Advice please, son just bought his first bike

Later I traded it in for a 360 El Bandito ...... :cool:
A Greeves was my last dirt bike then it was all street.
Nice......that brings up a lot of memories.

I had a friend that was a factory rider for Penton and later KTM........he competed in the ISDE in Europe.

Myself, I rode and loved Husqvarna for several years.

Owned and rode more dirt bikes and street bikes than I can count. Bultaco, Yamaha, Kawaski, Montesa, Hodaka, Husky, Triumph, BSA......and a dozen different Harleys.......wide glides, super glides, soft tail

Later got into Trials......was a ranked a top rider in both Oklahoma and Texas circuits.

Been motorcycle crazy since my Dad bought me one when I was 14 ....... :cool:
I grew up in Seattle along side Bob "hurricane" Hanna. Used to date his sister Marilyn. That man could ride!

I grew up in Seattle along side Bob "hurricane" Hanna. Used to date his sister Marilyn. That man could ride!
Sure, I remember him, he was quite a legend.

The most famous rider I knew was a flat tracker from my home town named Freddy Nix.

AMA Motorcycle Museum Hall of Fame | Freddie Nix

And right down the road in the next town was Gary Nixon.

AMA Motorcycle Museum Hall of Fame | Gary Nixon

It was so odd the #1 and #2 ranked AMA champs ruling the nationals in California were a couple of Oklahoma boys who grew up about 30 miles apart. ....... :cool:

Last edited:
Actually I bought it, he got his gear and his own insurance. So how long do you think he should "practice" with the bike before he rides in traffic? He's passed the motorcycle safety course but has no experience riding.
I always wonder about parents like you. Ones who buy their kids dangerous toys. Or let them enlist in the military. Or be a fireman or cop. My parents wouldn't let us do anything dangerous. We had to sneak. Lol

Sure, I remember him, he was quite a legend.

The most famous rider I knew was a flat tracker from my home town named Freddy Nix.

AMA Motorcycle Museum Hall of Fame | Freddie Nix

And right down the rode in the next town was Gary Nixon.

AMA Motorcycle Museum Hall of Fame | Gary Nixon
I notice your info says retired. Here is my pick to still enjoy the road.
Transverse 3 and front wheel drive. 84 mpg and top end just over 100. Price? 6,800 dollars. Two seater/tandem fuel injected Geo Metro motor and front drive.

They are due out at the end of 2016. You can get on a waiting list now though for a hundred bucks. And THEY WILL finance!
Check it out.

Actually I bought it, he got his gear and his own insurance. So how long do you think he should "practice" with the bike before he rides in traffic? He's passed the motorcycle safety course but has no experience riding.
I always wonder about parents like you. Ones who buy their kids dangerous toys. Or let them enlist in the military. Or be a fireman or cop. My parents wouldn't let us do anything dangerous. We had to sneak. Lol
He's 18 and he was getting a bike with or without me. Your response is not helpful.

He's 18 and he was getting a bike with or without me. Your response is not helpful.
What kind of bike are we talking? Pocket rocket? Cruiser? Wing?
Bobber? Makes a HUGE difference.

Point is tell him to be very careful. He will learn how slippery a bike is in the rain. The bike slipped right out from under me and I pulled a hamstring trying to stop it from happening.

I could tell him about speed wobbles. I almost crashed I went from fast to slow and the bike just started wobbling I almost wiped out on the expressway.

I could tell you about my one arm friend who wiped out and slid into a street sign. Cut his arm off.

18 is very young and dumb. They feel invincible. Tell him he is not. Be careful.

I had a buddy with a crotch rocket. He was doing donuts and he lost control and the thing kept doing donuts even though he was clearly out of control. So funny. Luckily he was alright.

I had a friend him and his dad got in a bad wreck. It's not pretty when you wipe out.

You know, first and foremost, he needs to become aware, aware of everything around him at all times. He needs to be taught to anticipate the unanticipated and how to respond. If he can do this, he will be fine. Just tell him to think with his head, and remember it is not a toy, but a powerful, unprotected means of transportation.
If he wants to play, take it to the fields/trails to ride.

You know the bigger danger is in town from car doors opening?
My friend lost his leg exactly that way! They took him to the hospital in 2 pieces.
Never got close to that happening to me. I ride in the left part of the lane, mostly to be visible to cars behind me and to see up ahead.

OP: I started at 18 and I'm 61 now, put about 250,000 miles on bikes so far. You got him started out right with the safety foundation course but he'll have to get out there sooner or later. The best advice is to watch people like your life depends on it, because it does. Ride like you're invisible and do not get aggressive in traffic. It's difficult to spot a small target's speed, even with the headlight on auto drivers will have a difficult time estimating your speed and distance.

And for God's sake, if he has the newer headlights, don't use the high beam in traffic. That was good advice back in the day but you will blind people with today's lights.

always watch (and plan) 10 seconds down the road so nothing comes as a "surprise"....and watch other vehicles front tires...the vehicle goes where the front tires are heading...watch them to avoid sudden lane changes and turns in front of you.

My friend lost his leg exactly that way! They took him to the hospital in 2 pieces.
Never got close to that happening to me. I ride in the left part of the lane, mostly to be visible to cars behind me and to see up ahead.

OP: I started at 18 and I'm 61 now, put about 250,000 miles on bikes so far. You got him started out right with the safety foundation course but he'll have to get out there sooner or later. The best advice is to watch people like your life depends on it, because it does. Ride like you're invisible and do not get aggressive in traffic. It's difficult to spot a small target's speed, even with the headlight on auto drivers will have a difficult time estimating your speed and distance.

And for God's sake, if he has the newer headlights, don't use the high beam in traffic. That was good advice back in the day but you will blind people with today's lights.
Thanks, about headlights I ordered the headlight "strobe" kit what is your opinion on that?

you are the only one on here who knows how mature he is....the talk i would have.....first dwi...bike goes and so does the car...simple as that...make him sign a contract if needed or better have the bike and the car in your name and the insurance...yes he still pays...but that way you will find out about any traffic offenses....not that sons hide stuff like that...and that way if he drinks and drives ....he forfeits both....tell him the first traffic infraction or accident or dwi....you sell them both and donate the money ....you gotta put the fear in them....then pray and worry

The good news is that an 18 year old has lightening fast reflexes when he spots dangers. The bad news is that 18 year olds are not, for the most part, cognisant of just how bad some drivers are, especially drunks, people distracted by phones and such, and really old people. What usually gets them is something they never saw coming, like someone who rams them from the rear while they are waiting at a red light. The chances of that happening in an urban environment are high. For this reason, I, who have ridden motorcycles for about 20 years in my life, seldom ride in an urban environment except to go to the dealer for maintenance. I know that is not the answer you wanted to hear, but that is my take on it.

Thanks, about headlights I ordered the headlight "strobe" kit what is your opinion on that?
If the bike has ajustable baffles on the mufflers turn them up as loud as legal. Old saying. "Loud pipes save lives".

Is giving opposing traffic seizures a good thing? I had a blinking system thirty or more years ago, called a Q Switch I think. But lights weren't like now and it didn't really help. It's the size of motorcycles that makes speed and distance hard to determine. I just ride defensively with that knowledge, like covering the brakes when traffic is wanting to enter from a side street.

always watch (and plan) 10 seconds down the road so nothing comes as a "surprise"....and watch other vehicles front tires...the vehicle goes where the front tires are heading...watch them to avoid sudden lane changes and turns in front of you.

also, depending on traffic conditions.... I like to go through intersections with another vehicle in the lane next to me. Not necessarily side by side but close enough to go through almost simultaneously..

When you do that you lower the chances of someone pulling out or turning in front of you because the other driver may not "see" the biker but they (usually) see a car....

Man....
No experience and he's going right to street bikes?
Does he have a car so he can ride the bike on weekends for awhile?

It's not a matter of if,but when are you going to crash.
And being a rookie those chances sky rocket.

Man....
No experience and he's going right to street bikes?
Does he have a car so he can ride the bike on weekends for awhile?

It's not a matter of if,but when are you going to crash.
And being a rookie those chances sky rocket.
I had a motorcycle before a car. Learned on the street, sometimes the hard way.

Forum List

Back