American Capitalism has Officially Changed

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2011
Opposing Authoritarian Ideological Fundamentalism.
In short, we now have a Federal Reserve that is an ongoing, active, aggressive, and very influential participant in our economic system.

While some of the lessons from the Meltdown remain unlearned, ONE thing we clearly DID learn was that the Fed can step in, purchase an ENORMOUS amount of assets to bail us out temporarily, and then unwind their balance sheet by selling those assets back off.

But now, with it coming in to buy huge swaths of specific ETFs, we're in all new territory. We now have a MASSIVE, all-new, and incredibly powerful tactic for buoying the economy. The variable regarding its effectiveness of this approach will be whether it has enough time to unwind its assets before it goes back in to save us by buying NEW assets.

I'll let the wingers from each end play their winger games with this, but this fundamental change in capitalism is going to cut across all party lines, so blaming the other guy is bullshit.

We won’t need it if democrats stay out of our business, and you cowards move out of you don’t like boiling your water. Thanks

We won’t need it if democrats stay out of our business, and you cowards move out of you don’t like boiling your water. Thanks
And pure talk radio ignorance of the topic, first response.
The reason why we have big huge corporations isnt because of capitalist Republicans it’s because of overregulated Democrats that kill small competition.

Cut the red tape let the little man out hustle, and you will see the big boys shrink

But you democrats love big business,, more easy to control

And pure talk radio ignorance of the topic, first response.
The reason why we have big huge corporations isnt because of capitalist Republicans it’s because of overregulated Democrats that kill small competition.

Cut the red tape let the little man out hustle, and you will see the big boys shrink
Now you're on to something else. What a shock.

Maybe you should complain to Trump. He and his obedient Trumpsters have reaped -- and loudly bragged about -- the benefits of an ultra-active Federal Reserve since the day he got into office.

And you don't even KNOW that.

In short, we now have a Federal Reserve that is an ongoing, active, aggressive, and very influential participant in our economic system.

While some of the lessons from the Meltdown remain unlearned, ONE thing we clearly DID learn was that the Fed can step in, purchase an ENORMOUS amount of assets to bail us out temporarily, and then unwind their balance sheet by selling those assets back off.

But now, with it coming in to buy huge swaths of specific ETFs, we're in all new territory. We now have a MASSIVE, all-new, and incredibly powerful tactic for buoying the economy. The variable regarding its effectiveness of this approach will be whether it has enough time to unwind its assets before it goes back in to save us by buying NEW assets.

I'll let the wingers from each end play their winger games with this, but this fundamental change in capitalism is going to cut across all party lines, so blaming the other guy is bullshit.

How clueless are you? That has been their MO since they were formed.

Very interesting perspective, and much in line with some cogitations of my own. Hopefully, this present situation will last just long enough to confront us all with the necessity of and willingness for fundamental redirection. Not long enough, and too few will be convinced. Too long, and too much damage will have been done.
This may have little to do with the 'fed', and much more to do with individual socio-political awareness.

Very interesting perspective, and much in line with some cogitations of my own. Hopefully, this present situation will last just long enough to confront us all with the necessity of and willingness for fundamental redirection. Not long enough, and too few will be convinced. Too long, and too much damage will have been done.
This may have little to do with the 'fed', and much more to do with individual socio-political awareness.
I can tell that within the industry, the opinion is that this is the status quo going forward. No going back now.

Look, in all honesty, this could turn out to be a good thing, an improvement. A Fed that can swoop in and buy pretty much anything like this could be a handy tool.

The problem is that when we find a shiny new toy, we find a way to break it before long.

Last edited:

This certainly is new. However we’ve seen the Fed become much more active in the last 20 years or so. Their actions can be summarized simply, it’s money printing.

When an entity has the power to print enormous sums of money without oversight or controls, this has to be considered dangerous. I have a sneaking suspicion they will always protect the big banks, big corporations, and the billionaires first and foremost...after all, that has been their MO.

Can good come of this for average Americans? Maybe so.

This certainly is new. However we’ve seen the Fed become much more active in the last 20 years or so. Their actions can be summarized simply, it’s money printing.

When an entity has the power to print enormous sums of money without oversight or controls, this has to be considered dangerous. I have a sneaking suspicion they will always protect the big banks, big corporations, and the billionaires first and foremost...after all, that has been their MO.

But what they have learned is that they can sell those assets back off without creating (too much, maybe) disruption in markets. That's the key to this.

The danger is if/when they don't have time to fully unwind before they have to start buying again.

So the Fed now, effectively, is our buyer of last resort. Not quite sure what to think of that yet.

But what they have learned is that they can sell those assets back off without creating disruption in markets. That's the key to this.

The danger is that they don't have time to fully unwind before they have to start buying again.

So the Fed now, effectively, is our buyer of last resort. Not quite sure what to think of that yet.
I’m not sure either, particularly when you know they have no real money to buy anything. They just print it magically.

The chances this will lead to harmful outcomes, has to be considered very likely.

But what they have learned is that they can sell those assets back off without creating disruption in markets. That's the key to this.

The danger is that they don't have time to fully unwind before they have to start buying again.

I’m not sure either, particularly when you know they have no real money to buy anything. They just print it magically.

The chances this will lead to harmful outcomes, has to be considered very likely.
Could be. As I said, we can't always be trusted with shiny new toys.

Not nearly enough information yet to judge. But I think this is where we are now.

What this virus crisis has forcefully demonstrated is that value is not based upon money or anything material. It is based upon humans and their well being. If anything good comes from this, it will be that enough of us take this to heart.

What this virus crisis has forcefully demonstrated is that value is not based upon money or anything material. It is based upon humans and their well being. If anything good comes from this, it will be that enough of us take this to heart.
unfortunately the people who should take this to heart, won’t. I don’t expect the .1% will give two shits. Their busy gaining more power and wealth.

but this fundamental change in capitalism is going to cut across all party lines, so blaming the other guy is bullshit.
Well, the pandemic is a fundamental change for sure but the Fed's actions seem far more likely to preserve capitalism than a pandemic induced free market collapse into chaos and depression.

I don't see anyone blaming the other guy. Do you??

I don’t expect the .1% will give two shits. Their busy gaining more power and wealth.
Actually the bond and stock markets are dropping like a stone. This means the top 1%'s wealth and power is dropping like a rock. What planet have you been on?

Libertarians were disgraced and exiled permanently in 2008 when they predicted massive inflation after parroting 1930's Austrian economists. Now you at least have the sense to say "harmful outcomes" instead of inflation. You would show even more sense by saying nothing until you get an education.

New Topics

Forum List

Back