Are You Old?

Bench seats in cars. So your gal could sit next to you while you drove. Without seat belts.

I still remember how pissed we all were when those annoying buzzers for seatbelts were put in cars.

I absolutely hate bench seats!!!
If you're not strapped in you can easily slide out of the drivers seat in a hard left turn.
Bench seat saved my life, or at least prevented major injury when some lady backed out of a ditch in front me when I was doing 60, unbelted. Thru it in a slide impact threw me right down on it, bounced back up without a scratch. Totalled both vehicles.

Got my restricted license at 14 back in 1972. Dad had me get a commercial restricted license and drove a dump truck and construction equipment. My first vehicle was a used pick up truck in 1978 gas was .50cents a gal. and tires were 25 dollars a piece if I remember correctly.

I remember JFK telling us kids to take that PE challenge--and drink our milk! I immediately ran to the fridge and got some, came back to show him I had some. I think Miss Nancy From Romper Room still had me convinced of the Magic Mirror's powers.

Captain Kangaroo and Mr. Green Jeans, the Lollypop Tree.

The Beatles' first appearance on Ed Sullivan.

The Millionaire.
I had Howdey Doody in the afternoon. I was too old for Captain Kangaroo but my younger brothers weren't.
The Mickey Mouse Club?

Ugh.....
To think trashy Miley Cyrus was a Mouseketeer.
I remember Annette. And Jiminy Cricket. That's it.
Yeah. Annette Funicello. She grew into a real hottie.

That reminds me of another thing. Women's bras back then. Like missile silos.
You guys won't remember this, but I remember garter belts when they were a necessity because they weren't selling pantyhose yet. We had quite a debate over panty hose, because if you ran just one leg, you had to throw out both. The tops of your stockings were always showing under your miniskirt, though. Pantihose won.
I looooooooooooooooove garter belts.

Got my restricted license at 14 back in 1972. Dad had me get a commercial restricted license and drove a dump truck and construction equipment. My first vehicle was a used pick up truck in 1978 gas was .50cents a gal. and tires were 25 dollars a piece if I remember correctly.
I remember when pickups were cheaper than cars.

What boy would NOT want to buy X-ray Specs after seeing this ad?

bg-f8f8f8-flat-750x-075-f-pad-750x1000-f8f8f8.jpg

Sea monkeys...

iu

Along with drive-in movies, I miss drive-in restaurants where they put a tray on your car window.

I remember when pickups were cheaper than cars.

I remember when you could buy a stripped down work truck off the lot.
Rubber floors,crank windows and maybe a radio.
Now you have to special order one.

I remember JFK telling us kids to take that PE challenge--and drink our milk! I immediately ran to the fridge and got some, came back to show him I had some. I think Miss Nancy From Romper Room still had me convinced of the Magic Mirror's powers.

The Millionaire.
I had Howdey Doody in the afternoon. I was too old for Captain Kangaroo but my younger brothers weren't.
The Mickey Mouse Club?

Ugh.....

You guys won't remember this, but I remember garter belts when they were a necessity because they weren't selling pantyhose yet. We had quite a debate over panty hose, because if you ran just one leg, you had to throw out both. The tops of your stockings were always showing under your miniskirt, though. Pantihose won.
I gotz a pic of Roseanne Bar with garter belts care to see it?

The Millionaire.
The Mickey Mouse Club?

Ugh.....

I gotz a pic of Roseanne Bar with garter belts care to see it?
man-having-vomit-closing-mouth-23-2147934434.jpg

I'm old alright !
In my child years a loaf of bread used to go for ¢0.12.
A quart of milk for ¢0,25

A grocery truck used to drive along, stopping at housewives's signs.
So did the scissors' and knife sharpener, on a tricycle !

We did not have all this "technology makes your life easier BULLSHIT "!

Talk about vicious circles !

I was about 8 when my family got our first television. I used to get up Saturday morning to watch...pissed off because the Test Patterns were still on. First was Sermonette, then shows like Captain Midnight, Ramar of the Jungle, something with Andy Devine - can't remember what it was called.

When I got my license, gas was 29.9c/gal. There were gas wars in California, with pump prices below 25c. You could put a dollar's worth of gas in the car and drive around for hours. You could get a bag of McDonald's burgers for a buck. The meat was so thin you could see through it. There were a few other fast food chains that are no longer around (Winky's). There were restaurant chains where the waitresses brought the food to your car on roller skates...wearing hot little shorts outfits.

Every kid (family) had a toy train set, either Lionel of American Flyer. HO gauge trains came out later. Other desired toys were balsa wood airplanes, hula-hoops, and toy cap guns. Tonka Trucks hadn't been conceived yet.

My brother used to wash cars at a local gas station and get paid a buck. He could buy a pack of Luckies and seven Cokes out of the vending machines at the station.

Shortly after I turned eleven, the Pirates won the World Series - the biggest sports event of my yoot.

Forum List

Back