Artful Homemade Quilts Have A Way

Finished the "Red Rain" quilt with a charming new floral red white and blue print that hopefully will cheer up a baby crib somewhere if I ever get it done.

My goal today is to fill 2 boxes from the room I sleep in since my husband died 4 and a half years ago on the 13th of this December. I can picture him in heaven cheering up the angels with his sense of humor in these times of what appears to be a stolen election all over the map. I need to quit thinking about it and get back to making a joyful series of child quilts from designs I made and published of 42 or 43 naive cartoons for people who wanted to make an animal quilt for a child. Except I have a few log cabin strips, enough to make at least a dozen quilts. So see ya later.. :scared1:
My wife made me a really nice one that I use when I can. When I can is when the cat doesn't have it.
Your cat and my Ms. Piccalo sound like close relatives. They own property right under our human noses. Lol!

Hi beautress,

Hope you are doing well. What's the next quilt project?
Hi, Erinwltr. I was thinking about a green and yellow log cabin, but opened a drawer and found 17 seven inch squares with over a dozen logs each in them, but could add more squares to make it 4x6 (24) by adding 7 more or 5x7 (35) by adding 18 squares or make the 17 all green squares into a leafy tree and figure on paper the tree trunk, some blue sky squares, a green grass floor, toss in a brown log cabin in log cabin squares to make a house with a row of red squares for a roof....nah, what newborn needs a full size bed quilt... :auiqs.jpg: Think I'll stick with the all green log cabin squares in a size that would be all green leafy. Somebody out there who needs a quilt for an Irish newborn might like the all leafy green one. I have plenty of green strips to make more than one quilt but will likely just make another quick one and have already sewn 18 q.5-inch pairs in the centers. Oh time flies and will go to the kitchen to make lunch. Happy weekend, all.

Hi beautress,

Hi, Erinwltr. I was thinking about a green and yellow log cabin, but opened a drawer and found 17 seven inch squares with over a dozen logs each in them, but could add more squares to make it 4x6 (24) by adding 7 more or 5x7 (35) by adding 18 squares or make the 17 all green squares into a leafy tree and figure on paper the tree trunk, some blue sky squares, a green grass floor, toss in a brown log cabin in log cabin squares to make a house with a row of red squares for a roof....nah, what newborn needs a full size bed quilt... :auiqs.jpg: Think I'll stick with the all green log cabin squares in a size that would be all green leafy. Somebody out there who needs a quilt for an Irish newborn might like the all leafy green one. I have plenty of green strips to make more than one quilt but will likely just make another quick one and have already sewn 18 q.5-inch pairs in the centers. Oh time flies and will go to the kitchen to make lunch. Happy weekend, all.
Wonderful. Can you do a " green and yellow log cabin " on the border and do an Impreissonist mosaic in the rest?

Hi beautress,

Wonderful. Can you do a " green and yellow log cabin " on the border and do an Impreissonist mosaic in the rest?
The first 2 pieces are green. The die is cast on this quilt. I did yellow lights on every other hue in the rainbow at some time past a few hundred posts ago (If the pictures are still up.) I'm using a phone cell now and don't know how to do things like when using a standard computer. A quick way would be to quick search this thread using the searc words, "yellow," "green" "log"...

Hi beautress,

The first 2 pieces are green. The die is cast on this quilt. I did yellow lights on every other hue in the rainbow at some time past a few hundred posts ago (If the pictures are still up.) I'm using a phone cell now and don't know how to do things like when using a standard computer. A quick way would be to quick search this thread using the searc words, "yellow," "green" "log"...
Okay, thank you , Mam.

Quilt finds on the net, 2022~~~~~
Not sure why I'm not making quilts anymore except I have been doing a lot of crochet. But back to quilting, I really need to use up a house full of quilt scraps and fabrics, so I'm going to try and find what other people are doing
1658285536549.png
for awhile, hoping I'll catch the quilt bug again. Crochet takes a lot of time, and results in a lot of colorful fun stuff for the kitchen, my kitchen, my cousin Teresa's kitchen, brother Buddy's kitchen, and assorted community helpers, too. :)
This past year I've made more than a dozen 2-sided, 35 hour, lace edged and burnless crocheted potholders. Nobody needs more potholders! But I got the nicest card from an old friend who lives on the opposite end of town which is about 8 or 9 miles from my farm. She chaired the local quilt club's Charity quilt club that meets once a month, and I made about 500 or 600 tops for others to quilt for the 10 years I took my work and worked on some other things at monthly meetings at the local quilt store. See all the pages before this one, and you'll see many of the tops I made while my husband was still living. He really lit my charity fire, and I greatly miss his encouragement. *sigh* oh, well.

So I will find other people's work for awhile, and see if the top making can rekindle itself. My friend's card made all those months of work worthwhile.

OK, here goes some pretty quilts from other people who do quilts:

View attachment 672177
Oh, my look at the pretty new fabrics. I haven't been in a quilt store in at least 3 or 4 years. I love the one above, but pretty flowers are a magnet for me.

Oh, and I found a crocheted design for edging pillowcases and sheets.
1658287307733.png

This edging instructions here: MyPicot | Crochet Patterns

1658287805016.png

Bedford lace pattern: MyPicot | Crochet Patterns

Lots of pillowcase edging patterns here: MyPicot | Crochet Patterns

Indian Arun Kumar Bajaj boasts a phenomenal skill in creating incredible embroidered paintings. I just can't believe that they are made with a conventional sewing machine: their level of detail is such that from a distance they look like hyperrealistic paintings.
Arun Kumar has been drawing well since childhood and dreamed of becoming a famous artist. But when he turned 15, the sudden death of his father canceled all plans. The boy had to drop out of school to do family business.

In many countries, there are long traditions of creating tapestries and embroidered paintings, but Arun Kumar became the first person to create embroidery of this level of detail on a conventional sewing machine.
"I've been writing on a typewriter for 23 years, since I was 12," the 35—year-old artist told Indian journalists. — My father, a tailor, died early, so I had to leave school to do his business. But I was able to combine these two arts."

One of the most impressive works of the Needle Man was an impressive embroidered canvas with the image of Krishna. It took the artist 3 years and approximately 2840 kilometers of threads to create this work measuring 183 by 122 cm. Also among his works is an embroidered painting of the court of Maharaja of Punjab Ranjit Singh, which depicts approximately 2,000 human figures. It took the artist about a year to create it.
"There is no room for error in my work: if the seam falls on the fabric, it can no longer be removed. I usually don't do embroidery in several layers, so it looks neater."

Arun Kumar continues to be engaged in the sewing business at the Adalat Bazaar in the city of Patiala in northern India, but also devotes a lot of time to art.

Another reminder that if you think you can do something well, you should remember that somewhere there is an Asian who does it better ;)
untitled.jpeg

sewing-machine-art.jpg

fullsize.jpg

Indian Arun Kumar Bajaj boasts a phenomenal skill in creating incredible embroidered paintings. I just can't believe that they are made with a conventional sewing machine: their level of detail is such that from a distance they look like hyperrealistic paintings.
Arun Kumar has been drawing well since childhood and dreamed of becoming a famous artist. But when he turned 15, the sudden death of his father canceled all plans. The boy had to drop out of school to do family business.

In many countries, there are long traditions of creating tapestries and embroidered paintings, but Arun Kumar became the first person to create embroidery of this level of detail on a conventional sewing machine.
"I've been writing on a typewriter for 23 years, since I was 12," the 35—year-old artist told Indian journalists. — My father, a tailor, died early, so I had to leave school to do his business. But I was able to combine these two arts."

One of the most impressive works of the Needle Man was an impressive embroidered canvas with the image of Krishna. It took the artist 3 years and approximately 2840 kilometers of threads to create this work measuring 183 by 122 cm. Also among his works is an embroidered painting of the court of Maharaja of Punjab Ranjit Singh, which depicts approximately 2,000 human figures. It took the artist about a year to create it.
"There is no room for error in my work: if the seam falls on the fabric, it can no longer be removed. I usually don't do embroidery in several layers, so it looks neater."

Arun Kumar continues to be engaged in the sewing business at the Adalat Bazaar in the city of Patiala in northern India, but also devotes a lot of time to art.

Another reminder that if you think you can do something well, you should remember that somewhere there is an Asian who does it better ;)
untitled.jpeg

sewing-machine-art.jpg

fullsize.jpg
Wow, he really was a fiber artist, extraordinaire! Thanks for sharing, Ringo.

Some days, we just collect color ideas where they may be found:
1660312327433.png
1660317401480.png
1660317984384.png
1660318254108.png
1660318415705.png
1660318831942.png

1660312379799.png
1660312467608.png
1660317915259.png
1660318165086.png

Attachments

• 1660317563658.png
    1660317563658.png
    349 KB · Views: 59
  • 1660317471419.png
    1660317471419.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 59
  • 1660312263198.png
    1660312263198.png
    1 MB · Views: 40
  • 1660312579681.png
    1660312579681.png
    1 MB · Views: 39
And some more stuff: These were listed with a farm sale, but then, they'd already been sold when I found them. I love them. It took a lifetime to make or collect them. Some I've never seen anything like, so I'm glad I kept the pictures. :thup: Most of these little gems likely took 50 hours or more hours to complete. Oh, yes, at the bottom of this page, there is one made with multicolor pastels that are so beautiful, and I've never seen that many colors in one variegated threads, and their colors are still so pretty! Lucky whoever bought the lot of these potholders. It's a treasure.
1660328153124.png

1660328213395.png

1660328263329.png

1660328331278.png

1660328389937.png

1660328460539.png

1660328507073.png

1660328548869.png

This one caught my eye, because every rectangle is a separate quilt, and it was attached to others the same size with a clever crochet lace in an unusual way:
1660329991149.png

The maker used a blanket stitch around each rectangle, then crocheted into the blanket stitch tops to lay a foundation for the lace you can see. It has not only simplicity, but beauty as well. I'm just blown away!​

Forum List

Back