AR vs AK?

Overall, the AK wins. It is just a great and dependable rifle. It dont malfunction and it does not jam. And todays AKS are more accurate out to 300 yards and beyond, more than they were 20 or 30 years ago.
[...]
What you've said conforms with something I read in a Shotgun News article I read a few years back when I was considering buying a Chinese import AK-47 for $299. The article I read in the same issue, combined with the fact that I don't shoot much anymore, changed my mind.

The writer basically said AK-47s are made all over the world and its reputation for deficient accuracy is based on the performance of the cheaper ones, which are carelessly manufactured.

Agreed, AKs made in the China and the U.S. are trash, but not so from countries like Russia and Romania. You can no longer get Romanian AKs anymore as all exports are going directly to the Russian effort. AKs are definitely superior weapons and that's why they've been the most produced the world over. They are dependable, reliable in dirty environments, and they're accurate. Ammo is plentiful and not all that expensive like in the case of 30-06 although the range is better with the later, although the other factors suffer. It all depends on the circumstances which has to be considered with whatever weapon is being compared.

I would like to have both. In deciding to buy the AR, I was told by people that the AK suffered in the area of accuracy, and I am still told that the AR is reliable even if it is seldom or never cleaned. I know people who claim to not have cleaned theirs and have shot 1000+ rounds out if it. Being a gun cleaning freak, that kind of thing unnerves me though.

I will someday own an AK. I just like the look of them.

I prefer my M-1A SOCOM to either.

I have an M1A. There is no finer semi-auto rifle out there, imho. I would like to shoot the Springfield Scout Squad. I think that extra two inches make me favor it over the SOCOM. The SOCOM is a sweet little package though.

I have an M1A. There is no finer semi-auto rifle out there, imho. I would like to shoot the Springfield Scout Squad. I think that extra two inches make me favor it over the SOCOM. The SOCOM is a sweet little package though.

I had a match grade M1A to use for awhile and really liked it but it actually belonged to someone else (long boring story) and I spent awhile without one. Then my wife ran into the SOCOM at a yard sale. In the box with all the paperwork and two spare 20 rd. mags. It was claimed to have fired two rds. to test for function. Got it for slightly over half factory price. Shortly there after my father-in-law passed away and left me his pristine M1 Garand. Have spent many years fiddling around with various bolt action military rifles (usually in one state or another of being "sportized") and have enjoyed them very much. Life is good.

I just saw a pic of (I guess) is the latest variation of the SOCOM. The SOCOM CQB.

In many ways it reminds me of the old airborne version of the carbine, in a weird way...

Looks like it would be nice, though.

AA9620ComingSoon_1200x3061.png

This is the version I have except mine has the darker colored stock and it is also almost always loaded with a 20rd. mag.(instead of the 10rd. pictured here.)

Agreed, AKs made in the China and the U.S. are trash, but not so from countries like Russia and Romania. You can no longer get Romanian AKs anymore as all exports are going directly to the Russian effort. AKs are definitely superior weapons and that's why they've been the most produced the world over. They are dependable, reliable in dirty environments, and they're accurate. Ammo is plentiful and not all that expensive like in the case of 30-06 although the range is better with the later, although the other factors suffer. It all depends on the circumstances which has to be considered with whatever weapon is being compared.

the Poly Tech legend was one of the best AKs ever made-it had one of the thickest receivers on the market and its the one US SF uses when they need AKs. I gave one away before the import ban hit them. I have owned top of the line-the Russian made-RED JACKET versions, the Bulgarian milled Receiver arsenals etc and that Chinese made one was equally as good as the Red Jacket custom conversions

rifles I have owned and competed with

VALMET 76 in 556 (sold)-great rifle couldn't get parts after the import ban

AR 70-Beretta-as reliable as an AK as accurate as an AR-only drawback=the safety works like a SW Double action pistol (like a 659) and the mag release is AK style

HK G3 (CETME Portugese) 762-sold, Lousy trigger, reliable

HK 93- (Sold) overrated and I made a ton of money off of it

an Original Armalite AR -180 (sold for big profit) reliable, accurate, easy to shoot-cons-the stock lock up was loose. I have also shot the HOWA (best made) the STERLING (not as good) and the SA versions.

AR 15s all kinds and variations. Colt, Bushmaster (Maine) Windham Weaponry (old Bushmaster) STI competition gun, Armalite, Rock River Arms. CMMG, STAG, DPMS, Smith and Wesson and several builds I have done using various receivers including Anderson, RRA, RRA has the best stock trigger IMHO. they all are pretty much even in my book. Windham Weaponry for the money is one of the best brands, the SW tends to be the most trouble free according to friends of mine who run a top training facility. the current Bushmasters don't appear to be as good as the Maine built ones.

FN-FALs (original Belgium, a SA South American build and a DSA American build)

several Arsenal Bulgarian rigs-some in 762X39 one in 545X39 and three in 556 NATO-probably the best made AK generally available now

AK 103-Red Jacket builds (I suspect no longer available) and two in 545 AK 74 variations-the best AKs I have owned other than that Valmet

SA M1A1 super-match set up in M-21 configuration

very heavy-static position weapon

STEYR AUG and the American Made MICRO-TECH

the latter is more versatile due to optic mounting options-great weapons for house clearing-sucks for shooting prone due to mag changes

also several MI garands (DCM rifles) several MI Carbines (most DCMs) one Korean re=import and one built for me by Fulton Armory (top flight stuff)

Finally a few Rock Rivers in 9mm and one of the LAR in 308

so based on all of this I'd say the following

the best SHTF rifle of all I own is probably the Arsenal in the 556. the recoil impulse is better than the 762x39 and more accurate but its a bit more reliable than the ARs I have. the AR-70 would be a close second. of the 762 rifles, the Belgium made FAL has the best ergonomics but the LAR is a bit more accurate and easier to mount optics on it

I myself prefer the AK because with the money you save you can by more mags. And I like having a bag full of pre-loaded mags. When you are shooting say rats at the dump you simply do not have time to load mags. I myself have 20 so that is 600 rounds ready to go at 30 per.

Now the AK DOES need some light work IF you are shooting Chinese with Russian mags. A quick dremel takes care of that. So which do you prefer and why?

I like the AR. I like it's extremely modular nature of the platform for starters and if I decied I want one in any caliber that's the same size as .556 it's a simple matter of swapping uppers. AK is not junk, but in my mind it's a weapon that's at its best in full auto. I do like 7.62x39, I just like it better in a bolt gun which is why I got a CZ 527 in that caliber. my current AR is a Bushmaster XM15A2. It likes 55 grain .223 JSP and will group those at 2 inches at 100 yards.

I myself prefer the AK because with the money you save you can by more mags. And I like having a bag full of pre-loaded mags. When you are shooting say rats at the dump you simply do not have time to load mags. I myself have 20 so that is 600 rounds ready to go at 30 per.

Now the AK DOES need some light work IF you are shooting Chinese with Russian mags. A quick dremel takes care of that. So which do you prefer and why?

I like the AR. I like it's extremely modular nature of the platform for starters and if I decied I want one in any caliber that's the same size as .556 it's a simple matter of swapping uppers. AK is not junk, but in my mind it's a weapon that's at its best in full auto. I do like 7.62x39, I just like it better in a bolt gun which is why I got a CZ 527 in that caliber. my current AR is a Bushmaster XM15A2. It likes 55 grain .223 JSP and will group those at 2 inches at 100 yards.

Gotta disagree on the AK on full auto.
The thing rides up like cheap underwear.

Last edited:
It does, it does the M16 to. I'm not a trained operator, just a guy. But, many I know will say the muzzle climb is similar, but the M16 is softer. But, I can't shoot class 3 regularly so I'm no authority and can only say how it is for me. As far as what I'm abe to own go's, I have to stick with the AR, but don't have anything against the semiauto AK'S or full auto for that matter. I'm saving for a .50 Beowolf build at this time. I'm thinking about applying for the NFA trust thing and getting a silincer for it. It would open me up to night time pig hunting, and keep the noise down during the day. I'm pretty far out in BFE but our Houston neighbors don't like the noise.

It does, it does the M16 to. I'm not a trained operator, just a guy. But, many I know will say the muzzle climb is similar, but the M16 is softer. But, I can't shoot class 3 regularly so I'm no authority and can only say how it is for me. As far as what I'm abe to own go's, I have to stick with the AR, but don't have anything against the semiauto AK'S or full auto for that matter. I'm saving for a .50 Beowolf build at this time. I'm thinking about applying for the NFA trust thing and getting a silincer for it. It would open me up to night time pig hunting, and keep the noise down during the day. I'm pretty far out in BFE but our Houston neighbors don't like the noise.

Just installed this...

On this...
i-M6ML4NX-M.jpg

Hopefully will be test firing next weekend.

So where are you? I'm in Katy.

Forum List

Back