Are we ever going to see a return to high playing plant jobs with pension plans, $35 an hour, and double time overtime pay.?

View attachment 920032

View attachment 920033

View attachment 920034

View attachment 920035

My dad, uncle and grandfather worked those types of jobs seen above. Along with many millions of Americans, if not many more throughout the 20th century. It was a pro American job. These folks were building America.

Now today the country is almost entirely different. You have a bunch of stay at home dads. Female headed households. Households with a single woman raising four or five kids especially in the inner cities. It wasn’t like this in the 1950s even the 1970s.

Those types of pictures above represented the bulk of middle-class jobs. You can of course throw in truck drivers Perhaps carpenters as well but people know what I’m talking about here. These were the bulk of the middle-class jobs.

So what is it going to be as we dive into the 21st-century. is the American middle-class going to continue to get worse and worse? Under Joe Biden we’ve seen a doubling in the average cost of a home, and a triple in interest rates on loan, compared to what it was under Trump. The middle class has been struggling for decades, but under Joe Biden it got hit really bad.

Is Joe Biden going to give us a better middle class. That’s an honest and open question to Biden and Trump supporters. What do you think? Do we need Donald Trump back?

Or is there going to be some kind of a great CEO like another Henry Ford or Rockefeller that leads the way.??
Intel Samsung chip manufacturing jobs pay that but they are likely not going to open those massive plants because of Biden's DEI scam. Looks like Israel and Poland will get those plants.

Luckily the production facility where I work c mechanics get 31 dollars, b mechanics make 36 and a mechanics get like 39. Not sure what line people start at but I think it's 28.

Sadly the pension was lost when the European side bought out facility right before I started.

We get 1 1/2 over time up to 48 hours. After 48 hours it's double time.

But I know when I grew up with my grandma and grandpa they worked not fancy jobs but they could afford to take a trip every year and took turns getting a new car every 5 years, had plenty to eat and she died at 95 with a good chunk of change in the bank.

We need a return of the American way of life where if you lived a decent life you always had what you needed and also had some things you wanted. Just working,taking care of your family and being responsible meant you could live a comfortable life.
Sorry to hear that. That’s also the case with the Ford plant in Buffalo New York. Maybe they have about 1000 employees but they used to have 7000. All of the new hires there don’t get pensions though. And they don’t get equal pay for equal work 90 days after the job. Maybe they get about $21 an hour while people who have been on the job doing the same job are getting 35 an hour or more. It’s a very difficult situation. Very anti-American if you ask me.
And not to mention Bethlehem Steel in Buffalo which once employed 25,000 people and now it’s gone. It’s a desolate factory. That’s type of site is all over America.

Does your job require a college degree of some sorts. Or any kind of special training? Or is it a similar type of job compared to say being a crane operator , forklift driver or an assembly line worker at Ford today? …when I say assembly line worker it’s not like it was in the 1920s. These are more advanced and a little bit more high-tech. People have to pass a mechanical aptitude test if they want to work for Ford today.

How many people work for your company? Can folks work as many hours as they want?

From what I’ve seen across the country it seems like when it comes to the types of jobs you have that you might have a company that employs a few hundred people.

Seems like Long gone are the days of one plant employing say 10,000 or 20,000 people. Some of the old steel plants in America were so big they used to have their own fire department.

What that type of situation saw was it benefited the entire economy. Like here in Buffalo the one Bethlehem steel plant employed 25,000 people and they were all incredible middle-class jobs with pensions. People used their money to go to local restaurants and waitresses made good money in tips. Folks from the plant jobs Used their money to buy cars so the car salesman did well. New homes were being built. It was a great time…. But it ain’t like that these days.

View attachment 920032

View attachment 920033

View attachment 920034

View attachment 920035

My dad, uncle and grandfather worked those types of jobs seen above. Along with many millions of Americans, if not many more throughout the 20th century. It was a pro American job. These folks were building America.

Now today the country is almost entirely different. You have a bunch of stay at home dads. Female headed households. Households with a single woman raising four or five kids especially in the inner cities. It wasn’t like this in the 1950s even the 1970s.

Those types of pictures above represented the bulk of middle-class jobs. You can of course throw in truck drivers Perhaps carpenters as well but people know what I’m talking about here. These were the bulk of the middle-class jobs.

So what is it going to be as we dive into the 21st-century. is the American middle-class going to continue to get worse and worse? Under Joe Biden we’ve seen a doubling in the average cost of a home, and a triple in interest rates on loan, compared to what it was under Trump. The middle class has been struggling for decades, but under Joe Biden it got hit really bad.

Is Joe Biden going to give us a better middle class. That’s an honest and open question to Biden and Trump supporters. What do you think? Do we need Donald Trump back?

Or is there going to be some kind of a great CEO like another Henry Ford or Rockefeller that leads the way.??
There are some but they are rare. One of my better friends has one but it is high risk. He works with radioactive material all night. I don't think they will become common place again. Elon Musk believes all jobs will disappear fairly soon due to robots and AI. We will end up with a universal income. Sit around chatting and doing art. Guess I have a shit load of stick figures to make in the future.

View attachment 920032

View attachment 920033

View attachment 920034

View attachment 920035

The cutoff for overtime pay (last I checked) is around 55k a year, which is "just under" 30 an hour.

If you make more than that, you're likely salaried, which means you don't get overtime.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, and I'm not sure how the unions handle this (by contract, yes?)

My father worked in a plant manufacturing job for 26 years at General Electric. He worked a skilled position, painting components for washers and driers that could not be painted by robots. For the last few years he worked, he was the only worker in the factory qualified to do that job. If he wasn't there, the line did not run. He retired in the early 1980s and guess what his highest salary was? He made a base hourly wage of less than $8.00 and hour, but worked a 50-hour week, so he had 10 hours of overtime at about $12.00 an hour. Where the heck are these $35.00 an hour jobs? Inflation hasn't been that much!

I’m hanging in there. I’m concerned about fellow Americans. Are you concerned for fellow Americans.?

Good leadership in this country paves the way for a better life for Americans. We had great leadership and I will say that from Democrats in the early 20th century along with Republicans like Dwight Eisenhower, who helped to build the American Thruway system.

Maybe it’s a good job and some areas of the country. But numbers wise it doesn’t compare to what we used to have from the steel industry for example.

Looks like bricklayers make average money. Not as much as a steel worker, or Auto worker used to make.

Anyway, how many bricklayers are there in the USA. Is there a factory that employees 200,000 bricklayers like we had at the river rogue plant once in Detroit?

Under Joe Biden things have gotten worse for the middle class. You can see it here.

Buildings are not made of brick very much anymore.

There are some but they are rare. One of my better friends has one but it is high risk. He works with radioactive material all night. I don't think they will become common place again. Elon Musk believes all jobs will disappear fairly soon due to robots and AI. We will end up with a universal income. Sit around chatting and doing art. Guess I have a shit load of stick figures to make in the future.
White Collar jobs will be degraded by AI before Blue Collar jobs.

The cutoff for overtime pay (last I checked) is around 55k a year, which is "just under" 30 an hour.

If you make more than that, you're likely salaried, which means you don't get overtime.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, and I'm not sure how the unions handle this (by contract, yes?)
Hundreds of thousands of nurses (RN and LPN) make well over $30 an hour, and none of them are salary.

Yes. The union negotiates with the company I work for every three years and us members vote for it's approval. This is a three year contract.

Overtime is double time.

Democrats wreck the auto industry, then try to shift the blame. Just the latest industry those morons have ruined.

This can be said about most every problem Americans face.

Republicans are not the answer to your problems but democrats are definitely the cause of them.

Well under Donald Trump, we had lower prices, a much lower cost-of-living compared to today.
Trump's first two years were the carryover of Obama's successful policies that he was all to happy to take credit for.
The second two years of his term was all about his bungling of The Covid response.
What we had in the 20th century was the rise of the auto and steel industry and a vision of auto makers to create automobiles for Americans that could be driven all over the country. Steel was used to build our skyscrapers and Bridges.

And one idea of Henry Ford was that his car would be affordable for the working man. That made him billions of dollars but it also put money into the American economy.
That was before Reaganomics and trickle-down economic theory started wrecking our economy.
When’s the last time you heard of some grand building project in the USA? Seems like we need to build more skyscrapers, public libraries put people to work. Make this country look beautiful again. Get rid of the graffiti and vandalism all over the streets.
Biden's policy is very heavy on infrastructure projects like these that Republicans keep shooting down.

In order to have a "better" middle class we are going to need a redistribution of wealth in this country.
You ok with that?
Reaganomics was responsible for the vanishing middle class in America.
Trickle-down-economics hasn't worked, but it was never intended to.
It has resulted in all of the nation's wealth being siphoned out of the economy into the offshore bank accounts of the super wealthy....so all we've got now are two classes....the rich and the poor.
Donald Trump's tax cuts made the problem WORSE, not better.

Trickle down was never a Reagan administration policy.
Read a book. Seek the truth and realize you’ve been lied to your entire life.

Trump's first two years were the carryover of Obama's successful policies that he was all to happy to take credit for.
The second two years of his term was all about his bungling of The Covid response.

That was before Reaganomics and trickle-down economic theory started wrecking our economy.

Biden's policy is very heavy on infrastructure projects like these that Republicans keep shooting down.

Was it Obamas clash for clunkers or shovel ready jobs that were responsible for his “success “?

Forum List

Back