Alan Bean RIP

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
He was the fourth astronaut to walk on the moon.
Apollo 12 certainly wasn't as dramatic as 11, but I remember he a Pete Conrad's stroll like it was yesterday.

Famed Astronaut Alan Bean Dies at 86

[/
By Jamie Ducharme
2:54 PM EDT
Alan Bean, the fourth person ever to walk on the moon, died on Saturday at age 86, NASA announced on behalf of his family.

Bean, a former U.S. Navy test pilot who was part of NASA’s third-ever group of astronauts, twice flew to space. His first voyage, in 1969, was as the lunar module pilot on Apollo 12, which made NASA’s second moon landing. During that trip, Bean became the fourth man to walk on the moon, after Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and his commander, Charles “Pete” Conrad.

Bean returned to space in 1973, as the commander of NASA’s second crewed flight to the U.S.’ first space station, Skylab.

QUOTE]

Shame to hear

I always thought it special to live on a planet where men had walked on the moon. They are rapidly dying off. I think this makes four left

Very sad. I think there are only 4 of the 12 moonwalkers still alive.

You can chock up another moonwalker thats dead:

giphy.gif

Only four remain...

Apollo astronaut Alan Bean, who shared his experiences as the fourth human to walk on the moon through paintings sprinkled with lunar dust, has died at the age of 86.

Bean died on Saturday (May 26) at Houston Methodist Hospital in Houston, Texas, as confirmed by his wife, Leslie. His death followed his suddenly falling ill while on travel in Fort Wayne, Indiana two weeks ago.

PHOTOALAN-BEAN-KNEELING-IN-SPACESUIT-1969.jpg

Astronaut Alan Bean, Apollo moonwalker-turned-artist, dies at 86 | collectSPACE

Forum List

Back