Zone1 Any Christians intersted in a Biblical argument that God/Jesus is THE rock and not Peter?

K9Buck

Platinum Member
Dec 25, 2009
I'm asking Christians, not Catholics, since they don't believe in the authority of the Bible.

The rock that Christ's church was built upon was the rock of revelation.

Matthew 16:13-19
13 When Jesus came into the coasts of Cæsarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?
14 And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets.
15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?
16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-jona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.
18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

In these verses it was direct revelation from our Father in Heaven that Peter knew that Jesus was the Christ, the Son of the Living God. Thus upon the rock of revelation from God was Jesus to build his church and by staying true to the revelations from God the gates of Hell could not prevail against those revelations.

The name Peter comes from the Greek word for rock. This verse was transparently added (to the parallel passage in Mark) by the author of the Gospel According to Matthew to support Peter in the Peter-Paul controversy. The rest of the gospels lack this story in the parallel passages (Mark 8:27-30, Luke 9:18-21, and John 6:67-71).

I'm asking Christians, not Catholics, since they don't believe in the authority of the Bible.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.

The rock that Christ's church was built upon was the rock of revelation.

Matthew 16:13-19
13 When Jesus came into the coasts of Cæsarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?
14 And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets.
15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?
16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-jona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.
18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

In these verses it was direct revelation from our Father in Heaven that Peter knew that Jesus was the Christ, the Son of the Living God. Thus upon the rock of revelation from God was Jesus to build his church and by staying true to the revelations from God the gates of Hell could not prevail against those revelations.

The term "this rock" is confusing to many. But Christ's statement that "flesh and blood had not revealed it......." is pretty telling.

Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show his works by a good life in the humility that comes from wisdom.d
14But if you have bitter jealousy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast and be false to the truth.
15Wisdom of this kind does not come down from above but is earthly, unspiritual, demonic.
16For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there is disorder and every foul practice.
17But the wisdom from above is first of all pure, then peaceable, gentle, compliant, full of mercy and good fruits, without inconstancy or insincerity.e
18And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace for those who cultivate peace.f

Last edited:
Of course not
1700712899869.png

Hahahaha

Build Your House on the Rock

25 And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock. 26 And everyone who hears these words of mine and does not do them will be like aa foolish man who built his house on the sand.

ESV.org › ...
Matthew 7:24–27 -

Everyone who comes to me and hears my words and does them - ESV.org

Forum List

Back