AR vs AK?

DarkFury

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2015
Sun, Sand And Palm Trees
I myself prefer the AK because with the money you save you can by more mags. And I like having a bag full of pre-loaded mags. When you are shooting say rats at the dump you simply do not have time to load mags. I myself have 20 so that is 600 rounds ready to go at 30 per.

Now the AK DOES need some light work IF you are shooting Chinese with Russian mags. A quick dremel takes care of that. So which do you prefer and why?

For this kind of thing, I like the high mag pistols. Because of where I live, I don't get to use the big weapons as I'd like.

Shooting 9mm is cheaper, for sure. I recommend the .22lr mossberg.

I like the sound AK's make and the way the wooden surplus-style guns feel when you fire them. A baby bush 223 was the closest that I have come to an AR. Round cost indeed.

I myself prefer the AK because with the money you save you can by more mags. And I like having a bag full of pre-loaded mags. When you are shooting say rats at the dump you simply do not have time to load mags. I myself have 20 so that is 600 rounds ready to go at 30 per.

Now the AK DOES need some light work IF you are shooting Chinese with Russian mags. A quick dremel takes care of that. So which do you prefer and why?

Everyone who knows weapons will choose an AK unless they have a financial stake in American weapons. There is no comparison, one's objectively better top to bottom.

AR is useless if you drop it in the dirt, don't become an expert cleaning it, or in inclemate weather conditions (as happened in Vietnam with soldiers dying because it's a pos.)

AK can be dropped in the dirt, sand, mud and shaken clean and is still combat effective. Plus the ammo's superior as well. As has been said you can clean an AK with your finger and shirt.

I don't own a AK but the word on them that I've read is they are not very accurate, which is why they do so well running dirty. Home defense would be close work though so I wouldn't mind having one but am happy with the AR. I don't think I'd ever shoot enough bad guys to make it run foul.

Everyone who knows weapons will choose an AK unless they have a financial stake in American weapons. There is no comparison, one's objectively better top to bottom.

AR is useless if you drop it in the dirt, don't become an expert cleaning it, or in inclemate weather conditions (as happened in Vietnam with soldiers dying because it's a pos.)

AK can be dropped in the dirt, sand, mud and shaken clean and is still combat effective. Plus the ammo's superior as well. As has been said you can clean an AK with your finger and shirt.

The M16 of today is much improved over the Vietnam era rifle.
The flash chroming of the barrel solved the problem they were having with rounds sticking in the breach.
That being said the AK will take a shitload of abuse.

"AR vs AK?"

Given their pricing, there's no reason not to own one of each.

I enjoy shooting my AR because it's accurate, its build quality is outstanding, and because of that excellent build quality and use of quality parts it will remain serviceable for years to come.

I enjoy shooting my AK because it's reliable – after 8 years and countless thousands of rounds it has never failed, it's accurate at short ranges, and its build quality is also excellent, although the barrel is not of the same quality as the AR.

Both always end up coming to the range with me.

If the choice were between an M-16 A-1 and an AK I would have to go with the M-16. The A-1 version and a change in ammo corrected most of the problems of the early run M-16s. The M-16 is more accurate and more controllable in full auto. Both the weapon itself and the ammo for it are lighter handier and less of a pain to carry over time and distance. In my day carrying an AK carried the risk of being mistaken for a bad guy which might not end well.
I can't say I'm all that wild about the 5.56 round but otherwise it is about all you could ask for in a (for real) assault rifle. The M-14 is a better battle rifle.

If the choice were between an M-16 A-1 and an AK I would have to go with the M-16. The A-1 version and a change in ammo corrected most of the problems of the early run M-16s. The M-16 is more accurate and more controllable in full auto. Both the weapon itself and the ammo for it are lighter handier and less of a pain to carry over time and distance. In my day carrying an AK carried the risk of being mistaken for a bad guy which might not end well.
I can't say I'm all that wild about the 5.56 round but otherwise it is about all you could ask for in a (for real) assault rifle. The M-14 is a better battle rifle.

You could always go with the .308 in the AR platform like the AR 10.

You could always go with the .308 in the AR platform like the AR 10.

I have a Springfield Arms "SOCOM" in .308.

Caliber wise, they both have their benefits.

Overall, the AK wins. It is just a great and dependable rifle. It dont malfunction and it does not jam. And todays AKS are more accurate out to 300 yards and beyond, more than they were 20 or 30 years ago.

The AK Rifle is a tank and a great end of the world gun. It is good for anti personnel as well as anti barrier applications. It is a great bullet - a .30 caliber ; with good energy and ballistics. It has firepower and the ability to overwhelm an enemy.

The .223 is terrific for it flat trajectory and speed, even though the 55 grain bullet is popular, it is best with the bullets averaging 70 grains. I feel that even the "green tipped 5.56 ammo" and others, is still inferior to the AK-47 / SKS round. The AK and ammo is bulkier and heavier, and the M4 and 5.56 ammo is more compact and lighter, but the benefit ratio of the AK rifle is tremendously more. If I was in a South American Jungle - Desert of Africa or some other remote region......I would rather have an AK. Better tolerances on the rifle, less maintance and worry of failure.

Shadow 355 ( Prior Military )

In a battle situation I would rather have a round flying downrange 6 inches off target than pull the trigger and hear nothing but a "click".

AK all the way.

I carried an M-16A-1 in combat in Vietnam. It was very reliable, even when fairly dirty (most of the time). I'm still alive. Some other folks aren't. I would choose the M-16 over the AK in any similar situation. The problem with the small but fast 5.56 round is that it tends to come apart or deflect wildly on vegetation. Also it drifts badly at longer ranges if there is much of a breeze. Most of the guys who walked point regularly seemed to prefer the 12Ga. with buckshot to either weapon in heavy vegetation.
As I said before I would prefer the M14 to either in most circumstances. The civilian version is the M1A. I have one of those and an M1 Garand.

Forum List

Back