Analysts Say Armed Groups At Protests Raise Specter Of A 'Street War'

I think all the predictors are there: summer heat, months of Covid restrictions, huge unemployment, the new release of horrible economic news....lots of division and anger, a very volatile situation. Then you add in various armed groups of extremists and agitators who have hijacking these protests and it isn’t good. Peaceful protests don’t need guns.

At a congressional hearing this month, extremism researcher J.J. MacNab delivered a warning: "There is a potential street war brewing."

MacNab cited the dangerous mix of armed factions squaring off at protests around the United States. Of all the current flashpoints for violence — the pandemic, the election, the economy — she called it the risk that worries her most.

"I am concerned that there will be a shootout at one or more of the Black Lives Matter protests," MacNab told House members. "There are too many guns at these events, held by too many groups with conflicting goals."

I think we are coming into very dangerous waters over the next couple of months," said Seth Jones of the Center for Strategic and International Studies. "This has the potential for larger numbers and amounts of street violence between groups and networks on opposing sides. This is serious. I haven't seen this kind of domestic terrorism threat, really, in my lifetime."

Analysts say far-right and anti-government agitators are either attacking protesters or trying to glom onto their cause to push their own agendas. Other extremists see a chance to trigger a violent revolution; still others, a race war. Meanwhile, guns are increasingly visible on the protesters' side too. Some armed anti-fascist groups and Black gun clubs have joined the fray as self-proclaimed community defense forces.
Yeah, all the ingredients are there.

And as bad as any of them is the fact that there appear to be no cooler heads trying to be heard.

Like maybe democrats telling their brownshirts to stop?
Yes, that sure would be nice. But they don't have the balls.

Maybe your end could be the first to be the grownup in the room.

Okay, just kidding. You don't have the balls either.

I think all the predictors are there: summer heat, months of Covid restrictions, huge unemployment, the new release of horrible economic news....lots of division and anger, a very volatile situation. Then you add in various armed groups of extremists and agitators who have hijacking these protests and it isn’t good. Peaceful protests don’t need guns.

At a congressional hearing this month, extremism researcher J.J. MacNab delivered a warning: "There is a potential street war brewing."

MacNab cited the dangerous mix of armed factions squaring off at protests around the United States. Of all the current flashpoints for violence — the pandemic, the election, the economy — she called it the risk that worries her most.

"I am concerned that there will be a shootout at one or more of the Black Lives Matter protests," MacNab told House members. "There are too many guns at these events, held by too many groups with conflicting goals."

I think we are coming into very dangerous waters over the next couple of months," said Seth Jones of the Center for Strategic and International Studies. "This has the potential for larger numbers and amounts of street violence between groups and networks on opposing sides. This is serious. I haven't seen this kind of domestic terrorism threat, really, in my lifetime."

Analysts say far-right and anti-government agitators are either attacking protesters or trying to glom onto their cause to push their own agendas. Other extremists see a chance to trigger a violent revolution; still others, a race war. Meanwhile, guns are increasingly visible on the protesters' side too. Some armed anti-fascist groups and Black gun clubs have joined the fray as self-proclaimed community defense forces.

And as bad as any of them is the fact that there appear to be no cooler heads trying to be heard.

And it would great if tbe Republicans would their white supremacist fascists to knock it off too.

I don’t these groups care about political parties.
I've changed my mind on something pretty important (to me) over the last couple of years. I always thought that anyone could grow up and choose to be part of the solution instead of part of the problem. That we all had that capacity in us.

I don't believe that any more. It's become clear to me that the ends of the spectrum are hopeless and worthless, at least for now, and that they need to be marginalized from any constructive conversation. You'll have no more success communicating with them than you would with a wild-eyed Jihadi on the streets of Damascus.

The contest now is between the crazed nutters on both ends, versus the rest of us. Obviously they're currently winning.

yet so far zero evidance of anyone other then the protesters inciting violance.

Sooner or later the shit will hit the fan, maybe when these rioting assholes take their riots to the suburbs. There are a lot of people out there with guns who might get extreme to keep what's happening in liberal cities from happening in their civilized towns and suburbs.

In Portland I know first hand that even though it's a far left infested town, there are still a lot of people sick of these bastard Aunt Teefah types that have been terrorizing the town year after year for whatever is the latest cause.
I've wondered for years now why someone with a gun hasn't finally snapped and headed downtown to shoot as many of these assclowns as they can get away with before they're stopped.
It's been amazing that it hasn't already happened.

Peaceful protests don’t need guns.

Where do you see peaceful protests?

I see building burning, children being shot & killed by BLM. A black man carrying a Trump sign was just murdered in broad daylight. A chunk of seattle gets taken over by force & democrat filth allow it to continue for 3 weeks.

Now it's supposedly "right wingers" who are causing all of it?

We had peaceful protests. No riots.

If you read what I wrote, you would see the causes are multiple but no one said “right wingers" who are causing all of it, but they are certainly part of the volatile mix.

you have riots. that you ignore them and focus on the peaceful protests is you being dishonest and supporting the violence with our dishonest denial.

any "rightwingers" trying to encourage the violence, are an insignificant part of the mix. this is all you guys.

we see who you are. you see it. if you don't like what you see,

you should spend some time thinking about that, instead of inventing reasons not to.

And it would great if tbe Republicans would their white supremacist fascists to knock it off too.

I've changed my mind on something pretty important (to me) over the last couple of years. I always thought that anyone could grow up and choose to be part of the solution instead of part of the problem. That we all had that capacity in us.

I don't believe that any more. It's become clear to me that the ends of the spectrum are hopeless and worthless, at least for now, and that they need to be marginalized from any constructive conversation. You'll have no more success communicating with them than you would with a wild-eyed Jihadi on the streets of Damascus.

The contest now is between the crazed nutters on both ends, versus the rest of us. Obviously they're currently winning.
I don’t want to be that negative....But it is hard:(

Well, in a weird way, it could be a positive. I don't think it will take a huge number to turn the tide. It's about starting small, with the right voices, and then creating a momentum.

I still believe that a majority of this country wants to see things really improve, instead of being stuck on "beating" the other "side".

the left is not respecting the peaceful transfer of power after the election.

that is the primary ingredient for a "street war". the breakdown of democracy.

and if trump is ousted, even partially because of your sides's refusal to play by the rules,

then it would not make sense for us to respect the next transfer of power.

after all, if only one side plays by the rules, it is time to end the game.
The proper response is called deescalation. Donald Trump could have been the president that brought the country closer together because he was not committed to the ideology of either party. He spent most of his life cutting deals which he could have done as president. Unfortunately bringing people together had about zero priority in his agenda. Stirring up division and hatred in his campaign worked so well for him, he continued it throughout his presidency.

trump's campaign was not "divisive" or "hatred". what was divisive, what still is and will always be divisive, is the racist premise that no white person can hold a political position that might run counter to the interests of some "traditionally disadvantaged group".

the way that you mis characterize his campaign, is the way that any attempt by him to reach out, or across to the other side, would be and has been mis characterized and dismissed.

no leader can lead, those that refuse to follow. you people have free will. he can't make you unite with us.

I think Biden will do a much better job of developing bipartisan legislation and keeping rhetoric contained. I can't imagine "Sleepy Joe" spending half the night baiting his critics on Twitter triggering heated arguments. It's not his style and that will do more to heal the country than anything else. We need a president that just does his job and leaves the rhetoric and speculation to others.

no dem will heal the division that is killing this nation. they benefit from it too much. indeed, with the minority portion of the nation mostly convinced that the gop is evul and wacist, time is likely to give complete power to the dems.

they know that. they openly gloat about it.

Trump simply has to state his opinion, whether it's an informed opinion or just speculation, with no regard for the damage it does. Words matter and words from a president matter a lot because ever statement from a president will be analyzed by friend and foe trying to gleam some understanding of what he is really thinking and whether his statements alter policy.

A presidents statements will be misquoted and taken out of context to serve the purpose of others. This is why all modern presidents till Trump considered their statements carefully and even discuss them with staff to make sure they had the right impact and were in line with his policies because a president's words create his policy and his policy guides all parts of executive branch. If the a president's statements are continually changing policy or putting doubt on priority, then various agencies will work at cross purposes which is exactly what is has happened.

the way trump's nearl yperfect and well thought out statement on charlottsville, was "misquoted" and actually just flat out lied about, proves that this point of your is wrong.

indeed, your response of this will be telling. can you admit that, in that one example, he was completely in the right and those who lied about him, ie the media and liberals, were the ones being "divisive and hateful"?

cause, if you can't, you really completely prove my point.

this is about your side. you are the problem.

Yes, the threat of more violence is there. But also, if you are telling the truth, there is no moral equivalency. The vast majority of the violence this far as been from the far left. BLM is literally the shock troops of the Democrat party as a large part of their funding is going straight to the DNC.

Can you imagine how the media would report it if a far right group, say the KKK, were sending millions of dollars to the RNC?

So your concern is valid, but right now the overwhelming threat is from the far left. To say otherwise is kind of ridiculous.

Yeah, in a way. In a country with hundreds of millions of guns in private hands, bad things are going to happen. Or rather, they are happening.

There are a few things that anger me about that article and the wider debate on that issue.

First, why attribute everything untoward to the protests? From the lootings to government thugs beating up or snatching away folks, there is always a light directed at "protests", as if there were more than the most tenuous connection.

Second, there were guns drawn because some hothead lost his calm. So? The event in Louisville was due to a woman passing out in the heat during pre-march security checks, dropping the gun and accidentally discharging. Clearly, such should not happen, but there was no danger of sparking a "street war", as right-wing hyperventilation would suggest.

Third, a "street war" is an animal entirely different from an accidental discharge and even a hothead pulling a gun. That would take sustained planning and coordination by numerous would-be warriors. Certainly, there will be dicey situations, and, as you do, I'd hope protesters won't carry guns during protests.

Finally, all that talk about "street war" serves is to discourage participation in peaceful protests - not to mention equaling protests to riots, denigrating protesters willy-nilly as "brown shirts" and "thugs". If that is successful, and the protests subside before they have any significant achievements, the racist right has pulled off an enormous victory, as systemic racism will, again, remain unaddressed. There will be no "street war" at protests, and most assuredly not because of protests. In that vein, careful consideration should be devoted to analyzing what "street war" or "hijacking protests" actually mean. The danger of an explosion of violence arises, as far as I can see, rather due to Trump losing the election and White supremacist militias exacting their revenge, as usual targeting the most vulnerable they can possibly find, elderly, unarmed black church goers or some such group.

BLM cares about political parties. Specifically, the DNC to the tune of millions of dollars. In a sense, BLM almost serves as a money laundering operation of the DNC. And yes, they are the Brownshirts of the DNC.

Yeah, in a way. In a country with hundreds of millions of guns in private hands, bad things are going to happen. Or rather, they are happening.

There are a few things that anger me about that article and the wider debate on that issue.

First, why attribute everything untoward to the protests? From the lootings to government thugs beating up or snatching away folks, there is always a light directed at "protests", as if there were more than the most tenuous connection.

Second, there were guns drawn because some hothead lost his calm. So? The event in Louisville was due to a woman passing out in the heat during pre-march security checks, dropping the gun and accidentally discharging. Clearly, such should not happen, but there was no danger of sparking a "street war", as right-wing hyperventilation would suggest.

Third, a "street war" is an animal entirely different from an accidental discharge and even a hothead pulling a gun. That would take sustained planning and coordination by numerous would-be warriors. Certainly, there will be dicey situations, and, as you do, I'd hope protesters won't carry guns during protests.

Finally, all that talk about "street war" serves is to discourage participation in peaceful protests - not to mention equaling protests to riots, denigrating protesters willy-nilly as "brown shirts" and "thugs". If that is successful, and the protests subside before they have any significant achievements, the racist right has pulled off an enormous victory, as systemic racism will, again, remain unaddressed. There will be no "street war" at protests, and most assuredly not because of protests. In that vein, careful consideration should be devoted to analyzing what "street war" or "hijacking protests" actually mean. The danger of an explosion of violence arises, as far as I can see, rather due to Trump losing the election and White supremacist militias exacting their revenge, as usual targeting the most vulnerable they can possibly find, elderly, unarmed black church goers or some such group.

First, why attribute everything untoward to the protests?

The Left and the MSM still refer to the people doing the rioting, burning, and looting as 'protesters', true? Hence the link from one activity to the other that might be more than tenuous. Isn't that why the big city majors, city councils and governors aren't cracking down on the violence? Freedom of speech, gotta allow protesters to protest, right? The thugs use the cover of protesting to riot, burn, and destroy, and the local democrat leadership lets them get away with it.

but there was no danger of sparking a "street war"

Beg to differ, there was plenty of danger of a street war complete with a lotta guns on both sides. Didn't happen in Louisville, the local cops made sure the 2 armed groups were not allowed to mingle, but in another place like Portland it certainly could. All it takes is one fool, maybe mentally ill. I don't think we should downplay the chances of a real battle, sooner or later.

Finally, all that talk about "street war" serves is to discourage participation in peaceful protests

I do not believe a peaceful protest includes guns. If you see guns then you oughta be discouraged about attending IMHO.

Yes, that sure would be nice. But they don't have the balls.

Maybe your end could be the first to be the grownup in the room.

Okay, just kidding. You don't have the balls either.

We're not the one's rioting,looting and burning down cities.

The crazed nutters are the ones destroying dem cities.
And we all know who they are.

Well, in a weird way, it could be a positive. I don't think it will take a huge number to turn the tide. It's about starting small, with the right voices, and then creating a momentum.

I still believe that a majority of this country wants to see things really improve, instead of being stuck on "beating" the other "side".

How does that work when one side is destroying cities?

How does that work when one side is destroying cities?
They're not "destroying cities". That's just the shallow, simplistic hyperbole to which you are addicted.

There is a much bigger picture to this, but you're simply not going to see it.

Not my problem.

They're not "destroying cities". That's just the shallow, simplistic hyperbole to which you are addicted.
If you can't admit that business and government facilities have been destroyed, and that complete sections of certain cities have been taken over, by the very people involved in these protests, this conversation cannot happen.

Forum List

Back