Artful Homemade Quilts Have A Way

Qults have a way of hugging their recipients with the maker's love, whether they are done by little hand stitches or stitched on a home sewing machine. I'm starting this thread so you can enjoy sharing your quilts and see some of mine, some I found on ebay, etc. If you have a traditional pieced quilt and want to know the name of the pattern, post a picture here, and I'll use all my resources to tell you the name of the block or blocks that were used to make your quilt. Just say the word. Here's a Postage Stamp Quilt I made for a beloved friend's grandson:

IM000548.jpg
Hand craffted items always looks good.

Hand craffted items always looks good.
Thanks, InableShop. Welcome to USMB, hope you enjoy the boards! I used to be Freedombecki, but took some time off when my husband died, and when I got back, I had forgotten my password. I lost my photographer--he made all my stuff look good, and when I take pictures, it's tragic what I do to simple pictures. :muahaha:

Oh, and now I just go to "images" and find quilts I'd like to make someday... and other people's quilts are so outstanding. :thup:

I think it would be fun to make a quilt with a yellow background after viewing this one:
1668254561163.png

So I went and found some more quilts with yellow backgrounds:
1668254651728.png
1668254841849.png
1668254996903.png
1668255075437.png
1668255144578.png

It's the sunshine that makes me love yellow, and the above quilters' works are a terrific celebration of the sun, imho.​

Thanks, InableShop. Welcome to USMB, hope you enjoy the boards! I used to be Freedombecki, but took some time off when my husband died, and when I got back, I had forgotten my password. I lost my photographer--he made all my stuff look good, and when I take pictures, it's tragic what I do to simple pictures. :muahaha:

Oh, and now I just go to "images" and find quilts I'd like to make someday... and other people's quilts are so outstanding. :thup:
Is that not your quilt photo?

Is that not your quilt photo?
I made the postage stamp quilt with the turquoise border was one taken by my husband, years ago. The ones I found on the internet were from "images" because I no longer have a photographer, camera, printer, etc.
The missus made this...

View attachment 724615
Oh, Miketx, that's lovely! My Aunt Susie who lived on a farm half way between Teague and Waco had quilts like that on all her beds, except they wren't as pretty as your better half's. :) Kudos to your creative lady of the house!

I'm starting my charity quilt binge after a 4-year hiatus. Since 2 weeks ago Sunday, I've made 6 quilt tops and taken them to the local Tall Pines Quilt Guild Charity Bees' closet. It got back to me they might like more tops to save them the time, and some like to do the actual quilting and despise piecing. So I'm now employed at zero percent pay but one hundred percent joy. :)

Just for fun, I found some inspirational red and white quilts made by other people as follows:

040.JPG
images
images
images
images

images
images
WinterTimeQuilt.jpg.optimal.jpg
Scandi%2B3%2Bblock%252C%2BMakower%252C%2Bseen%2Bat%2Bplushaddict.jpg
Cheerful%20quilt,%20RBD.png

images
410fc95a3ecee93fa6689ece25d87eac.jpg
images

Lovely rendition of the Bear's Paw Quilt
latte-image-63e74623d5b86bd469150f57.jpeg

For some reason, the Bear's Paw Quilt is a great one for fund raising. I made one once that helped an Artist Guild Gallery.
The artists wanted to make one of their own since the lady who won the quilt lived 200 miles north of the guild gallery. I
almost fainted when they told me it earned them $2000 to pay gallery expenses for a slow season. The real credit goes to
one of the artists whose business in the mall put the quilt in the busiest area, so lot of people bought tickets. I had nothing
to do with that except give the guild members a break, many of whom had sacrificed their best painting in years past to keep
the gallery afloat. I felt so privileged to know they liked fiber artists like me. All I have left of the quilt was a now dog-eared picture
in a scrapbook far, far away under some quilt fabric storage bin. The one above is so striking with a white background,
appliqued mama and baby bears in the corners and horizontal sashing areas.
More bear paw squares:

1680143465611.jpeg
1680143496426.jpeg
1680143537464.jpeg
1680143568498.png
1680143662241.jpeg
images
images
images

bearpaw-pdf-850.jpg
1b486515005792e7d4c01397efc791dd.jpg

Last edited:
Ideas for baby charity quilts... Don't mind me, I'm just having fun and looking forward to renewing my charity quiltmaking. After not having done any quilting whatever, my 6-year hiatus from the effort is over, and I've made 4 quilt tops and am a couple of work hours away from quilt top #5. I'm always looking for a different and new quilt to plan and work through till the top is done and delivered to the Charity quilter's Bee in the Tall Pines area of Texas. Sew, here goes:

"Sparrows" "Popsicle Sticks"
il_600x600.4750025003_8ikf.jpg
71LetUK-9eL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

<Twisted strips............................... and.....Simple Squares>
il_794xN.1602084347_kx4i.jpg
images

Beads on a String
il_794xN.507183740_f9y1.jpg

Knitted picture
FsP33-jWwCQ7RQc
That's beautiful, Ringo. It reminds me of Van Gogh's painting, below, "Starry Night." Your knitter did an amazing job with knitting or crochet and/or embroidered 4-ply yarns.

1680812697005.jpeg

Quilts have been known to include fabric painting, purchased fabric resemblances, applique, and by far more difficult, piecing and quilting. I'll try and add some below:

Maynard Westlake's quilt shown in 2016 at the Breckenridge Quilt Show
A0013415357--224353.JPG

Emmalee Shallenberger used thousands of half square triangles to get obviously inner admiration for VanGoh's painting reinterpreted:

quilt-van-gogh-2.jpg

Arizona Starry Night by Alicia Sterna
earned a Third Place State Quilt Ribbon in Mesa, Arizona, and also honors VanGogh's Starry Night:
Arizona%2BStarry%2BNight%2Bby%2BAlicia%2BSterna%252C%2B2016%2BAZQG%252C%2Bphoto%2Bby%2BQuilt%2BInspiration.JPG

Forum List

Back