OMIGOD...Tony Gwynn gone

I just heard on the radio

Sad to hear. He was one of the best pure hitters I ever saw in my lifetime. A legend in San Diego and by all accounts a first rate person

Gwynn, whose 3,141 hits rank 19th on the all-time list, spent his entire 20-season career with the Padres, and was as revered for his upbeat and affable nature as his lifetime .338 average and eight batting titles. He earned election to the Hall of Fame with an overwhelming 97.6% of the vote, earning induction alongside Cal Ripken Jr.

How sad....we watched him for years....and got to know him on the autograph circuit. :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

I'm going to guess from being overweight? You just knew he was going to get fat after baseball. You know who didn't who I thought would? Cecil Fielder. His son is a fatty though and probably will be huge when he's done with baseball.

How sad....we watched him for years....and got to know him on the autograph circuit. :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

I'm going to guess from being overweight? You just knew he was going to get fat after baseball. You know who didn't who I thought would? Cecil Fielder. His son is a fatty though and probably will be huge when he's done with baseball.

Cancer

• Banned

He had cancer, from the tobacco chew. He had parts of his jaw removed a few years back. It was quite a lesson about chew.

He had cancer, from the tobacco chew. He had parts of his jaw removed a few years back. It was quite a lesson about chew.

Should be a warning to the rest of the league. He was only 54

Aside from quick little 10 second sound bites, I only got to see him talking at length on a program where he was reminiscing and talking about hitting with Ted Williams.

Really seemed to have his head on straight. Knew his baseball history and where his accomplishments put him in it.

Too bad there aren't more like him. RIP

We did a card show with him signing autographs, my kid and his friend were playing on the elevators at the hotel and met Tony Gwynn on the way down. Gwynn signed a ball and gave it to the kids and then latter came up and chatted with them and us for awhile.

A very nice guy, all of sports needs more of his type.

He will be missed.

We did a card show with him signing autographs, my kid and his friend were playing on the elevators at the hotel and met Tony Gwynn on the way down. Gwynn signed a ball and gave it to the kids and then latter came up and chatted with them and us for awhile.

He will be missed.

How much are his rookie cards worth now?

Goodbye and rest in peace, to one fine man and one of the great mlb pure hitters of all time, incredibly in a class with Stan Musial, Lou Gehrig, Babe Ruth, and Ted Williams.

Heard dip was the main reason he died so young. This guy was one of the great players during my childhood. He was not only a great player but such a nice guy. Rest in peace.

He will be missed.

Not sure, I got out of the hobby, it turned into a business and the fun left. You could probably look on line and find pricing but I would imagine right now it is running high because of his death. But Gwynn, Mantle and McGwire were real nice down to earth people, Mantle had the best stories. Ken Griffey Jr. was a real good guy also. My favorite and most humble athlete was Jack Tatum of the Oakland Raiders, he was just a nice guy and was who he was.

Sent from my iPad using an Android.

I just heard on the radio

Sad to hear. He was one of the best pure hitters I ever saw in my lifetime. A legend in San Diego and by all accounts a first rate person

Indeed he was. San Diego was my hometown, and my son played on San Diego States football team, my wife and i used to sit by him and his wife at the games. He was involved in and a big supporter of the sports program there, having attended there himself.

I remember as a little kid telling all my friends one day he's going to hit .400. Too bad it never happened. They really shouldn't let players chew that shit during games. It's not good for the players and it's not good for the kids to see.

I remember as a little kid telling all my friends one day he's going to hit .400. Too bad it never happened. They really shouldn't let players chew that shit during games. It's not good for the players and it's not good for the kids to see.

He came close. If not for the strike one year he may have hit .400. I think that for a 162 game period he did

He came close. If not for the strike one year he may have hit .400. I think that for a 162 game period he did

yep. That strike year killed Gwynn's attempt at .400 and the Expos' attempt at a World Series.

He will be missed.

Anything with a confirmed signature basically doubles overnight.

Its the morbid side of the collector's business.

I don't watch baseball anymore. Back when I used to watch the only other guy besides TG who I thought had a chance at it was Tod Helton on Colorodo.

Forum List

Back