African American Student who worked as trash collector to pay for college accepted to Harvard Law School

Good for him. That being said, lots of people work "dirty" jobs before or during college. I know I did. Also, he probably earned more per hour as a trash collector than he would have working at McDonald's

Shows that if you put your mind to it, you can do whatever you want.
Okay, so now does this kid who worked hard to achieve his dream, does he have to think was it his abilities that got him where he is at, or the quota system that just put him in so the likes of Al Sharlaton doesnt sue the college? That is what affirmative action has done to the black people....

The Ivy school scholarships are all need based, they have zero merit based scholarships. I admire the young man's work ethic but his college will be paid for by endowments.

I read the entire article and didn't see the word "scholarship" once.

That said, even with scholarships, good grades are still required. This young man is to be admired, as is anyone who's subjected to such trying times. Every member of BLM should be forced to read his story, and forced to read the letter to his brother...

Shows that if you put your mind to it, you can do whatever you want.

Those are the dudes that make it in life as long as the government stays out of his way. We would have such success stories in Canada, except for the aforementioned "governments stays out of his way" bit...

"If you put your mind to it, you can achieve whatever you want."

Total bullshit. Only a tiny percentage of the population has the intelligence and the pluck and the luck to get into Harvard, let alone to graduate.

One's goals should be realistic, and scaled to one's own intelligence, talents, and resources. There are tons of "People of Color" who have gotten into prestigious schools, only to fail, or revert to worthless majors like, "Ethnic Studies."

Three cheers for the subject of this thread. Good on him.

"If you put your mind to it, you can achieve whatever you want."

Total bullshit. Only a tiny percentage of the population has the intelligence and the pluck and the luck to get into Harvard, let alone to graduate.

One's goals should be realistic, and scaled to one's own intelligence, talents, and resources. There are tons of "People of Color" who have gotten into prestigious schools, only to fail, or revert to worthless majors like, "Ethnic Studies."

Three cheers for the subject of this thread. Good on him.
Why the fuck do you have to go to some bullshit college when there are other means to your pursuit of happiness. Trades can do you very well, and later on in life, if you want to take a risk start up your own company. College is so overrated....

The clearest path to prosperity in this country is Entrepreneurship. The "sheep" who read the newspapers (and don't) only look at the highly compensated people who run large corporations, but these are only a small portion of the hundreds of thousands of prosperous small business owners (e.g., car dealers) who make millions.

And college offers almost no preparation for a life as an entrepreneur.

He'll regret it. Wasting 4 years at Harvard will land him a job that pays far less than a regional supervisor for solid waste

Remember, folks, this is not "Harvard," it is Harvard Law School. Big difference. Difference between Mount Washington and Mount Everest.

He'll do fine if he graduates and passes the Bar (neither of which is a given). I dare say, if he gets a full scholarship it will be money well spent.

Maybe he can get a job as a lawyer for one of those port-o-potty companies when he gets out of Harvard.He can handle all their fecal matters.

Forum List

Back