on the internet.

I don't form opinions of people based on what I view on the forum, as this is basically an anonymous community.

Truth be told, for you to draw major offense at a spaghetti monster reference makes no good sense. Why do you think Atheists make the reference, it isn't just for a laugh, though quite a few people do find it funny?

It is because religious groups claim that their god cannot be disproven on the basis of empirical evidence, and further because each religion claims it follows the one true god.

The flying spaghetti monster analogy, much like the invisible pink unicorn analogy implies that there is no way for religious people to disprove something as silly as either. Unless you make empirical claims or put forward arguments that disprove the plausibility of a god.

That you draw offense at a simplication of a major theological/philosophical argument, doesn't make sense to me, but nor have your other posts so far.

Atheism....do what you want to who you want....no one going to punish you in the end......I can see the appeal.....and the problem........just ask those 100 million people who got in the way of atheists in the 20th century....but since no one is going to hold them to account...I guess that's just another persons "thing"....
Yet a declared Atheist state is America's largest trading partner and a major source of international investment. Just because Stalin and Mao were atheists, doesn't mean every atheist is dead set on genocide or mass murder.

Here's their patron saint:

stephen-craig-hicks.jpg

Craig Stephen Hicks

I hope this guy rots in jail or worse, I hope he gets the chair but before that I hope he is mounted repeatedly by the biggest, meanest fucker in prison so many times he has to get a colostomy bag.

He walked up to their apartment of this couple, went inside when they let him in and then pulled out a gun and shot them execution style.

The families have a right to be absolutey disgusted with the uber-stupid Chapel Hill police for calling it a parking spot dispute.

Yet a declared Atheist state is America's largest trading partner and a major source of international investment. Just because Stalin and Mao were atheists, doesn't mean every atheist is dead set on genocide or mass murder.

But the tradition is there.......and mao is still admired in a lot of circles......

The latest location of the fast growing godless congregation launched earlier this month in Chapel Hill, North Carolina.

Founded in January of 2013, Sunday Assembly was created by two British comedians, Sanderson Jones and Pippa Evans. The group was launched for secular humanists, skeptics and atheists who “want a sense of community without dealing with any of the God stuff.” By September of 2014, 35 towns had launched their own groups, encouraging their members to gather for fun, food, music and a sense of community, while across Europe, over 70 assemblies were started in the first year.

“The central idea we have to spread is that we have only one life, which means that life has to be lived to the fullest,” Mano Singham said to a congregation in Ohio. The co-founder of Sunday Assembly, Sanderson Jones, explained the group’s vision, motto and goals.

The Sunday Assembly is a godless congregation that celebrates life. Our motto: Live better, help often and wonder more. Our mission: to help everyone find and fulfill their full potential. Our vision: A Sunday Assembly in every town, city or village that wants one.”

The London headquarters for the Atheist Church had projections that by the end of 2014, Sunday Assemblies would be found all around the world, including South Africa, Germany, Brazil, Belgium, New Zealand, The Netherlands, Singapore, Hong Kong and Canada.
Sunday Assembly dubbed Atheist Church opens in Chapel Hill NC - World Religion News
1. 100% celebration of life. We are born from nothing and go to nothing. Let’s enjoy it together.

2. No doctrines. We have no set texts, so that we can make use of wisdom from all sources.

3. No deities. We don’t do the supernatural, but we also won’t tell you you’re wrong if you do.

4. Radically inclusive. Everyone is welcome, regardless of their beliefs. This is a place of love that is open and accepting.

5. Free to attend, not for profit and volunteer run. We ask for donations to cover our costs and support our community work. However, it is not required that you contribute.

6. A community mission. Through our Action Heroes (you), we will be a force for good.

7. Independent We do not accept sponsorship, nor do we promote outside businesses, organizations or services.

8. Here to stay. With your involvement, the Sunday Assembly will make the world a better place.

9. We won’t tell you how to live, but will try to help you to do it as well as you can.

10. And remember the point of the Sunday Assembly is a celebration of the one life we know we have.
In other words, one guy, an entire religious group does not make; any more than a suicidal bomber makes Islam or abortion clinic bomber makes Christianity.

Me and my buddies will go if they open one in Michigan and we will try to invite people who want to know the truth.

I hope that the atheist church filed for tax exemption. It is about time that the government gave us the same recognition that they give all the superstition groups....

Great point! I've been an atheist since I was a teenager. My late husband was, too. And when he found himself in the proverbial foxhole he did not find Christ or God or any other make-believe bullshit religious action figures. He died like a man, not a wimp.

stephen-craig-hicks.jpg

Craig Stephen Hicks

I hope this guy rots in jail or worse, I hope he gets the chair but before that I hope he is mounted repeatedly by the biggest, meanest fucker in prison so many times he has to get a colostomy bag.

He walked up to their apartment of this couple, went inside when they let him in and then pulled out a gun and shot them execution style.

The families have a right to be absolutey disgusted with the uber-stupid Chapel Hill police for calling it a parking spot dispute.
They don't want retaliation and vigilanties

Me and my buddies will go if they open one in Michigan and we will try to invite people who want to know the truth.

Careful...atheists have a habit of being extremely violent.....especially toward religious people like Jews and Muslims.....and Christians haven't faired well with atheists either......

But the tradition is there.......and mao is still admired in a lot of circles......
What circles?

Careful...atheists have a habit of being extremely violent.....especially toward religious people like Jews and Muslims.....and Christians haven't faired well with atheists either......
We do?

Sounds great. I may be moving to Austin, Texas. I wonder if they have one there? Years ago when I lived in Austin, Madelyn Murray O'Hair was still alive. We went to her Atheist Center and browsed her library. Awesome!

For anyone who doesn't remember her, she pushed SCOTUS to get prayer out of schools! 1962 or 1963, somewhere in there.

stephen-craig-hicks.jpg

Craig Stephen Hicks

The police don't want to admit Islamophobia is real. This case is no different than the Islamophobic guy that shot up those kids in Norway. Awful, and unacceptable, and a hate crime (if not terrorism).

Forum List

Back