Atheism's big LIE

Tell me do you think that not allowing every person in the hall during a public meeting to lead a prayer or a mantra or a rain dance while everyone else is waiting for the meeting to actually begin taking away freedom from all those people?
I have been to tons of public meetings. Some open the meeting with a prayer. Some do not. Never--not once--have I seen or heard of someone interrupting the business part of the meeting once the agenda is introduced--immediately after the prayer. Had it been, someone would have noted that person was "out of order".

Guess what, the exact same procedure is followed in Bible Study or a Parish Meeting. It opens with a prayer, but never have I been present--or heard of--someone (not even the priest) suddenly go off agenda and start a prayer. Even at church meetings the prayer doesn't last longer than a minute.

When have you ever been delayed any longer than 25 seconds.

I am through with this. Keep knocking away at freedoms, You are not alone.
So then every person in attendance must be given the opportunity to lead a prayer or a mantra chant or a rain dance before the meeting starts or that would be a denial of freedom to all those people.

Unlike you I believe it's not my place to tell other people what to think.
That's a convenient excuse. No one is telling you to tell others what to think. I am telling you that your silence of intolerance is your endorsement of intolerance.

Be that as it may, I'll continue linking you to intolerant posts so you can't say you never saw any as you have repeatedly claimed.

In my experience religious people can also be pretty intolerant.

And really if one wants to establish a mindset of tolerance doesn't one also have to tolerate the intolerance of others?
Sure. Some religious people can be intolerant.

I disagree that if one wants to establish a mindset of tolerance that one has to tolerate the intolerance of others.

You cannot be tolerant and intolerant at the same time.
Would a tolerant person tolerate the rape of a woman?

I'm guessing that's a no. So apparently one can.
A crime against a person is not the same as an opinion regarding a religion or the thoughts another may have on a given subject.

Another person's opinion does you no physical harm whatsoever.

So you might want to try an apples to apples comparison rather than an apples to orangutans comparison.
When it comes to defining tolerance it most certainly is an apples to apples comparison. You don't like the comparison because it reveals that not everything should be tolerated. So getting back to the point of the conversation should religious intolerance be tolerated. I say no.

There is a vast and irreconcilable difference between a person's opinion and actual bodily harm committed during a crime.

Another person voicing his opinion about your chosen religion is not a crime and does you no bodily harm and in no way in any situation real or imagined equates to rape.
You are rationalizing your incongruity.
Hardly.

There is no analogy where a person's poor opinion of your religion and rape can ever be compared.

If you think that a person criticizing your religion does equal rape then maybe you actually need to be raped so you can realize how utterly stupid you are being.
I think you like to pick and choose when it comes to tolerance. Indiscriminate indiscriminateness is not tolerance, but even then you don't really adhere to that. You are selective in your discrimination.

Everyone is selective in their discrimination. But hey if you think being tolerant of a differing opinion means that you also have to tolerate people committing acts of rape then you go ahead and be the most intolerant and idiotic asshole on the planet
Not you. You don't believe in being intolerant. Expect of course for prayer or religion. :rolleyes:

The Stoics are especially known for teaching that "virtue is the only good" for human beings. Being intolerant of things one should not be intolerant of is not virtuous. It is the exact opposite of virtue. The Stoics also held that certain destructive emotions resulted from errors of judgment, and they believed people should aim to maintain a will (called prohairesis) that is "in accordance with nature". Because of this, the Stoics thought the best indication of an individual's philosophy was not what a person said but how a person behaved. To live a good life, one had to understand the rules of the natural order since they thought everything was rooted in nature.

Your virtues may be vices to someone else. And if what a person says is really not important then what do you care so much if a person has a negative opinion of your religion that you cannot tolerate it?

The Stoics also say that the only thing a person can control is his reactions to the events in the world. So maybe you want to try to do that.
Did you get the belief that someone else's virtues may be someone else's vice from stoicism :rolleyes:

The Stoics elaborated a detailed taxonomy of virtue, dividing virtue into four main types: wisdom, justice, courage, and moderation. Wisdom is subdivided into good sense, good calculation, quick-wittedness, discretion, and resourcefulness. Justice is subdivided into piety, honesty, equity, and fair dealing.​
No unlike you I can actually think for myself.

I do not adhere 100% to any philosophy but instead I use what I find relevant to me.
You are no stoic that much is for certain.
I never said I was.

I said my personal philosophy is a blend of Buddhism, Stoicism and portions of several other schools of thought
I'm not seeing it.

If a Muslim, Buddhist, Jew, JW, LDS, Confuciust, Taoist, Atheist, Agnostic, Ethicist, Wiccan, Hinduist, Baptist, Catholic, etc, said let's pray to God, the Creator, the Head Honcho, etc it wouldn't bother me in the least. I'd happily join in and relish being part of something pure and beautiful. What could possibly be wrong with asking God for guidance?

If a Muslim, Buddhist, Jew, JW, LDS, Confuciust, Taoist, Atheist, Agnostic, Ethicist, Wiccan, Hinduist, Baptist, Catholic, etc, said let's pray to God, the Creator, the Head Honcho, etc it wouldn't bother me in the least. I'd happily join in and relish being part of something pure and beautiful. What could possibly be wrong with asking God for guidance?
They may be on a "What if..." What if every religion wanted their own thirty second prayer before a meeting started? Oh, dear. What if everyone at the meeting came down with Legionnaire's disease? What if an airplane crashes into the meeting hall? What if....ad nauseum. Most prayers these days are interfaith, multi-denominational.

Another proposal, what about "Allah Akbar" was supposed to horrify me. It means "God is Great" which I very much agree with. I personally find in blasphemous when it is used to call for death to anyone, but as a centering prayer before a meeting, great.

"Namaste" is appropriate as well. "Namaste" from the group leaders puts things in a humble perspective (I bow to you).

is it not proof enough how the two pleading their case the most in this thread are also the two who are the most deceitful and dishonest in their deliberations to convey what is obviously an error in judgement ... they unwittingly deny as their motivation. to convince others what they themselves know to not be true.

That's a convenient excuse. No one is telling you to tell others what to think. I am telling you that your silence of intolerance is your endorsement of intolerance.

Be that as it may, I'll continue linking you to intolerant posts so you can't say you never saw any as you have repeatedly claimed.

And really if one wants to establish a mindset of tolerance doesn't one also have to tolerate the intolerance of others?

I disagree that if one wants to establish a mindset of tolerance that one has to tolerate the intolerance of others.

A crime against a person is not the same as an opinion regarding a religion or the thoughts another may have on a given subject.

So you might want to try an apples to apples comparison rather than an apples to orangutans comparison.
When it comes to defining tolerance it most certainly is an apples to apples comparison. You don't like the comparison because it reveals that not everything should be tolerated. So getting back to the point of the conversation should religious intolerance be tolerated. I say no.

There is a vast and irreconcilable difference between a person's opinion and actual bodily harm committed during a crime.

Another person voicing his opinion about your chosen religion is not a crime and does you no bodily harm and in no way in any situation real or imagined equates to rape.
Hardly.

There is no analogy where a person's poor opinion of your religion and rape can ever be compared.

If you think that a person criticizing your religion does equal rape then maybe you actually need to be raped so you can realize how utterly stupid you are being.
I think you like to pick and choose when it comes to tolerance. Indiscriminate indiscriminateness is not tolerance, but even then you don't really adhere to that. You are selective in your discrimination.

Everyone is selective in their discrimination. But hey if you think being tolerant of a differing opinion means that you also have to tolerate people committing acts of rape then you go ahead and be the most intolerant and idiotic asshole on the planet
Not you. You don't believe in being intolerant. Expect of course for prayer or religion. :rolleyes:

I don't care about your religion but religion doesn't belong in government.

But if you can't understand that a person's critical opinion of your religion isn't equal to that person raping you then you are severely mentally impaired

The Stoics are especially known for teaching that "virtue is the only good" for human beings. Being intolerant of things one should not be intolerant of is not virtuous. It is the exact opposite of virtue. The Stoics also held that certain destructive emotions resulted from errors of judgment, and they believed people should aim to maintain a will (called prohairesis) that is "in accordance with nature". Because of this, the Stoics thought the best indication of an individual's philosophy was not what a person said but how a person behaved. To live a good life, one had to understand the rules of the natural order since they thought everything was rooted in nature.

Your virtues may be vices to someone else. And if what a person says is really not important then what do you care so much if a person has a negative opinion of your religion that you cannot tolerate it?

The Stoics also say that the only thing a person can control is his reactions to the events in the world. So maybe you want to try to do that.
Did you get the belief that someone else's virtues may be someone else's vice from stoicism :rolleyes:

The Stoics elaborated a detailed taxonomy of virtue, dividing virtue into four main types: wisdom, justice, courage, and moderation. Wisdom is subdivided into good sense, good calculation, quick-wittedness, discretion, and resourcefulness. Justice is subdivided into piety, honesty, equity, and fair dealing.​

I do not adhere 100% to any philosophy but instead I use what I find relevant to me.
I never said I was.

I said my personal philosophy is a blend of Buddhism, Stoicism and portions of several other schools of thought
I'm not seeing it.
Not my problem

OK so you think every public meeting should open with a religious rite from every single religion before the actual business of that meeting commences?

If you need a god to guide you as to whether or not a proposed building project will be in compliance with zoning laws then you have some serious issues

Last edited:
They may be on a "What if..." What if every religion wanted their own thirty second prayer before a meeting started? Oh, dear. What if everyone at the meeting came down with Legionnaire's disease? What if an airplane crashes into the meeting hall? What if....ad nauseum. Most prayers these days are interfaith, multi-denominational.

Another proposal, what about "Allah Akbar" was supposed to horrify me. It means "God is Great" which I very much agree with. I personally find in blasphemous when it is used to call for death to anyone, but as a centering prayer before a meeting, great.

"Namaste" is appropriate as well. "Namaste" from the group leaders puts things in a humble perspective (I bow to you).
There is nothing to indicate that prayer before business meetings does anything to promote the business of doing business. Hold a prayer gathering before or after the meeting if you prefer. Some of us attend these meetings after classes and still have studies to attend to. Hold prayer gatherings on your time, not mine.

There is nothing to indicate that prayer before business meetings does anything to promote the business of doing business. Hold a prayer gathering before or after the meeting if you prefer. Some of us attend these meetings after classes and still have studies to attend to. Hold prayer gatherings on your time, not mine.

Exactly

When he brandished a Bible before photographers, Trump knew exactly what message he was sending: Christianity is under siege and the president is the defender of the faith. Never mind the fact that peaceful protesters, clergy among them, were driven from the area minutes before with tear gas to make way for the photoshoot.

The narrative of Christianity under attack is a familiar one. Just a few weeks ago, Trump declared that houses of worship should open amid the pandemic on the grounds of religious liberty — despite the public health risk. But it turns out, the myth of Christian persecution can be traced far further back than the Culture Wars.

In fact, according to Candida Moss, Christian historians coined the idea that to be persecuted was to be righteous in the 4th Century and they exaggerated claims that Christians were persecuted in the first place.

25 seconds. Imagine 25 seconds causing so much unhappiness in some while bringing peace to others.

Hardly.

I don't care about your religion but religion doesn't belong in government.

But if you can't understand that a person's critical opinion of your religion isn't equal to that person raping you then you are severely mentally impaired
I hope you don't mind if I disagree.

OK so you think every public meeting should open with a religious rite from every single religion before the actual business of that meeting commences?

If you need a god to guide you as to whether or not a proposed building project will be in compliance with zoning laws then you have some serious issues
No. Just the ones where someone is moved to pray for guidance and blessings.

I'm OK with you thinking I have serious problems. :)

I never said I was.

I'm not seeing it.
Not my problem
Only time will tell.

25 seconds. Imagine 25 seconds causing so much unhappiness in some while bringing peace to others.
she insinuates the victim of rape and the rapist should both acquiesce to the rapists agenda ... the christian bible.

deceitfully ignoring the obvious.

Forum List

Back