Analysts Say Armed Groups At Protests Raise Specter Of A 'Street War'

Coyote

Varmint
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Apr 17, 2009
Canis Latrans
I think all the predictors are there: summer heat, months of Covid restrictions, huge unemployment, the new release of horrible economic news....lots of division and anger, a very volatile situation. Then you add in various armed groups of extremists and agitators who have hijacking these protests and it isn’t good. Peaceful protests don’t need guns.

At a congressional hearing this month, extremism researcher J.J. MacNab delivered a warning: "There is a potential street war brewing."

MacNab cited the dangerous mix of armed factions squaring off at protests around the United States. Of all the current flashpoints for violence — the pandemic, the election, the economy — she called it the risk that worries her most.

"I am concerned that there will be a shootout at one or more of the Black Lives Matter protests," MacNab told House members. "There are too many guns at these events, held by too many groups with conflicting goals."

I think we are coming into very dangerous waters over the next couple of months," said Seth Jones of the Center for Strategic and International Studies. "This has the potential for larger numbers and amounts of street violence between groups and networks on opposing sides. This is serious. I haven't seen this kind of domestic terrorism threat, really, in my lifetime."

Analysts say far-right and anti-government agitators are either attacking protesters or trying to glom onto their cause to push their own agendas. Other extremists see a chance to trigger a violent revolution; still others, a race war. Meanwhile, guns are increasingly visible on the protesters' side too. Some armed anti-fascist groups and Black gun clubs have joined the fray as self-proclaimed community defense forces.

I think all the predictors are there: summer heat, months of Covid restrictions, huge unemployment, the new release of horrible economic news....lots of division and anger, a very volatile situation. Then you add in various armed groups of extremists and agitators who have hijacking these protests and it isn’t good. Peaceful protests don’t need guns.

At a congressional hearing this month, extremism researcher J.J. MacNab delivered a warning: "There is a potential street war brewing."

MacNab cited the dangerous mix of armed factions squaring off at protests around the United States. Of all the current flashpoints for violence — the pandemic, the election, the economy — she called it the risk that worries her most.

"I am concerned that there will be a shootout at one or more of the Black Lives Matter protests," MacNab told House members. "There are too many guns at these events, held by too many groups with conflicting goals."

I think we are coming into very dangerous waters over the next couple of months," said Seth Jones of the Center for Strategic and International Studies. "This has the potential for larger numbers and amounts of street violence between groups and networks on opposing sides. This is serious. I haven't seen this kind of domestic terrorism threat, really, in my lifetime."

Analysts say far-right and anti-government agitators are either attacking protesters or trying to glom onto their cause to push their own agendas. Other extremists see a chance to trigger a violent revolution; still others, a race war. Meanwhile, guns are increasingly visible on the protesters' side too. Some armed anti-fascist groups and Black gun clubs have joined the fray as self-proclaimed community defense forces.
Yeah, all the ingredients are there.

And as bad as any of them is the fact that there appear to be no cooler heads trying to be heard.

I thought you crazy right wingers wanted everybody to be armed. You certainly fought for the right to carry guns. When did you change your mind? What was that silly quote about the tree of liberty and the blood of patriots?

~~~~~~
Where have you been? The street war has been going on for a long time. What do you think #OWS, #Antifa, #BLM, #NFAC, and Boogaloo is all about.
Shootings and killings in Chicago, New York, Baltimore, etc. These are street wars on a deadly basis the likes of which rival casaulty rates suffered by our military in Afghanistan and Iraq....

I have not seen any specific evidence to back up the claim the right wing is pushing the morons around the country to protest.

I thought you crazy right wingers wanted everybody to be armed. You certainly fought for the right to carry guns. When did you change your mind? What was that silly quote about the tree of liberty and the blood of patriots?

Who's changing minds.

If they open up, they'll die. Quite simple.

These are very dangerous times, historic rise in mental health problems, increases in suicides, murder rate up 16% in the 25 largest cities, millions of older American afraid to do much of anything, many millions of young people with no school, no job, and lots time to get in trouble.

The answer is the same as it was 6 months ago, stop the virus and rest of the problems will go away. The most frustrating part of the problem is that it is so simple and our failure is due to our lack of leadership and resolve to do the right thing. Endless gridlock, governments working at cross purposes, and lack of agreement as to the right course, has made American democracy a less appealing model for other societies.

Last edited:

These are very dangerous times, historic rise in mental health problems, increases in suicides, murder rate up 16% in the 25 largest cities, millions of older American afraid to do much of anything, many millions of young people with no school, no job, and lots time to get in trouble.

The answer is the same as it was 6 months ago, stop the virus and rest of problems will go away. The most frustrating part of the problem is that it is so simple and our failure is due to our lack of leadership and resolve to do the right thing.

Thank you Nostradamos.

We love reading the bullshit from you MMQ's.

~~~~~~
You and Coyote spread more manure than my four neighboring dairy farmers

You don't support protesters being armed? What do you think the NRA might say about that?

I am not a rightwinger.

The answer is the same as it was 6 months ago, stop the virus and rest of problems will go away. The most frustrating part of the problem is that it is so simple and our failure is due to our lack of leadership and resolve to do the right thing.
The lack of leadership must first be addressed.

About a week ago in Louisville there was an all-Black armed militia group that marched in a protest against police brutality, specifically the death of Breonna Taylor. The group is called “Not Fucking Around Coalition” or NFAC, who recently marched through Georgia’s Stone Mountain Park in protest of a confederate monument there. Another armed group of the ‘Three Percenters’ militia, known for its support of gun rights and opposition to government “tyranny,” and for its presence at white supremacist rallies like Unite the Right in Charlottesville also showed up. I don't know what the total number of participants were on either side, but the potential for a shootout was definitely there. And there was a shooting, one of the NFAC fired their weapon by mistake wounding 2 or 3 their own members and people ducked for cover but this time there was no war. This time.

We can argue the right and wrong of it, but when that accidental shot was fired it could have touched off a serious gun battle with plenty of casualties on both sides. The police erected barriers between the 2 groups and wouldn't allow anyone to crossover, and further violence was avoided but next time it might be a different story.

PS: pretty funny, calling Coyote a rightwinger. And yes Clayton, leadership is required by the state and local leaders to defuse situations like this from getting out of hand. Louisville cops did well to keep these 2 groups apart, but there are other places and other leaders who don't seem too interested in tamping down the violence.

Last edited:
day after day various factions of the far left indulge in vandalism, arson, theft and assault. Day after day, our mainstream media tells us we only need to worry about the right, instead. Day after day, posters who support all the mayhem try to tell us that they are somehow moderate and reasonable so as to establish all the extreme left violence as the new normal, thus moving the bar ever further towards the left.

I am not a rightwinger.

I know that. I guess a quick scan of a post and shooting a less than completely considered response sometimes makes me give an inappropriate response, huh? I'll have myself flogged first thing tomorrow. OK?

Honey, we're about February 1775 right now

the left is not respecting the peaceful transfer of power after the election.

that is the primary ingredient for a "street war". the breakdown of democracy.

and if trump is ousted, even partially because of your sides's refusal to play by the rules,

then it would not make sense for us to respect the next transfer of power.

after all, if only one side plays by the rules, it is time to end the game.

and if trump is ousted, even partially because of your sides's refusal to play by the rules,

And the right, completely oblivious to the situation is still, 3.5 years later blaming every event on “not accepting the election”.

Nothing to do with an out of control epidemic, economic collapse, high unemployment....Nope.

And the right, completely oblivious to the situation is still, 3.5 years later blaming every event on “not accepting the election”.

Nothing to do with an out of control epidemic, economic collapse, high unemployment....Nope.

It's really about the left attempting to capitalize on this by doing NOTHING but blaming Donald Trump.

When dumbshits like that moron in Michigan close the place down, what the fuck does she think will happen to the economy....

Then morons on the left blame it on Trump.

Unfuckingbelievable.

considering that you people were hysterical before the epidemic, when the economy was in great shape,

nope, it obviously has nothing to do with that.

Forum List

Back