Asking for a raise

presonorek

Gold Member
Jun 7, 2015
Alabama
Any tips on how to make this request for a raise better? or how to make it worse? Here is the letter: From: vasuderatorrent
To: Big Company
Head Honcho
Subj: Pay increase
Date: June 9, 2015

Dear Sir,

It is my firm belief that you would benefit greatly by increasing my pay to $10.00 per hour to take effect on or before July 18, 2015.

•I have a keen interest in math that has been proven by my ability to obtain an Associate’s Degree in Accounting. This makes me the ideal candidate for problem solving which is necessary for the front desk staff.

•I have a great interest in working at this hotel. That has been proven by my attendance, positive attitude and my longevity at Big Company. After almost 4 years at Big Company I have become accustomed to our culture and methods of operation. This experience is extremely valuable to you, your management team, your employees and the guests at your hotel.

•I am very sensitive to the market situations of the moment and willing to obtain the highest price for rooms under ideal conditions. I am also aware of soft market conditions and enjoy working with customers to obtain a competitive price under those conditions. This is not something that I have learned. This is how I am naturally inclined to respond. I take pride in the fact that I excel at making your top line flourish.

•I am in a strong financial position. I currently have a lucrative part time job. My wife has a strong income as well. There are options available to me that were not present when I requested a pay increase back in December 2013.

•My honesty and my flexibility alone is sufficient justification to request a pay increase. These are not characteristics that can be easily identified through the hiring process. Honesty and flexibility are assets that must be proven. My time here has offered me the chance to display my impeccable character.

It is my firm belief that you would greatly benefit by increasing my pay to $10.00 an hour to take effect on or before July 18, 2015.

Please consider my value to your company when making your decision. It is my desire to continue working for you for many years to come.

Thank you,

vasuderatorrent

It is my firm belief that you would benefit greatly by increasing my pay to $10.00 per hour to take effect on or before July 18, 2015.
Demanding. Not good.

Too lengthy. Too many pats on your own back. You can be replaced, ya know. If it were me, I would just ask to have a one on one meeting, say you worked hard and plan to stay a long time at the business, and wish for them to CONSIDER giving you a small raise if possible. Then drop it.

Demanding. Not good.

Too lengthy. Too many pats on your own back. You can be replaced, ya know. If it were me, I would just ask to have a one on one meeting, say you worked hard and plan to stay a long time at the business, and wish for them to CONSIDER giving you a small raise if possible. Then drop it.

Thanks for the advice. I already did the one on one thing back in December 2013. I asked for $9.15 an hour but the boss only gave me $0.25 which brought me up to $8.25. That was worse than a no. I felt like my boss was smacking extremely hard in the face and telling me to never do that again. I don't think these people respond to polite requests. All they can do is say no. It is still as fun as heck to screw around with them.

Yes. I know that I can be replaced but that would require them firing me first. Asking for a raise isn't grounds for dismissal in North Carolina.

Demanding. Not good.

Thanks for the advice. I already did the one on one thing back in December 2013. I asked for $9.15 an hour but the boss only gave me $0.25 which brought me up to $8.25. That was worse than a no. I felt like my boss was smacking extremely hard in the face and telling me to never do that again. I don't think these people respond to polite requests. All they can do is say no. It is still as fun as heck to screw around with them.

Yes. I know that I can be replaced but that would require them firing me first. Asking for a raise isn't grounds for dismissal in North Carolina.
lol, sonny, nobody needs an excuse for dismissal. All they gotta say is they are downsizing. Or you aren't performing the way they want you to. How old are you, may I ask? And what is your job? 10 bucks an hour is piddly.

Any tips on how to make this request for a raise better? or how to make it worse? Here is the letter: From: vasuderatorrent
To: Big Company
Head Honcho
Subj: Pay increase
Date: June 9, 2015

Dear Sir,

•I have a keen interest in math that has been proven by my ability to obtain an Associate’s Degree in Accounting. This makes me the ideal candidate for problem solving which is necessary for the front desk staff.

•I have a great interest in working at this hotel. That has been proven by my attendance, positive attitude and my longevity at Big Company. After almost 4 years at Big Company I have become accustomed to our culture and methods of operation. This experience is extremely valuable to you, your management team, your employees and the guests at your hotel.

•I am very sensitive to the market situations of the moment and willing to obtain the highest price for rooms under ideal conditions. I am also aware of soft market conditions and enjoy working with customers to obtain a competitive price under those conditions. This is not something that I have learned. This is how I am naturally inclined to respond. I take pride in the fact that I excel at making your top line flourish.

•I am in a strong financial position. I currently have a lucrative part time job. My wife has a strong income as well. There are options available to me that were not present when I requested a pay increase back in December 2013.

•My honesty and my flexibility alone is sufficient justification to request a pay increase. These are not characteristics that can be easily identified through the hiring process. Honesty and flexibility are assets that must be proven. My time here has offered me the chance to display my impeccable character.

It is my firm belief that you would greatly benefit by increasing my pay to $10.00 an hour to take effect on or before July 18, 2015.

Please consider my value to your company when making your decision. It is my desire to continue working for you for many years to come.

Thank you,

vasuderatorrent
Don't elaborate about a part-time job and don't pointedly ask for a raise. Bosses don't want to hear those things. He is interested in his company and would rather hear about your willingness to learn more in order to benefit his company. Tell him you would like to train for a management position and work your way to a higher level. If you are sincere and exhibit a desire to help make the company more successful then raises would come more automatic. As Gracie says, don't toot your own horn. Show them what you are capable of doing. And good luck!

You have already told them how valuable you ate to them at your current rate of pay. Tell them how you be increase your value to them once you get the raise. They need to justify the raise.

Making less than $10 per hour, what exactly is your job title?

Please give us more information on what exactly your position and field is.

I can give no advice because my boss is a pushover. I just ask for a raise, and he gives it to me. Little does he know I'm not even worth minimum wage.

lol, sonny, nobody needs an excuse for dismissal. All they gotta say is they are downsizing. Or you aren't performing the way they want you to. How old are you, may I ask? And what is your job? 10 bucks an hour is piddly.

Fair enough. You are correct. Employees can be fired without reason.

I am 36 years old and I am a front desk clerk at a hotel. If $10 an hour is piddly, does that mean he will give it to me without any problems?

How much money did you make when you were 36? I made over $27,000 back in 2008 but that was a long time ago. That year ended one month into Obama's presidency. Things have changed a little since 2008.

Last edited:

Guest Services or Front Desk. Some people may even call it a receptionist. I'm the dude at the front desk whenever you check in at the hotel.

I can give no advice because my boss is a pushover. I just ask for a raise, and he gives it to me. Little does he know I'm not even worth minimum wage.

Minimum wage in most states is $7.25 per hour. That equates to $15,080 per year if you work 40 hours per week.

Fair enough. You are correct. Employees can be fired without reason.

I am 36 years old and I am a front desk clerk at a hotel. If $10 an hour is piddly, does that mean he will give it to me without any problems?

How much money did you make when you were 36? I made over $27,000 back in 2008 but that was a long time ago. That year ended one month into Obama's presidency. Things have changed a little since 2008.
You should be paid more as front desk clerk. Been there, done that. Do you also have to serve as host or hostess to happy hour in the lobby with cheeses, wines, crackers, etc for the guests? Are you on the pc booking rooms or are you AT the desk greeting guests? Hell, 10+ years ago I was getting 10 bucks per hour, then got a raise to 12 bucks per hour because I made up some pamphlets for each guest checking in where to go, what to do, hidden spots, what tourist traps to avoid,etc. Owners thought that a great idea and incorporated it in to their other motels.
Anyway....I would quietly go above and beyond, skip the manager and go directly to the company with ideas you think can help ALL of their properties. The manager might be who is putting a whoa on you rising due to you being competition.

Guest Services or Front Desk. Some people may even call it a receptionist. I'm the dude at the front desk whenever you check in at the hotel.
You are not being paid enough.
Ok...I'm gonna step in yer shoes for a minute. Check out what needs improving, then do it. BUT KEEP TRACK OF WHAT YOU DO AND WHEN, in a notebook. That nobody knows about. Think of ideas that will make them more money...like...do they keep a log of items furnished in the rooms? Motel maids and staff tend to pocket that shit. Tiny bottles of shampoo, soaps, conditioners, etc.
Do they have a nice logo?
Do they have you send an email or a letter thanking guests for their stay, and tell of upcoming events they may want to book for in advance?
Are you willing to be fill-in for another property they own if someone comes down sick?
Are you willing to work overtime if someone is ill?
Shit like that.

Is this the field you want to stay in? What you really want?

(I'm asking you this straightforwardly, because it's important to you.)

(I'm asking you this straightforwardly, because it's important to you.)

Are you the famous Wake from Debate Politics that I never met? CaptainCourtesy is still obsessed with you. I joined about 6 months after you was banned. I was accused of being you on multiple occasions. If I am you then this is a very unique warp zone in the universe that we are experiencing at the moment. I can't be you because I am talking to you. This is so bizarre.

Well that was unexpected.

That staff over there isn't exactly honest.

Their crap is so old I forgot most of it, thankfully.

You are not being paid enough.
Ok...I'm gonna step in yer shoes for a minute. Check out what needs improving, then do it. BUT KEEP TRACK OF WHAT YOU DO AND WHEN, in a notebook. That nobody knows about. Think of ideas that will make them more money...like...do they keep a log of items furnished in the rooms? Motel maids and staff tend to pocket that shit. Tiny bottles of shampoo, soaps, conditioners, etc.
Do they have a nice logo?
Do they have you send an email or a letter thanking guests for their stay, and tell of upcoming events they may want to book for in advance?
Are you willing to be fill-in for another property they own if someone comes down sick?
Are you willing to work overtime if someone is ill?
Shit like that.

That sounds like a lot of work in order to give my boss extra toilet paper. I like what you are saying but I'm pretty sure you wouldn't waste your time doing that at this hotel. It's almost like the owner's goal is to lose as much money as possible so that he can get a tax deduction. However, if that is his goal then paying me more would maximizes his losses.

Well that was unexpected.

That staff over there isn't exactly honest.

Their crap is so old I forgot most of it.

They love hating you. I got banned in February but they were still accusing every new person of being you. I am one of your fans. I have read lots of your posts to see what all of the hub bub was all about.

It does appear that we have similar posting styles and a similar view of the world.

Forum List

Back