Another "Soccer is a Dumb Game" Thread, if you please...

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
As I sit here with 'bated breath, waiting for the telecast of the United States Soccer Team's coming match with - who is it? - Ghana? Vatican City? Monte Carlo? - I am forced to revisit my long-held observation that soccer (which the World correctly calls, "FOOTball") is a profoundly dumb sport.

Consider:

All GOOD sports involve some combination of applied strength and Hand&Eye coordination. Most sports also reward things like quickness, speed, dexterity, and ability to do basically the same thing consistently, time after time.

But the focus is on hands and eyes. Hitting a tennis, golf, or base-ball. Shooting a basketball, throwing and catching a football, striking a volleyball with your hands, striking your opponent with your fists. See anything in common?

There is a reason for this pervasive importance of dexterity and hand-eye coordination: this is the highest manifestation of human physical capabilities - whether in sports or otherwise.

On the other hand (sorry), here is a sport in which play is conducted with the same limbs that are used for transportation: the Feet! So in addition to walking or running to the place of the play, you also have to be prepared to kick the ball at the same time. Is this stupid or what?

I freely admit that good FOOTball players are able to astounding things with the ball. But still, compared to what can be done with the hands it's a bit lame. FOOTball is like the "Special Olympics" of team sports: everyone (but the goalie) is handicapped by not being able to use the limbs that God gave us for doing this sort of thing.

Any competent 12-year-old basketball player can shoot the ball ten times more accurately than the best FOOTball player in the world could kick it. Give him ten chances to kick the ball into the basket from the foul line. Better figure on a hundred chances; that's how long it will take him to make a single basket.

The universal popularity of FOOTball does not make it any less stupid. After all, Rod Stewart is an international Rock God. It's simply a game that can be taught from a very early age and people get used to it. And unlike many other sports, you don't have to be a genetic mutant to succeed at the highest level.

The futility of soccer is demonstrated by the fact that the higher the level of competition, the fewer goals are scored. I guarantee that it will be possible to produce a "highlights" film of the coming FIFA World Championship Final Game lasting no more than 30 seconds.

I hope the Brazillians are able to produce the most wonderful tournament in the history of the game, and it is not marred by any criminality, riots, or scandals. And even if it is a stupid game, I hope the Americans do themselves proud - relatively speaking. If they do I will even wear my American Flag shirt when they play to show my support.

Does the team have a name? "Imperialist Bastards," or something?

Americans have difficulty with soccer because it's 2 non-stop 45 minute periods with no commercial interruptions. The American brain simply cannot stay on topic that long; it's need a break every 30 seconds or so to get Cheetos's or beer.

Last edited:
The one thing I like about soccer is that game never stops, but it's still not as exciting as basketball, football, baseball or even hockey.

Soccer is too boring, that's why it isn't popular here. A few points for all that time on the field? You could doze off for a half hour and not miss anything.

I really like soccer, it requires a lot of skill, the players don't have to use heavy protective gear (something for the legs only) they are not out there to kill each other like football or rugby ... it's an exciting and civilizated game!

But of course, when it comes to taste, à chacun son goût. :)

Soccer is too boring, that's why it isn't popular here. A few points for all that time on the field? You could doze off for a half hour and not miss anything.

football is not popular in the US because the US winning the world cup is not a realistic scenario.

Wrong! It's because we have better sports here. Let's call a spade a spade, America has the best athletes in the world. We prove it every summer Olympics. If our top professional athletes grew up interested and focused on gay-ass-soccer instead of the sports they play we'd win every international soccer competition on a consistent basis. Face it eurofag maybe we just think soccer is gay.

football is not popular in the US because the US winning the world cup is not a realistic scenario.

Wrong! It's because we have better sports here. Let's call a spade a spade, America has the best athletes in the world. We prove it every summer Olympics. If our top professional athletes grew up interested and focused on gay-ass-soccer instead of the sports they play we'd win every international soccer competition on a consistent basis. Face it eurofag maybe we just think soccer is gay.

Players don't have to draw blood and break bones for a sport to be manly, you know?

haha, get a grip, jingo mcchauv.

DGS is correct in that humans are a superior specsies because of our hand eye coordination. That is what set us apart from the animals

To create a sport where you use your feet and head but not your hands is uncivilized

Last edited:
DGS is correct in that humans are a superior specsise because of our hand eye coordination. That is what set us apart from the animals

To create a sport where you use your feet and head but not your hands is uncivilized

I will use your signature as an answer!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong LOL!!!

Forum List

Back