Virginia Dems call for immediate ban on legacy admissions

Yep, and all schools, public or private, have to look after their financial wellbeing.

I'd say in UVA's case even more so because they are, in part, a state funded university. It's not wise to piss away money on DIE.

The fact of the matter is they don't make money, nor even maintain, with full ride "diversity" students, they are a net loss to the university.
Yup. The full ride “diversity” students are being funded, in part at least, by the wealthy legacy parents. If that money dries up, then fewer “diversity” students will have the opportunity to go.

The problem with that is financial. Without the contributions of the wealthy parents, tuition will go even higher. Then the only people who can afford to go will be the kids of the wealthy parents anyway.
Not really

Harvard and Yale are private schools with billions in assets and investment capital

They can handle admissions however they please

But if you are a top student who cant afford to support the greedy, money grubbing professors in the manor to which they are accustomed there are plenty of state supported schools that will welcome you

Yup. The full ride “diversity” students are being funded, in part at least, by the wealthy legacy parents. If that money dries up, then fewer “diversity” students will have the opportunity to go.
If your banner reads “Harvard or bust” you might be disappointed

But it does not mean your life has ended

Not really

Harvard and Yale are private schools with billions in assets and investment capital

They can handle admissions however they please

But if you are a top student who cant afford to support the greedy, money grubbing professors in the manor to which they are accustomed there are plenty of state supported schools that will welcome you
Absolutely true. And not only that, if you are a top student who goes to a very good private school, albeit not a Harvard type that pays plagarizing professors $900,000, you will find amazing academic scholarships coming your way. You’ll graduate with no debt from a respected university.

If your banner reads “Harvard or bust” you might be disappointed

But it does not mean your life has ended
I live in an affluent neighborhood with townhouses going for $1 million or more, and I don’t think there’s an Ivy League graduate among us. I know the CTs of at least a dozen neighbors, since they post them when running for the HOA, and most of them are actually from state schools.

You can have a really successful life by going to a good school, doing well there, choosing a WISE major, getting a good job, and working hard. The press for an Ivy grad is disappearing now that employers know they’re all wokies likely to have been indoctrinated against the “oppressor.”

Universities are not expensive because of wealthy parents. They are expensive because of guaranteed student loans.

I live in an affluent neighborhood with townhouses going for $1 million or more, and I don’t think there’s an Ivy League graduate among us. I know the CTs of at least a dozen neighbors, since they post them when running for the HOA, and most of them are actually from state schools.

You can have a really successful life by going to a good school, doing well there, choosing a WISE major, getting a good job, and working hard. The press for an Ivy grad is disappearing now that employers know they’re all wokies likely to have been indoctrinated against the “oppressor.”
A HOA means you failed at one part of life. ;)

The problem with that is financial. Without the contributions of the wealthy parents, tuition will go even higher. Then the only people who can afford to go will be the kids of the wealthy parents anyway.
They won't go. If they can't get in because the legacy spot was taken by a minority, no reason to be donor. Money will dry up.

A HOA means you failed at one part of life. ;)
What’s wrong with an HOA? They contract out and handle major projects like roof replacements and take care of many types of structural issues. They also take care of the lawns, the shoveling, and maintain the community swimming pool.

The trade-off was that when I repainted my front door, I was limited to a choice of nine “approved” colors, and when I redid my deck, I was limited to a choice of three. No big deal.

I like knowing that after a major hailstorm, the HOA has people check all the roofs for damage and takes care of repairs. I like that when I noticed a water stain on my bedroom ceiling, I called the HOA, they found a leak from the roof, and repaired it and repainted the ceiling. All these things are done at no extra charge, and in 25 years of living here, there’s only been one special assessment.

I Intentionally picked a community with an HOA, and it’s hardly a sign I’ve failed at life. It’s a sign I could pay HOA dues to have other people handle some of home ownership’s problems while I concentrated my time and efforts to my career.

Care to rethink your statement?

What’s wrong with an HOA? They contract out and handle major projects like roof replacements and take care of many types of structural issues. They also take care of the lawns, the shoveling, and maintain the community swimming pool.

The trade-off was that when I repainted my front door, I was limited to a choice of nine “approved” colors, and when I redid my deck, I was limited to a choice of three. No big deal.

I like knowing that after a major hailstorm, the HOA has people check all the roofs for damage and takes care of repairs. I like that when I noticed a water stain on my bedroom ceiling, I called the HOA, they found a leak from the roof, and repaired it and repainted the ceiling. All these things are done at no extra charge, and in 25 years of living here, there’s only been one special assessment.

I Intentionally picked a community with an HOA, and it’s hardly a sign I’ve failed at life. It’s a sign I could pay HOA dues to have other people handle some of home ownership’s problems while I concentrated my time and efforts to my career.

Care to rethink your statement?
Nope, it's like living in some kind of collective.....But hey, if you like living "The Villages" life then you do you. ;)

Nope, it's like living in some kind of collective.....But hey, if you like living "The Villages" life then you do you. ;)
Yup….I’m happy with it! I don’t want to be approaching 70 and having to deal with leaking roofs. :)

I'd rather pick a top quality roofing contractor that uses the Tier 1 materials that I select than have someone pick some low bid contractor for me. They are low bid for a reason.
As you say, to each his own.

And don’t assume we go with the low bid. These are million-dollar townhomes with architects and structural engineers on the board. They want to see their roofs repaired well, too, and maintain their investments.

As you say, to each his own.

And don’t assume we go with the low bid. These are million-dollar townhomes with architects and structural engineers on the board. They want to see their roofs repaired well, too, and maintain their investments.
Well with my method there is no doubt. ;)

I get it though, some people would rather not put in the work, or possess the knowledge base, to deal with up-keeping their home.

Well with my method there is no doubt. ;)

I get it though, some people would rather not put in the work, or possess the knowledge base, to deal with up-keeping their home.
Exactly. I have enough dealing with the upkeep of the INTERIOR of my home. After five months, my new dryer just gave out. (Under warranty, but still a hassle.) And last year, the new dishwasher I ordered came with a scratched door. Stuff like that. It’s enough for me right there.

And don‘t even ask about the shower leak and the ceiling downstairs.

Exactly. I have enough dealing with the upkeep of the INTERIOR of my home. After five months, my new dryer just gave out. (Under warranty, but still a hassle.) And last year, the new dishwasher I ordered came with a scratched door. Stuff like that. It’s enough for me right there.

And don‘t even ask about the shower leak and the ceiling downstairs.
Buy Speed Queen commercial grade appliances and never look back.

Forum List

Back