AR vs AK?

Lol, Nice. You know where Winnie is?

Picked up this little gem in Winnie as well(the top one)
i-wQTCvb3-M.jpg

Just west and a right turn and out in the rice fields. Moved here from Springbranch. Like it because I can shoot and goofing off a bunch, but it's getting developed out here pretty bad. Sorry for the bold. Not shouting

i-wQTCvb3-M.jpg

Some pics don't show. Is it a gun or the dog?

Thats weird,it should show just fine.
But no,it's an FNX .45 Tactical in flat dark earth.

Nice. They used to have a suppressed model at the Arms room that could be rented. Real nice guns for shooting. Accurate to.

i-wQTCvb3-M.jpg

Nice. Going to put pics of my two. Hard to say which is my favorite though.

i-wQTCvb3-M.jpg

Nice. They used to have a suppressed model at the Arms room that could be rented. Real nice guns for shooting. Accurate to.

i-wQTCvb3-M.jpg

Nice. Going to put pics of my two. Hard to say which is my favorite though.

So the pics showed up?
But yeah its suppressor ready.

You gotta love Armslist.

20160418_105221_zpsrm59lm34.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] I think I did it.

No pics.
The easy way is to copy and paste from photo storage such as smugmug or the like.

I did. I'll try it again, but they are both carbines. One is my .58 Cal Pedro's lol (BAD spelling, bad) musketoon. Awesome gun. The other is my Mforgery.

Some sites require a certain amount of posts before you can post pics.
Didnt think this was one of em but it's been so long since my initial posts I cant remember for sure.

Literal punkin chunker. Was real accurate out to 200 yards, but the back sight busted and that's hard to do now unless you are a super sniper or something.

When we talk about reliability issues between the two rifles what we are really talking about is piston versus direct impingement. Direct impingement can be a finnicky system by its very nature. You are essentially funneling hot gas, and whatever unspent powder and particulates it carries, through a very narrow aperture to create pressure against the bolt carrier to move the action. The very narrow part is the key there. Over time, and without proper maintenance, that narrow aperture can become clogged resulting in feeding malfunctions at best.

If we are talking about a prepper end of days scenario then it follows that proper maintenance equipment will become increasingly difficult to come by. The tight tolerances and precision machining that make the AR platform rifles such capable battlefield weapons will become a liability as routine maintenance becomes more difficult to perform in an environment that has lost much of the industrialized base that we have come to rely on for our military hardware. There is a reason our military trains soldiers to be armorers and makes sure every solider is familiar with how to maintain their weapon. There is a reason we maintain the logistics to make sure our soldiers have basic cleaning and maintenance supplies even in the field.

In a post collapse society you would not longer have people manufacturing gun oil or swabs. There would be supplies but those supplies would essentially be finite and it would be in those days where the AK would shine. It lacks the tight tolerances of the AR and most importantly it is piston driven. Pistons can still become fouled but repairing a fouled piston and gas tube is head and shoulders easier than getting the fouling out of a direct impingement system. You can clean the whole apparatus with a tube sock and a sturdy stick if you had to. The AK won't win you any awards for long range marksmanship with its clunky, loose tolerances. Hell anyone who has ever fired one can't tell me with a straight face that the first time they heard the dust cover rattle under the force of the action that they didn't wonder, just a little bit, if the rifle wasn't about to fly apart. Those loosely machined tolerances can actually accommodate a little bit of crud without seizing up. AR platform rifles tend to be a little less forgiving of grit and grime. If you have the supplies and ability to maintain it a direct impingement AR is a fine and obviously battle proven rifle that will do what you need it to do. The AK, on the other hand, has shown time and time again that it can perform under harsh conditions with rudimentary maintenance in an relatively unskilled operator's hands and still be an effective weapon. Of course the best of both worlds would be a piston action AR.

On the subject of ammo, which is hardly even a talking point since you can pretty much make an AR chamber whatever you want so long as you put the parts into it, if I had to choose between 5.56 and 7.62 in a prepper survival situation I'd pick the 7.62. The larger round is just more effective against unarmored opponents and light cover, which is what I imagine you would be faced up against in a prepper/survival scenario.
PSL2.jpg
IMG_2177.jpg

DI guns get a bad rap I think. Piston is great, but they break. Only saw it once on a gun a guy switched over to piston but break it did. DI does make a filthy gun, but my DI Bushi typically gets cleaned once a month if that and she still go's. Does Okay with steel case fine to, talk about nasty! I think the AR gets a bad rap and the AK is operated at times. Both are nice guns. My only gripe with both of then is that who ever makes them think those that shoot them are midgets.

True. That's why I own several ak's and ar's. I haven't had any trouble from anyone of them. I stocked up on ammo and spare part's when availability was common. Ammo is more common now as well as reloading equipment and primers. If you like shooting like I do better stock up. The way the political climate is changing who knows what will happen.

True. That's why I own several ak's and ar's. I haven't had any trouble from anyone of them. I stocked up on ammo and spare part's when availability was common. Ammo is more common now as well as reloading equipment and primers. If you like shooting like I do better stock up. The way the political climate is changing who knows what will happen.

LOL, that and some MRE's and a Seacrane radio, I hear ya.

Forum List

Back